Lampizator Amber 3 DAC Review

Options
Mike Reeter
Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
edited December 2019 in 2 Channel Audio
Some time ago I decided to try and up my Digital Game a bit. I've always had Vinyl and CD's, but have never really migrated toward the Streaming/Ripping/Download side of Digital.

I wanted a DAC from a reputable Company that also had a Tube Circuit design. After many weeks of researching, I decided on the Lampizator Amber 3 DAC.

To those not familiar with the Lampizator brand, a 'different' name for sure. They are located in Warsaw, Poland. In Polish, Lampa means "Vacuum tube or Valve", Lampizator translates into "the one who makes things tubed".

Lampi produces some very nice gear, most of which is WAY over my budget. But, the Amber 3 is their 'Entry Level' DAC which was within reach. They have supposedly put a lot of Trickle Down Tech into this DAC from their much more expensive offerings.

Their U.S. Distributor is Lampizator North America. After waiting five weeks for the Amber to arrive (they are built to order) I placed it into the setup using an OPPO UDP-203 as a Transport.

First of all, the Amber is not a "Do-it-all" DAC. It doesn't have a Digital readout of Resolution, doesn't Stream, etc. It's simply a DAC.

Initial impressions, right out of the box were dramatic. The Amber has a lot of gain (has a Hi/Low Gain switch) so I opted for the Low position, and it drives the Preamp with ease. The SDA's seemed to have jumped to new life and were really strutting their stuff.

The Stage has grown taller, and has gained some depth as well. Performers/Vocals have moved a little more forward, and Instruments now have an increased space and air around them, along with a more accurate placement within the Stage.

From there, things have just gotten better with around 3-4 weeks under the DAC's belt, I decided it was time to roll a 12AU7 into the Output Stage, which uses one tube in that spot. In went a Holland Bugle Boy, and oh my...the Amber has taken on a slight, Silky tone that also brings a big helping of Texture to the presentation.

The DAC is Tube Rectified, has a single Input tube and a single Output tube, rolling tubes is not a Bank draining endeavor. It's has a very good build, weighing in at a little over 15 lbs. It has an Understated appearance that I like as well.

1qww53wq4rxl.jpg

The interior seems to be a tidy layout utilizing some quality components, Jupiter Copper Foil Caps, etc.

bzue6xapscl5.jpg

The Inputs include RCA, S/PDIF (with addition options) that output up to 24/192. The USB Input features 32/384 PCM and up to native 256x DSD.

ltvo7465oxrc.jpg

I signed up for the Qobuz Trial Period and have been enjoying what it has to offer, and have played a few files. I've yet to acquire any DSD Hi-Res material to really take advantage of the USB Input.

I'll wrap this up by saying that the Amber 3 is probably the best single Sonic improvement I've made to date, period. As one reviewer stated "My room has been transformed into a Concert Hall" I can relate. As bad as I hate to admit it, the Amber 3 has put my Vinyl setup on notice :#

I'm extremely happy with this DAC and can safely say that the Amber 3 is a "Destination Piece" for me.

https://www.lampizatorpoland.com/amber-2-dac

https://www.lampizator.com/amber-3

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    Nice DAC! Welcome to the digital world.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,095
    Options
    Well done, sir! Congratulations 🥳
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    Nice ...

pssst Mike, don't tell @halen you purchased a Lampizator dac
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,639
    Options
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Nice ...

O.K. I won't ;)

• halen
    halen Posts: 679
    edited December 2019
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Nice ...

O.K. I won't ;)

Very nice and congrats to you!

Lamp is end game.

halen

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,524
    Options
    Very nice, Mike, sounds like a great addition. Nice review!
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,426
    Options
    They chat about the Lampizator family all the time over at the WBF. Lots of folks like them around the world on all different types of systems. Nice to see a write up over here!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • halen
    halen Posts: 679
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    They chat about the Lampizator family all the time over at the WBF. Lots of folks like them around the world on all different types of systems. Nice to see a write up over here!

Tom

What is WBF? Wife Best Friend forum? I kid I kid..
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,909
    Options
    Love lamps....most are way out of budget though, but nice to see a more affordable option from them that still kicks some booty. Congrats man, enjoy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,546
    Options
    halen wrote: »
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

What is WBF? Wife Best Friend forum? I kid I kid..

