In wall volume control recommendations

Sonos amp, 2 sets of ceiling speakers, kitchen volume and dining room volume are separate.

We’ll split the output from the sonos to independent wall mount volume controls.

But I’ve not used wall (box) mount volume controls.

Any recommendations?
Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments

• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    I used Niles controls around '90 for 6 zones. I thought they were very good quality at the time, but I'm not sure there were many other manufacturers available. I used Russound in '95 for 3 zones. I think they are not quite as good as the Niles were, but it may have something to do with the speaker placement (same Polk in-walls, but ceiling mount as opposed to the previous wall mount). Around '05, I put in a Monoprice outdoor box. Seemed okay but, a few weeks ago, I discovered that it had frozen up.

I think if budget allows, I would go for the Niles.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Niles are the best overall in wall volume controls. They make a standard version and a high current version. Your amp will determine which model to get.
    They also make outdoor volume controls with weather proof boxes if you ever add outdoor speakers.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited December 2019
    Is there a reason why it has to be in-wall ?

Maybe a more simpler solution is to look for another used Sonos amp, and you'd have 2 separate volume controls at your finger tips, not on the wall.

I have 3 sets of speakers on one sonos, just run a speaker selector switch with separate volume controls. Usually once the volume is set, I'm not monkeying around with it often.

Something like this maybe...

https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Selector-Switcher-Control-Commercial/dp/B00UZ86M0E/ref=sr_1_37?keywords=speaker+selector+switch&qid=1576500389&sr=8-37

Also wondering.....if the 2 sets of speakers are located close together, kitchen and dining room, how much of a volume difference is needed anyway ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    New construction- no walls at the moment so in wall is easy. My friends are not audiophile nor tech savy. Speakers are fairly close but they would like separate controls. Even a selector might be too much!

Going to run speaker wire from sonos, split it to the volume controls.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • tonyb wrote: »
    Is there a reason why it has to be in-wall ?

Maybe a more simpler solution is to look for another used Sonos amp, and you'd have 2 separate volume controls at your finger tips, not on the wall.

I have 3 sets of speakers on one sonos, just run a speaker selector switch with separate volume controls. Usually once the volume is set, I'm not monkeying around with it often.

Something like this maybe...

https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Selector-Switcher-Control-Commercial/dp/B00UZ86M0E/ref=sr_1_37?keywords=speaker+selector+switch&qid=1576500389&sr-Krogerfeedback

Also wondering.....if the 2 sets of speakers are located close together, kitchen and dining room, how much of a volume difference is needed anyway ?

I used Russound in '95 for 3 zones. I think they are not quite as good as the Niles were, but it may have something to do with the speaker placement (same Polk in-walls, but ceiling mount as opposed to the previous wall mount). Around '05, I put in a Monoprice outdoor box. Seemed okay but, a few weeks ago, I discovered that it had frozen up.