B&K Reference 4430

Options
Hello,

One of my coworkers had a B&K Reference 4430 sitting in his garage for a few years. He was not using it, said the center channel was cutting out. Over the weekend he cleaned out the garage. When I got to work this morning it was sitting in my cube with a note saying "all yours".

I completed my morning work and on break hooked up the warehouse CV's to it. I can't get the old Sony zone2 pre out to work without the remote so I used an IPOD. I noticed the gain on the center turned all the way down. I turned it up, it was full of crackle and static and it did cut out. Once all the way up it played fine. move the gain knob a little and static and cut out. also when turning the gain on the center channel there is a slight click from the knob assembly area, no static or click on the left or right.

I've read a lot of good about B&K amps. Is this worth keeping and trying to fix? Anyone know anyplace in San Diego area I can take it to? How is it vs. my Emo?

Cheers.
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    B&K is on the darker, warmer, musical side. Emotiva is more on the brighter side. Which is better depends on your speakers, the rest of your system, and what your goal is.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,464
    Options
    Nice, Loren!

I like B&K gear with LSiM speakers. Maybe you can try it out in your main system, driving only your front mains to see what you think of the combination before spending any money to fix it.
    I disabled signatures.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Nice gift.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    Options
    I would deoxit the gain pot. The higher end B&K amps were sweet sounding.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    I have a very similar amp. I really like it it’s warm and musical with great bass texture and plenty of power. Awesome karma!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    B&K is on the darker, warmer, musical side. Emotiva is more on the brighter side. Which is better depends on your speakers, the rest of your system, and what your goal is.

I do listen to a lot of music, currently have an XPA3 Gen3 powering LSiM-705 and 704C

msg wrote: »
    Nice, Loren!

I like B&K gear with LSiM speakers. Maybe you can try it out in your main system, driving only your front mains to see what you think of the combination before spending any money to fix it.

Had it playing for a bit on the warehouse Cerwin Vegas using an IPOD/Iphone head phone jack direct to the amp. Sounded good.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    Congrats, that's a nice gift.

I would do what msg said and see what you think of it compared to your XPA3 Gen3.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • rburgess714
    Options
    Nice gift. Good advice from Scott on hearing it sounds on your fronts. I picked up an old B&K 202 a couple of years ago and it’s very warm and musical.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
    Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • mrloren
    Options
    OK, I've had this playing all morning hooked directly into my warehouse media PC via 3.5mm to RCA. These old Vegas sound a lot better than I ever thought. I did turn it up for a bit before 7 and it rocked this place hard.

No channel has dropped so it does look like a gain control knob is the problem. put them on full or high and it work just fine.

I had one of the techs look at it he confirmed that it looks like the only problem. Later we will open it up see if there is anything else he see's. Looking through the cover he said the caps all look new with no leaking.
  • mrloren
    Options
    This afternoon we opened it up. My tech friend looked it over and didn't see anything odd. All caps and boards looked good. He was impressed as was I on the build quality. not much soldered on crimps and screws all over. Said it's the center channel Potentiometer. It's a $5 part for an A50k one that is on there.

Here are some pictures I took of it
    w9pym7ltzfkv.jpg
    bmsmowy2n3k5.jpg
    hq80aw42oe85.jpg
    rxozwfe8ih31.jpg
    pbkjsclat11g.jpg

It is a little dirty but not bad for an old unit. No burning or odd smell even after being on all day.

I'll be calling a shop tomorrow to see how much the charge is to changer the potentiometer. Most everyone at work will be starting vacation tomorrow so there goes getting one of the techs to do it. My soldering skills are not good enough to even think about it.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Awesome! Those amps have 60 amps of current so they can run those CV's into concert levels! Great score!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mrloren
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Awesome! Those amps have 60 amps of current so they can run those CV's into concert levels! Great score!

Oh trust me before 7 I can crank it and I did this morning for about 1/2 hour. I then have to turn it down but it still played all day. I had the center playing all day and around lunch I switched the left to right. so about 4 hours on left and right and 8 on center. Didn't cut out at all. Now touch the gain knob for the center and crackle static. leave it alone it's fine.

I'm either going to replace the Emotiva in my main HT or add it to the bedroom HT. It will not stay at work, too nice of a unit for that.

I even told they guy who gave it to me what we though was wrong with it, he just said it's mine now.

Hey Jessie @F1nut what does the almighty think?
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    I would deoxit the gain pot. The higher end B&K amps were sweet sounding.

This! A Deoxit job on the pot will likely take care of it.

store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1602/.f

If you can't get the deoxit locally, alternately, some CRC QD would be fine also and can be found at most any auto parts store.

https://crcindustries.com/products/qd-174-electronic-cleaner-11-wt-oz-05103.html
  • mrloren
    Options
    I took the amp to a repair shop today after work. Nice guy opened it right there and gave it a full check out. He was using Deoxit on it, that didn't solve it. To replace the potentiometer and a cleaning is going to be $100. He has to order the potentiometer so it won't be ready till mid to late Jan.

