Can this be repaired?

Options
unrealii
unrealii Posts: 268
edited June 2004 in Troubleshooting
I pulled these out of my car after having them in there for a year and a half. My car was up for sale and I wanted to keep these babies (db3000) to myself. I guess I forgot to take into account that water can get down in my doors, but the window seals look good and I placed the end with the wires towards the inside of the car.

I noticed that the rust can chip off. If I clean up the screws, should I be good to go?

Pic of my cross overs:
LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
Post edited by unrealii on

Comments

• nemos2
    nemos2 Posts: 111
    edited May 2004
    Options
    You might try posting this in the car section as well.
    Polk LSi 15 Fronts
    Polk LSi C center
    Polk LSiFX Surrounds
    Outlaw Audio 990 Pre/Pro
    Outlaw Audio 755 amp
    Paradigm PDR-12 Sub
    Outlaw Audio Cables
    BetterCables Cables
  • ascienzo
    ascienzo Posts: 48
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Hi there:

Try coating the rusted areas with "Naval Jelly" --its a pink liquid that you can find at Home Depot...I would pull the screws off and do them separately...

Make sure you clean them thoroughly after treatment--if you want to be a real "fanatic" once you re-install the part, cover the screws and connectors with a hot glue gun (silicone) and you won't have to worry about this happening in the future...don't let the glue gun touch your wires!!

Rust will spread if left untreated, and you will lose your connection over time, as well as your component.

good luck, :D
    H/K525avr
    Fronts–RT55i [bi-wired]
    Center–CSi40 [bi-wired]
    Rears–RT38i
    Sub–PSW404
  • unrealii
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. These are going under the dash of my new car, so I dont need to worry about water getting in there. How would I treat the metal connections on the crossover itself? The inside looks good as new, so I believe all the rust is on the outside.
    LSIm system on order =D

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
  • ascienzo
    edited May 2004
    Options
    "Naval Jelly" :confused:

--It "eats rust" for a living...try it and see for yourself :D
    H/K525avr
    Fronts–RT55i [bi-wired]
    Center–CSi40 [bi-wired]
    Rears–RT38i
    Sub–PSW404
  • unrealii
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by ascienzo
    "Naval Jelly" :confused:

--It "eats rust" for a living...try it and see for yourself :D
    Is it safe to use on the soldered parts? I opened one up and saw a little rust and some white corosion or something.
    LSIm system on order =D

Prior car systems:
  • ascienzo
    edited May 2004
    Options
    It shouldn't harm anything as long as you clean it off thoroughly and make sure the component is dry prior to putting it back together or using it--be patient and you shouldn't have any problems--allow things to dry overnight before re-assembling.

good luck :D
    H/K525avr
    Fronts–RT55i [bi-wired]
    Center–CSi40 [bi-wired]
    Rears–RT38i
    Sub–PSW404
  • unrealii
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the help. It is greatly appreciated :)
    LSIm system on order =D

Prior car systems:
  • unrealii
    edited June 2004
    Options
    I tried naval jelly. It helped a little bit, but there is still a lot of rush left. I'm guessing I have to either replace these or use the cross over on my amp which isn't as safe for the tweeters.
    LSIm system on order =D

Prior car systems:
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    Options
    have you looked into getting new screws?
    call polk, they might be able to help you out with that
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • ascienzo
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Hi there:

You may need to try repeat treatments on the contacts with the Naval Jelly. A new set of screws sounds like a good idea--it's really hard from your photo to see how badly the rust has invaded...

Try using an old toothbrush with the naval jelly but you really need to let the jelly soak the parts--I understand this is hard to do without ruining the component, but it's the only thing I think would really help you.

Good luck.
    H/K525avr
    Fronts–RT55i [bi-wired]
    Center–CSi40 [bi-wired]
    Rears–RT38i
    Sub–PSW404
  • unrealii
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I called up Polk and talked to Kim. He was very helpful and suggested I try Flitz. It is item# 60436 on www.micro-mark.com . I'm going to order that stuff and try it out. If I replace the screws, and clean the terminals I think I should be fine. I tested some of the components on the crossovers with a multimeter and they are reading correctly.
    LSIm system on order =D

Prior car systems: