Changes on the horizon for Bowers & Wilkins

halo
halo Posts: 5,616
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Seems like a prime candidate for sound united to purchase.

All your base are belong to us
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    VR3 wrote: »
    Seems like a prime candidate for sound united to purchase.

All your base are belong to us

A brilliant idea. Then we can have the Bowers & Wilkins 802-R2D2 with Alexa built in.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Another one bites the dust. Sounds like a year from now, B&W will be in the business of Bluetooth speakers and wireless earbuds and/or home automation. Seems like Oppo all over again:-/
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Maybe they will finally make a decent speaker.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    F1nut wrote: »
    Maybe they will finally make a decent speaker.

naaaah. Why start now? They've been selling ear-gougers for decades.
    As to Sound United buying the carcass to scavenge... well... don't forget Samsung/Harman! ;)

Coming soon to a Walmart near you?
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    @Joey_V are you concerned about product support?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I've heard a few B&W's that I rather liked, in fact I almost bought a used pair back in January 2019 but decided on the KEFs instead. Sad to see this and I hope that they will not have the same fate as Harman Kardon.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Really enjoyed my time with CDM 1nt. Fantastic mudrange on those suckers. Still have the center channel.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Nautilus 802’s were my favorites. I liked the tweeter before they went to the diamonds they use now.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    While on one hand this can just be normal corporate turnover. However, for a while now people have been predicting the slow down, and end, of high-end audio. I wonder if this is because of a slow down at B&W, or just poor management.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    BlueFox wrote: »
    While on one hand this can just be normal corporate turnover. However, for a while now people have been predicting the slow down, and end, of high-end audio. I wonder if this is because of a slow down at B&W, or just poor management.

Appears to be the latter...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Are these the same people that predicted the demise of vinyl?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Saw this on a different site as well.

Sad to see, hopefully BW emerges out in decent shape. I look forward to the new d4 if they ever came out with one.

@halo Yeah I would be a little concerned, but there should be sufficient parts I would think and I bought from an authorized dealer so I'm sure there will still be parts.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    As I recall from a past life in the analytical instrumentation biz, EU regulations require (or at least used to require) something like 5 years of support when things "go away" due, e.g., to companies folding (or being bought out and shut down). Those requirements don't apply in the US, but if parts and support are available somewhere in the world, I reckon a US-based customer would have some recourse.

The above, of course, would be the worst case scenario.
    There's almost certainly too much value in the brand name for it to be allowed to lie fallow, were they bought out.