SAD 1c Volume surge

Options
While I was upstairs at Christmas time my wife, who usually does not touch the stereo, was putting on a CD. Of course the peramp was set on phono so she got no sound. I'm guessing she first turned the volume all the way up and started hitting buttons. When she hit the right button there was a huge surge of volume, louder then it's ever set to. I never go beyond half volume which is very loud. She must have been at three quarters or more. It was only for a second or two. Since then the right channel has, at certain frequencies, a sibilance issue. Sounds like it was coming from the top RD094 tweeter. I had an extra one so I swapped it out and it seems to have gotten better, but not as good as it was before the surge. My question is can the XO's get damaged due the a surge? Is there something else I should look at?
Hafler DH220 Power amp Recapped
Hafler DH110 Preamp Recapped
Hafler Digital FM Tuner
Virtue Audio M1 Piano CD Player
Technics SL-1210-MK5 with a Rega Exact Cartridge
Polk SDA1c's(Rebuilt XO's by Ben) RDO194 Tweeters

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    yes they can, I'd also look at the other tweeter in the same speakers and the other speaker.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,328
    Options
    Try swapping the left and right speaker cables from the amplifier. Does the issue with the tweeter move speakers? If it does, you have an issue with the amplifier or something else upstream. If it does not?

Switch the speaker cables back to their original position.

Try swapping both the tweeters from the questionable speaker to the known good one and vice versa. If the sound follows, then it is the tweeter (may just be old and not broken in yet). If the sound remains the same after JUST swapping the tweeters and nothing else, then you have a crossover issue.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    I'd say it's very unlikely to be a crossover issue. These speakers were rated for use with amplifiers of "500 watts"; which by itself is fairly meaningless but it does suggest excellent power-handling capacity. When the crossovers are rebuilt, the typically-installed upgrade components tend to be of higher wattage (resistors) or higher voltage rating (capacitors) making it even less likely to be crossover damage.

'Course, anything can happen.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    If the crossovers are unmolested, then she may have tripped the polyswitch. They can get noisy after being tripped, and their resistance can chance.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • gdphoto
    gdphoto Posts: 182
    Options
    I believe the poly switches were removed when the XO's were rebuilt.
    Hafler DH220 Power amp Recapped
    Hafler DH110 Preamp Recapped
    Hafler Digital FM Tuner
    Virtue Audio M1 Piano CD Player
    Technics SL-1210-MK5 with a Rega Exact Cartridge
    Polk SDA1c's(Rebuilt XO's by Ben) RDO194 Tweeters