Speaker Stand modification. Which looks better?

2»

Comments

• verb wrote: »
    I vote for the larger diameter pipe. Aesthetically more balanced, and you can mass load em with more fill.

This.

/thread

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited February 2020
    @verb @Inspector 24 That would be an interesting but somewhat major redesign. Can't fill a posterboard facade/cover with sand and shot like I did the existing pipe, but I could envision a redesign where a 4" ABS pipe or aluminum tube (bedded into the concrete with epoxy) could replace the 1/8" wall thickness, 1-3/4" dia. black iron pipe I used, with pipe flanges at both ends. A threaded rod with a threaded insert epoxied into the concrete base could be the means of holding it all together. If a pipe of that size were filled with sand and shot it would be pretty massive and maybe excessively so for these speakers, which are not that heavy. The key to this system is that the pipe and flange and concrete block are plenty rigid and they couple to the top concrete block mass and then from there on down to the floor the transmission of vibration is prevented by the air spring that is theoretically tuned to a resonant frequency in the single digits Hz. I have to still optimize this but I now have two bicycle tubes, both very minimally inflated, one on top of the other and it sounds even better and it should because now the effective spring constant has been cut in half. In the future I plan to add a hose with an o*r*i*f*i*c*e (can u believe vanilla tried to censor this?) leading to an air reservoir with a pressure gauge and a schrader valve that should make adjustments a piece of cake and should get the resonant frequency down around 1 Hz or so.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform