Mythos ST

Have a chance to snag some Mythos ST for what seems to be a good deal. They are silver finish and indications are they are in good functioning order, and have been treated well. I said I wouldn't do the big tower thing again, but the built in sub power would allow me to remove my current sub setup and free up some real estate in the living room - already found a matching center for a couple hundred bucks. Rears would follow after a while.

I am pretty happy with my current HT setup though, so perhaps just a dedicated 2 channel rig with my Emotiva USP-1 for source and 100w channels of a GFA-6000 running the ST's (for now...).

Anybody running these? Searched and most posts were pretty old, just curious if they are worth it in 2020? For $450 bux I don't think I wanna pass them up!
5.2 Main: X3500h, BDP-103, UBP-X800, M70-C3, XPA-3, XPA-2, NHT VT-2, VS-2, Super Zero Xu, PB-1000 x 2

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Big or little ones?
    ngorvnvgvvvk.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    "Tune in Tokyo..."
    I disabled signatures.
  • Not sure. Looking at photos, I would say small ones. I researched some reviews and never noted anything about different size ones. Read about ST vs STS vs ST-L, but nothing about 2 versions of the ST. To be clear this is a plain old ST.lr4m96krbvo2.jpg
    5.2 Main: X3500h, BDP-103, UBP-X800, M70-C3, XPA-3, XPA-2, NHT VT-2, VS-2, Super Zero Xu, PB-1000 x 2
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited February 2020
    @mantis I believe he might still run ST. I had the STS for a bit. I say $450 for ST is worth it.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    There is NO different version of the Mythos ST. There is only 1. In that picture the Small models are called the STS. The Mythos ST model is the larger ones.
    The Newer model of the ST tower is called the ST-L which is slightly different and upgraded from the Original ST.
    What are you getting for $450? The pair of Mythos ST? One reason you could get them that low is they are Silver which was the most un popular color option and didn't sell well. They should go for around $950-1500 now in good working order. They where $40000.00 a pair new so getting them for anything under $2000.00 is a great deal. They are incredible sounding speakers and can do everything right. Music they sing and you can listen to them all day long without getting fatigued. they are a beautiful transition from the top end to the subwoofer. You can set them up where you have no idea they are powered. They sound like full range speakers passive.
    A matching center is the Mythos 10. That is the match ing center and thats that. You can use other models but they are not an exact match as the Mythos 10 is.
    The STS tower is a less sounding speaker. If you can get them for $450.00 they are very worth it as they retailed for $3000.00 and anything under $1500 for the pair is a steal. They are remarkable in their own right but don't sound as good the ST does. I did side by side for weeks trying to decide on which model to buy when I was buying my Mythos system. I liked the form factor of the Mythos STS and the Mythos 9 speaker which is the exact matching center to the the STS.
    I have ST towers and 3 Mythos 10's for Center and Surrounds. They have a synergy that has been perfected by Def Tech and one of the best sounding if not the best sounding system in it's price class.
    The Small speakers on the floor are GEM's. They can be used as surrounds surround back and they match well. They are not the perfect Ideal speaker if you use SACD and DVD AUDIO as I do and did when I purchased my system. This is the very reason why I went with Mythos 10's for surround not just movie playback to perfection but multichannel music with no distractions when things move or play from any speaker.

From the picture it looks like the center channel on the wall is a Mythos 10.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • They are labeled Mythos ST...seems like a good deal, not that I need these in any way, shape or form!

Found Mythos 8 for a good price locally as well if I decided to go full HT with them. Surrounds would need to come later...
  • With all that said....I can get some LSiM703 for about 50 bux more?
  • msg
    I love 703s, but those Mythos look like a bit of a unique opportunity.
    I'd say go with them and see how that works out.

Then again 703s might not be so readily available anymore. I had to check myself, because there was a time I'd have said you can get 703s for around $500 to $600 anytime, but not so sure that's going to be the case anymore with the Adorama deals slowing/drying up. Might still be able to find them on the used market. You'll need stands for them if you don't already have them, but sounds like you currently have bookshelf speakers?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Yes, LSi9s, I beleive my stands would be adequate.

Regarding the 703s, 750 a pair on Polk and 600 a pair on Amazon. Not as cool of a deal as the Def Techs...
  • msg
    If you want to buy new, the best option is to sign up on Slickdeals and set an alert for Polk LSiM. Not sure what will be available moving forward, as these deals ran for months and they most likely cleared a lot of stock, but worth a shot.

Here's a link to the past deals on Polk LSiM on Slickdeals, purchasing through Adorama.
    I disabled signatures.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    The def tech st is a better deal.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    In my opinion the Def Tech's sound better then the LSIM's at least the 703's which I had in my home for Demo.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Missed out on the Mythos, but found some BP7002 with a CLR2500 for a good deal. So far so good...surprised by sound especially with the aluminum tweeter.