Marantz PM8006 not enough amp or not enough speaker?

I got this thing running my Usher N-6361's and the combo seems maybe a little anemic. The room is a lot bigger than when I had them running off of a pair of Dayens monoblocks which was more than satisfactory then. I am just curious if yooz think they are underpowered or undersized? The room is about 14'x 20' with the ceiling sloping from about 8' to 18'

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    A quick glance at the towers indicates, to me, that is not enough speaker for the room volume.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Rats! I hope that my Mini Dancer II's will somehow fare better cause they are supposed to be replacing the 6361's.
  • FestYboy
    Placement might change it a bit at the LP, but in the end it comes down to cone area and speaker displacement. A cone of X area can only pressurize Y volume at it's xmax...
  • afterburnt
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Placement might change it a bit at the LP, but in the end it comes down to cone area and speaker displacement. A cone of X area can only pressurize Y volume at it's xmax...

It probably wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for that artsy-fartsy ceiling no?
  • FestYboy
    Less of a problem, yes. The angle of the ceiling is not helping.
  • afterburnt
    I guess I will just have to get these.dde58zcnzf0e.jpg
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    That's a big enough area to warrant big speakers and big power IMHO.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited January 2020
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Bump
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    afterburnt wrote: »
    fc6jcjlp0ks3.jpg Wonder if that would do it?

Those are PURDY! Probably purdy dang expensive too.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • afterburnt
    Got to spend a little time with this system and worked with it and the room as well. I am no longer concerned that this or the real setup will be lacking. I just saved a bunch of money on speakers! More ladies of easy virtue in retirement!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704

Horrible speakers!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• That looks like a patio heater.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Nesmith98 wrote: »
    That looks like a patio heater.

Or a floor-standing bug zapper.
  • F1nut
    They throw the sound out into space, so there's no realistic stage and no center image.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Not to mention, if you want "realistic" sound stage perception? When was the last time you heard a guitar player or a violinist that was 4 feet wide?

Also, as an added note, I heard a pair up at Jolida HQ's that I literally had to hold my hands between the speakers and the gear as I walked by to the stack because they gave off this gawd AWFUL pitch of sound that I could not stand. Never before or after have I EVER heard this coming from a set of speakers before. This was another rig that you could not pay me to listen too. This one though? Even if you had 1 million dollars? I'd still say no. No lie.

Jesse and I walked into another room shortly thereafter and heard a set of Noel speakers with the Jolida FX (IIRC) and the sound was SO much better. Very pleasing to the ears and a relief to the MBL setup at the same shop.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    Ha, I'd forgotten about hearing the MBL there. The monitors were Nola and they sure sounded good.

President of Club Polk

• afterburnt

I was just gonna buy the plastic cover.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ha, I'd forgotten about hearing the MBL there. The monitors were Nola and they sure sounded good.

Is that the Nola that was formerly Acarian ? If I'm remembering correctly, Acarian was the extension of Dahlquist?
  • F1nut
    It was formally Alon.

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited February 2020
    F1nut wrote: »
    It was formally Alon.

Yes, quite -- Nola being Alon spelled backwards.
    There was some soap opera associated with that change, as I recall... but I don't remember the details any more. Perusal of AA (audioasylum, that is) should turn up the tale.

EDIT: A quick perusal @ AA didn't turn up much, actually... now I am wonderin' where I remember reading about it.
  • dromunds
    Yeah, I'm fairly sure that Alon and Acarian are continuations of what was Dahlquist by one of the designers. I could be wrong but I think the Dahlquist DQ-20 and DQ-30 designs (especially the DQ-30) was carried forward.
  • dromunds
    As far as I can tell from some very brief research is that Carl Marchiotto is behind the NOLA speakers. He's the legendary speaker designer that continued Dahlquist's open baffle design (I think he designed the last Dahlquist floorstander - the DQ-30i, although it may have been prior iterations such as the DQ-20). After Dahlquist, Marchiotto started a company called Acarian Systems and they had a very well regarded floor stander called the Alon, which appeared to be a spitting image of the Dahlquist DQ-20 or 30 floorstanders. The Alon went through several iterations and I believe Acarian had many other speaker models as well. It appears to me that Marchiotto then started a company known as Accent Speaker Technology, of which he was the President it appears very recently. I saw some reviews from 2017 and 2018, discussing Accent's Nola speaker, and there's a review from Nov. 2017 concerning a Nola Boxer 2S bookshelf monitor that received rave reviews, apparently making a big splash also at AXPONA in 2018, as well as other shows. It purportedly carried forward the same house sound as the Dahlquist and Acarian brands, even though it was a monitor as opposed to the traditional Acarian Alon and Dahlquist floorstanders that used the open baffle design. Perhaps the Nola Boxer (it also had some iterations such as the Boxer 2 and Boxer 2S) was the monitor Jesse and Tom heard.
  • treitz3
    IIRC, this was about 6 or 7 years ago and I have no idea what model they were. About the only thing I can recall is that they had some sort of light tan/beige finish on them and that they were not a "full size" bookie like the Wharfedale's are. No taller than maybe a foot or so? Sorry, that's all I got.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dromunds
    http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/first-listen-nola-boxer-loudspeaker/

Tom: this appears to be the Nola Boxer 1 and I've seen the Nola Boxer 3 listed for sale, so there have been various iterations and different finishes. The original Nola Boxer looks to be perhaps somewhat smaller than the 2 and the 3 but I haven't looked at the specs to make sure. All of them get rave reviews from what I can tell. Don
  • treitz3
    That looks like it. Different finish but I do believe that is the one we heard hooked up to the new (at the time) JolidaFX.

Tom
  • dromunds
    Tom, there's a 2014 review of the NOLA Boxer 2, so the NOLA Boxer 1 must've been around for some time before that. The NOLA Boxer S2 won the Best Sound award at 2017 RMAF. It appears all of them were 15 1/2 inches tall. Very nice point to point crossovers with Mundorf oil and foil capacitors, and very expensive pure silver monofilament internal wiring. I'd like to find a used pair of these. I'll bet these are ones you guys heard.