Nope..... its Wanna Be Friends........ I got another couple... but well censorship and all :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,909
    Options
    I was kinda hoping you didn't like it, and might be selling at a huge discount. Which I might have to fight Halen for it then. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I was kinda hoping you didn't like it, and might be selling at a huge discount. Which I might have to fight Halen for it then. :)

Tony, As I seem to live in the middle of 'Audio Wasteland', with the only Retail Store being a Best Buy, this was a HUGE Leap of Faith for me, but the Amber is not disappointing.

It is without a doubt, my End Game DAC. The presentation of the Amber is Intoxicating...even when sober :D

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options

Tony, As I seem to live in the middle of 'Audio Wasteland', with the only Retail Store being a Best Buy, this was a HUGE Leap of Faith for me, but the Amber is not disappointing.

It is without a doubt, my End Game DAC. The presentation of the Amber is Intoxicating...even when sober :D

I'm just North of you in said wasteland...lol!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Nice write up @Mike Reeter and admittedly, never even heard of the brand before! Looking good! Keep us updated as you spend more time with her! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Mike Reeter
    edited December 2019
    Options
    halo wrote: »

I'm just North of you in said wasteland...lol!

LOL, You know what I'm talking about! Just about any and all of my Audio purchases are based on user and professional reviews. But, with the new era of Buy and Try for (however long) it's making it easier to experience different gear.

The Lampizator was a brand that I had came across by reading through different Audio Forums. The further I dug, it seemed like a lot of DAC Brands were comparing their product to Lampizator, you know "Just as good at half the price" hype.

Lampi offers some very good Tube Based Products, but I think their 'Bread & Butter' is their line of DACs.

btw, I have located a Polk Audio Legend Dealer in the St. Louis area that has a pair of L800's set up and ready to Demo...I'm almost afraid to go and have a listen, maybe we'll have to make the trip together.

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,482
    Options
    Lampi offers some very good Tube Based Products, but I think their 'Bread & Butter' is their line of DACs.

I had the pleasure to see/hear their offerings at the Munich High End Show in 2017. Lampizator was creating quite a buzz at the time and was one of the reasons I started my DAC quest. Ultimately, I ended up with the PS Audio Directstream and have not regretted it, probably my single best purchase to date, but would not hesitate to try Lamp if I was back in the market. I'm glad it's met and exceeded your expectations.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,525
    Options
    Just read the Positive Feedback review by David Robinson. I tend to trust his opinions. Nice snag!
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    JayCee wrote: »

I had the pleasure to see/hear their offerings at the Munich High End Show in 2017. Lampizator was creating quite a buzz at the time and was one of the reasons I started my DAC quest. Ultimately, I ended up with the PS Audio Directstream and have not regretted it, probably my single best purchase to date, but would not hesitate to try Lamp if I was back in the market. I'm glad it's met and exceeded your expectations.

I came within a eyelash of picking up a DSD when PSA had them on sale recently. My previous DAC was a PSA NuWave DSD model, a fine sounding unit.

I know I would have enjoyed the DSD, but I wanted something with some Tubes in the circuit.

• Mike Reeter
    edited December 2019
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    Just read the Positive Feedback review by David Robinson. I tend to trust his opinions. Nice snag!

Yes, I have probably read that review a dozen times :D His take was certainly a contributing factor in the decision to go with the Amber 3.
  • JayCee
    Options
    I know I would have enjoyed the DSD, but I wanted something with some Tubes in the circuit.

LOL...we had the same goal but came from different directions. After getting the DSD I wanted tubes in the mix. The BHK pre and amp are solid state/tube tech. I have a feeling we'd enjoy listening to each others systems. :smile:
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    JayCee wrote: »

LOL...we had the same goal but came from different directions. After getting the DSD I wanted tubes in the mix. The BHK pre and amp are solid state/tube tech. I have a feeling we'd enjoy listening to each others systems. :smile:

I would LOVE to hear that stack of PSA gear you have in your setup! The Preamp and Amp plus the DSD are on my "Lottery List" of gear :D

• monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,141
    Options

[/quote]

btw, I have located a Polk Audio Legend Dealer in the St. Louis area that has a pair of L800's set up and ready to Demo...I'm almost afraid to go and have a listen, maybe we'll have to make the trip together.

[/quote]

Could me the info on that St. Louis dealer
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    monepolk wrote: »

[/quote]

Could me the info on that St. Louis dealer[/quote]

Creative Audio Video & Automation
    10805 Sunset Office Drive
    Suite 300
    St. Louis, MO
    314-956-5861

• JayCee
    Options
    I would LOVE to hear that stack of PSA gear you have in your setup!
    You have an open invitation any time you're in the NW.