Modem & router recommendations

Options
I'm thinking of replacing my cheap combo modem/router with separates. Hoping to cap the expense at a few hundred or so. Does anyone have a recommendation for what's increased their networks performance?
Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I have a 2yo Netgear 1750 for sale here in the Flea Market. It worked great and I only replaced it because my cable modem was bad (long story).

Shoot me a PM if you want to talk

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/185627/fs-netgear-ac-1750-wireless-router
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    Options
    Thanks for the offer, but I'm looking for something more along the lines of the 3200 that you replaced the 1750 with. I'm streaming all my tv/sports and due to the layout of my house the modem/router are in a different room than my TV. So I can't plug in, and need a really strong wifi signal.
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    Options
    dr - what service do you have? What speed are you subscribed for?

A good decision to go with separates. Most everyone I know who's had internet reliability issues had those issues corrected buying a separate modem and router. Granted, there's more to consider here than just separating the functions, but generally, doing so provides significant improvement in performance, coverage and reliability.

I've had good luck with Arris Surfboard series modems and Netgear routers.

Check with your provider to see what they recommend for your particular data package. For instance, COX has a page for modems it certifies for particular packages they offer:
    https://www.cox.com/residential/support/cox-certified-cable-modems.html

Resist the compulsion to purchase a combo unit, even from a respectable manufacturer like Netgear. Maybe they work better than something provided as a rental by the cable/service provider, but separates have always just worked with no fuss in my experience. Provides a bit of flexibility as well - placement, replacement schedules, etc.

my .02
    I disabled signatures.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    dr - what service do you have? What speed are you subscribed for?

A good decision to go with separates. Most everyone I know who's had internet reliability issues had those issues corrected buying a separate modem and router. Granted, there's more to consider here than just separating the functions, but generally, doing so provides significant improvement in performance, coverage and reliability.

I've had good luck with Arris Surfboard series modems and Netgear routers.

Check with your provider to see what they recommend for your particular data package. For instance, COX has a page for modems it certifies for particular packages they offer:
    https://www.cox.com/residential/support/cox-certified-cable-modems.html

Resist the compulsion to purchase a combo unit, even from a respectable manufacturer like Netgear. Maybe they work better than something provided as a rental by the cable/service provider, but separates have always just worked with no fuss in my experience. Provides a bit of flexibility as well - placement, replacement schedules, etc.

my .02

Same combo we use in a few locations...Surfboard and Netgear..seem to work great!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    If you have things in several rooms and need strong wifi or even ethernet, try 2 or 3 Asus airmesh compatible routers or a netgear orbi set. I have been running asus airmesh setup for several years here. Airmesh is Asus version of a mesh system.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    edited December 2019
    Options
    We go through Xfinity and have speeds up to 100 mbps. I currently have a Motorola MG7315 combo that I purchased a while back to avoid the rental fee. At my old home, where we didn't use wifi for much more than browsing, it worked fine. Sure there were some drop outs and inconsistent speeds, but we had DirecTV for television, so any internet issues were just a minor inconvenience. Now that we're using YoutubeTV (which I love), crappy internet = crappy sports viewing = a pissed off mfer.

I have a netgear modem and router in my amazon cart, CM1000-1AZNAS and AC3000 respectively.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ND1PQMS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q8Y7D4F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It looks like the SB8200 would be the Arris equivalent for a modem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DY16W2Z/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I already have a Netgear wifi mesh range extender EX7300, so I should be covered throughout my 1700 sq ft ranch.

Couple questions...

If you clicked the netgear links you'll see that I've chosen refurbished to save a few bucks (about $75 total). Do you think I'm setting myself up for pain with this decision?

I know that time will tell, but do you think I'll have to increase my internet service to greater than 100 mbps? Seems like this gear is overkill if I don't, but I want to future proof myself just in case. Our traffic will be a max of 2 devices streaming and 2 devices web browsing at a time. I guess it's possible that there could be 3 streaming, but that would be extremely rare. No gaming at this point, but within 5 years or so the kids will probably be ready for that. Think 100 mbps can handle my current usage once I upgrade my gear?

Thanks!
    Post edited by dr1978 on
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    I like a meshed system. I use Linksys Velop... they work great. and give great coverage for outdoor and indoor wireless security.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    We purchased the ASUS AC3100 last year, haven’t had a single connection issue since.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-ac3100-dual-band-wi-fi-router-black/4465000.p?skuId=4465000
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    dr1978 wrote: »
    Couple questions...

If you clicked the netgear links you'll see that I've chosen refurbished to save a few bucks (about $75 total). Do you think I'm setting myself up for pain with this decision?

I know that time will tell, but do you think I'll have to increase my internet service to greater than 100 mbps? Seems like this gear is overkill if I don't, but I want to future proof myself just in case. Our traffic will be a max of 2 devices streaming and 2 devices web browsing at a time. I guess it's possible that there could be 3 streaming, but that would be extremely rare. No gaming at this point, but within 5 years or so the kids will probably be ready for that. Think 100 mbps can handle my current usage once I upgrade my gear?

Thanks!

The Netgear 3200 I bought was also from Amazon, and also re-certified; I have not had any issues with it so you should be fine. I also happen to like the apps that Netgear offers, very straightforward and you can control the features and settings from your PC or phone.

We were fine with 100 Mbps for a long time, and at last count we have 18 wireless devices on our Wifi network. And that is after I ran ethernet cable all over the house.
    Then a few years ago Optimum offered an upgrade to 200 Mbps for another $5 month, so I signed up and haven't looked back. But I never had any issues with 100, so with what you said you have you should be fine. For now!

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/