Andrew Robinson reviews the Legend L100

Options
Have you guys seen this?

https://youtu.be/4QO_0elbHLM

I can understand some of the issues he had with the L800 but I'm finding this review bordering on strange already. Almost as if he's faulting the L100 for prioritizing neutrality or accuracy.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I think he's a pretty good speaker and gave a detailed, but brief review. His vibe is very preppy and commercial, confirmed by all the Amazon links he has in his YouTube description. Not just for the furniture in the room, but we're also invited to "Shop My Wardrobe" and presented with links for his wristwatch and sweatshirt. :unamused: If that wasn't enough, lastly there's Amazon links for the skin care products he supposedly uses. I get that everyone is trying to make money and he probably gets kickbacks from the Amazon click-throughs, but when that's a part of your video description it just makes me question your credibility. :expressionless:

It looks like his room is quite lively, so that's an important consideration to keep in mind and likely shaped his listening impressions. He also talked at length about amplifier wattage requirements and complained that the Legend series was "so inefficient". But despite all the links to his lifestyle products in the video description, there's not a list of amplifiers or sources used in the review.

I certainly would've appreciated knowing what he paired them with, because if it was similar to what he used in the L800 review, it was a poor choice.
  • TopperDude
    TopperDude Posts: 166
    Options
    He complained about almost everything you would think would be pretty much common play with any major setup involving higher end speakers - from toe-in, to amp power, etc..

Having to toe-in to bring out the best in the system is a fault now? Minimizing any coloration and prioritizing accuracy actually gets you demerits?

I normally enjoy his take on equipment but am very disappointed with this clearly biased view.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,132
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    It looks like his room is quite lively, so that's an important consideration to keep in mind and likely shaped his listening impressions.
    Not only does his room look lively, if you watch a lot of his reviews you'll also notice he tends to favor forward sounding speakers. His preferred sound isn't neutral. He prefers an energetic lively sound. I think it's important to know any reviews favorite sound to know if that reviewer will speak to you.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,518
    Options
    Agreed. It’s important to have a feeling about the preferences of the person whose review you are reading or watching. Also nice to know about the associated equipment and the room.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    The guy says they sound great - it's too bad he just can't help saying all kinds of things that make me want to turn him off. Same with his L800 "review" - in which I concluded that I couldn't put much stock in what he said. I'm not even sure he "gets' SDA.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I think he's incorrect when he states that they need a lot of power/they're power-hungry - I didn't find that to be true at all. I will also disagree that the L100, L200, L600 sound the same as the L800 as long as you pair them with a sub (or two). The l200 is a very rich and full sounding speaker, I don't know that the L100 will match that identically with the smaller cabinet and smaller midbass/woofer. Yes, a sub will make the low-end moot between the L100, L200, and L600 but there's a lot more midrange presence in a bigger speaker compared to a small speaker.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Lively room indeed. Barren walls. I can hear the echo in his voice just talking, imagine what that's doing for actual music.

How is requiring being on stands, properly place, toed in, and on a solid amplifier a caveat?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Lively room indeed. Barren walls. I can hear the echo in his voice just talking, imagine what that's doing for actual music.

How is requiring being on stands, properly place, toed in, and on a solid amplifier a caveat?

Kind of nullifies his "expertise" as a reviewer
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • cap893
    Options
    Andrew Robinson appears to be biased towards Polk speakers - he liked the R200 better than the L100 but still did not give a positive review when all is said and done. The title of the Review of the R200 is labeled as "Cheap(er) (sounds like a back handed "compliment" to me. He also gave the impression that they were "home theater speakers" which would automatically disqualify them for some people who want a good speaker for 2 channel stereo.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    Options
    There's no way to sugarcoat it, he's a hack.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pjo1964
    Options
    You can tell he didnt like the L100 by the lazy way he did the video. It was like he didnt want to bother because the speakers were boring to him.

He didnt even let his wife comment, and usually she does.

The Legend 100 and 200 are excellent speakers so i dont get it, but to each his own.

Im still wanting the 703 😂
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    edited September 2021
    Options
    pjo1964 wrote: »

Why would we care about what his wife has to say?
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    I watch some of their reviews from time to time and find them to be one of many useful sources of information. They do get quite a few mainstream products to review from manufacturers and have a good subscriber number. I consider his approach to be the Youtube "influencer" type rather than the audiophile type. The lady chimes in with her point of view off camera. For his target audience, which is focused on design and style as much as audio, it makes sense to me to have both male and female opinions and perspectives. Their layperson's views of TVs and the ease of use of consumer electronics products is important. That's probably why Sound United sends him products to review, including the L800s.

Not saying I agree with his points of view necessarily or with the way he reviews things in a room with a lot of hard/reflective surfaces.

:)
  • pjo1964
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    pjo1964 wrote: »

Why would we care about what his wife has to say?

Well because women have better hearing than men and its good to have another opinion.