2»

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    Haha

Doc
    You have a point.

My wife says if I go away, she won’t know which way is up or down with regards to all my habits hobbies and things.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    joecoulson wrote: »
    I’m never upgrading ever again.
    No doubt since your fish food budget keeps climbing, and you'll have college tuition and weddings to pay for someday.

I would say it stops when another expensive hobby takes its place with time and money, but some of you guys have proven that thinking wrong with hot rods and timepieces in addition to audio.

Yeah man, fish food is expensive! :wink:
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Never too old to upgrade. If hearing starts to go the you need bigger better so you can turn it up to hear.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    I have reached end-game here. There is nothing I can do to get better performance that won't set me back far more money than what the improvement in sound is worth to me.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    I have to assume that the deterioration of my high frequency hearing is causally related to the fact that there are now a pair of JBL compression drivers in my hifi loudspeakers. :)

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited January 2020
    Options
    At 66 I'm just hitting my stride in my Audio Habit, er Hobby ;)

I've been forced to wear Hearing Aids for the past 15 years or so, it sucks, but it is what it is.

I can still hear and distinguish changes and upgrades that I've made over the years. So, I guess as long as I can still hear and feel the subtle, small changes in the performance, I'll still be striving for good sound.
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    haven't reached "that age" yet (to my wife's chagrin). Indeed, she and our children are increasingly asking me to please prepare some sort of inventory for... well... you know... :|

Doc, I've set down and cataloged my Stereo and associated gear, including what I thought a fair value would be in todays market, so my wife or survivors would have some idea of "what is what". This is taking into account all the Tubes, Music, Cables/Wires, Vinyl setup tools, etc.

All I can say is, with the amount of gear that you have, you better be setting down when you hit the final tally :D

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I have to assume that the deterioration of my high frequency hearing* is causally related to the fact that there are now a pair of JBL compression drivers in my hifi loudspeakers. :)
    Mine* is from too much too loud not-so-great car stereos to the early 80s NJ club scene too frequently along w/close-up concerts at Madison Square Garden, and of course aging (62). I hafta to give a “nod” to MrLoren’s sig, too: “...my kids tell me to turn it down.”

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    I have a catalog of everything purchased (including all cables and accessories) for not only the morbid reason, but also in case of fire/theft/etc. All saved on the cloud. Would not be smart to omit this step for any of us at any age.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    I have a catalog of everything purchased (including all cables and accessories) for not only the morbid reason, but also in case of fire/theft/etc. All saved on the cloud. Would not be smart to omit this step for any of us at any age.

Wise choice, add a Video taken of basically everything you have in your home, stowed in a safe place, is invaluable when making an Insurance Claim.

• gp4jesus
    Options
    Wow! Between Joe & Mike, I consider their advice equal to, if not greater than a well designed power conditioner*; multiples* in a system w/separates. A redundancy to their advice is serial numbers.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 478
    Options
    Kudos to you. I would say never. But downsizing, decluttering and keeping it simple and down to the basics could be an upgrade.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte | Roku TV
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | Fire TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • gp4jesus
    edited January 2020
    Options
    A philosophical rant:

I think some “hawk” upgrades that are easy minus writing the check of course. Consequently overlook those those seemingly small efforts that have big impact the callouses, the soldering iron and other tools, one’s patience (& time)*, that can ultimately lead to personal satisfaction equal to if not greater than, ear-isfaction. At the same time we must be careful to avoid change for the sake of change - “well it sounds different...” ...having had the luxury of side-by-side A/B testing.
    *numerous, tiny set up details**; the larger - acoustics; parameters inside the SAF!
    **eg speaker spikes

I applaud & cheer all those chiming/weighing in on CH46E’s Infinity project, in spite of rather than instead of, because of the product brand. We know he’s restoring and upgrading what is, by its self a great product, worth the effort. Further I know, if a few of us were much closer we’d be in his workspace, w/willing eyes, ears, hands, tools, & test equipment at the ready, looking forward to measuring the immeasurable: his smile from “putting ears on” the completed work.

Thanks for tolerating my rant - Tony
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,877
    Options
    https://youtu.be/Ml-BBvSF3XY

Perfect timing for part of this thread
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    Options
    I don't think one can narrow done an age when you shouldn't upgrade. If you enjoy the hobby,why shouldn't you continue to upgrade if you are financially able.

In my case,I will be retiring in 4 years. Any serious upgrades at that point will have to get cleared through Mrs.Tea. Right now, I have my audio fund that allows me to get whatever I can afford without having to consult with anyone. All you folks that have come to terms about hearing loss as age creeps up,STOP making sense!!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/Ml-BBvSF3XY

Perfect timing for part of this thread

My wife and I actually had a conversation about this same subject! She said she has to go before I do because she won't know what the stuff is worth and wouldn't want to be taken advantage of selling too cheap. We came up with a solution that I should make a spreadsheet of what the bigger ticket items are worth like the 1955 Seeburg J or anything collectable basically worth over $100.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • lmacmil
    lmacmil Posts: 119
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    She said she has to go before I do because she won't know what the stuff is worth and wouldn't want to be taken advantage of selling too cheap. We came up with a solution that I should make a spreadsheet of what the bigger ticket items are worth like the 1955 Seeburg J or anything collectable basically worth over $100.
    I have solved this potential problem by having run-of-the-mill equipment that has no value to the collector or the audiophile! And I'm perfectly fine with that!

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Great thread! Since I'm fairly new to this hobby, there is no stop on my horizon. So far, my upgrades have been huge leaps in improvement, over time I'm sure that will taper off.

Maybe at that point, possibly, but just being able to tinker around and play with them is IMO a lot of fun. Being an engineer, I love to change things! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    Even with my retirement quickly approaching upgrades are still a fun part of my life. But hoarding gear isn't something I care to do anymore as I don't want that to become someone else's problem when it's my turn to jump in the box.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    lmacmil wrote: »
    erniejade wrote: »
    She said she has to go before I do because she won't know what the stuff is worth and wouldn't want to be taken advantage of selling too cheap. We came up with a solution that I should make a spreadsheet of what the bigger ticket items are worth like the 1955 Seeburg J or anything collectable basically worth over $100.
    I have solved this potential problem by having run-of-the-mill equipment that has no value to the collector or the audiophile! And I'm perfectly fine with that!

quite a bit of that here, too... poor Mrs. H just doesn't want to pitch out the few pearls with all of the old oyster shells when I transition to Tango Uniform status.

:|