• audioluvr
    Options
    Too bad you're not closer. I'd have done it for free. Ok maybe some beer.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• rburgess714
    Options
    You still scored, there’s one for sale on CL in OC for $550
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office

• mrloren
    Options
    Too bad you're not closer. I'd have done it for free. Ok maybe some beer.

Hmm I do like em road trips. For the first time in 10 years I have 2 weeks off. Oh wait I have my daughters wedding next week.
    You still scored, there’s one for sale on CL in OC for $550

Yes I did. I asked the guy who gave it to me again today if he wanted it back. He said "all your's" to me again Maybe when I get it back I'll swing by the church and have it blessed. I am glad I took it to the shop today. I would have brought it home and played with it, might have messed something up.
  • msg
    Options
    Nice, Loren, glad it worked out and you're keeping it.
    I'm curious to hear what you think of how it compares to your Emotiva amp for music once you get it set up with the LSiMs.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrloren
    Options
    I got the B&K back over the weekend. Put it in, ran Audyssey listened to some tunes. Not much difference from my XPA3. Put on my Peter Gabriel SACD and turned it up a bit, still not much difference, maybe a tad warmer. We watched a couple movies Hobbs and Shaw I cranked it to -10db still no OMG moment.

I offered it back to the guy who gave it to me, he said he doesn't want it. So I think I might sell it. I have it still in my HT rocking on.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Personally if it were me and the two amps are a wash SQ wise in your system, I would sell the emotive. You’ll get a lot more money for it that you can use to upgrade something else. Just my two cents...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • msg
    Options
    Loren, interesting on your experience between the B&K and Emotiva.

Paul, are you thinking the cost differential based on age between the two mostly? I was just reading up a little on the XPA3. I've never heard one, but interesting design differences vs that of the old school.
    https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/xpa-3-gen3

They talk about their power supply design vs the more conventional:
    Regulated Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS)
    One of the main limitations with traditional amplifier designs has always been the power supply. Until recently, a power supply that could deliver enough current to run a modern high-powered amplifier required a bulky transformer and large filter capacitors. While these traditional power supplies delivered good performance, they were heavy, expensive, and inefficient. For years, precision components like preamps and processors used regulated power supplies, but regulated supplies powerful enough to be used in large amplifiers remained complex and prohibitively expensive
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    I have never heard or owned Emotiva anything, but whatever else is true about them they retain their value something fierce. This one already has 11 bids (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Emotiva-XPA-3-Gen-3-power-Amplifier/153804594389?hash=item23cf77dcd5:g:WZYAAOSweMJeJ1n5) and the last one on ebay sold for $879 shipped. Despite technological differences, Loren says they sound pretty much the same. So I would seriously consider making $800 and put it into something else if were me...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • mrloren
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Hmm

One thing I forgot to mention. My wife didn't say anything or ask if I changed anything. That his how close they sound together. My daughter and her husband had the same.

Now if I sell the Emo and get $800 for it I'm out $400

Sell the B&K maybe get $350 for it, I'm up $250 as I only had to pay to get it fixed.

The B&K is well over 20 years old, the Emo is less than 2 years old.

There is nothing in the $800 range I want to upgrade to. Parasound A31 is $2700 that would be about the only upgrade I'd want to make right now.

I'll test the waters on C/L see if I can get any bites.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    You’re not using the right financial calculations. You have $0 right now, $350 vs $800 depending on what you sell. That’s a pretty big diff...

Now the emotiva has a warranty, I do get that being a factor. If you’re happy and don’t need/want the money then rock on man. Just really explaining how I would be thinking about it...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • audioluvr
    Options
    But if the norm is to refresh component electrolytic's every 20 years for best performance he has 17 years to go with the XPA whereas the B&K is due which could run $400 - 500 due to the 4 giant beer can sized power caps.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• mrloren
    Options
    I'll leave the B&K in the system till I sell it. What would be a good asking price?

• audioluvr
    Options
    $50. I call dibs!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• rooftop59
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    I'll leave the B&K in the system till I sell it. What would be a good asking price?

Ebay will get you more than craigslist, but I think that $350 is probably a realistic ebay price (you might be able to get a bit more if you include a pic of the repair invoice). With craigslist, who knows, but you live in a huge market so you might be able to get close to that.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • rburgess714
    Options
    $100 and I will pick it up😀
    Living Room

Office

• mrloren
    Options
    $100 and I will pick it up😀

A little more than that. Fishing is not cheap and I already spent $100 getting it fixed