Additional Turntable - Denon DP-59L

Options
Found a Denon DP-59L in great shape and the 120 volt version so I decided to get it. Seller has all the original packaging down to the tag that hung on the head shell.

I am researching what cartridge to use. Since I have a SoundSmith MIMC on the VPI I would like to go in a higher output direction. If you have an suggestion please pass them along.

Once I get it and have it setup I will get more pictures.

bk2i4m3qj9kr.jpeg

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    If you could find a nice used Denon DL-160 it’s a bang for the buck HOMC that sounds good. One of my buddies had Soundsmith re-tip one that had a bad stylus and he also liked that quite a bit. I have a Denon DP-72L table that I like a lot. I had Soundsmith re-tip an SAE 1000e which is a re-labeled Coral 777 I believe. Very nice. But it’s a low output MC, although I think they may have made HOMC.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    I've read good things about the newest Hana offerings. They have both low and high output MC with elliptical or Shibata tips. If vintage is a consideration, options abound...dromunds has hit on a few good ones already.

FWIW, vintage Grace F9 is an excellent MM choice. Soundsmith makes a few different drop-in replacement stylii for the F9, which says something.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »
    Found a Denon DP-59L in great shape and the 120 volt version so I decided to get it. Seller has all the original packaging down to the tag that hung on the head shell.

I am researching what cartridge to use. Since I have a SoundSmith MIMC on the VPI I would like to go in a higher output direction. If you have an suggestion please pass them along.

Once I get it and have it setup I will get more pictures.

bk2i4m3qj9kr.jpeg

Great looking Deck!!! Congrats!

• LoStrings
    Options
    I have used one of these tables for years, and it is my Holy Grail table...I use a Denon DL-103 LOMC cartridge, with the "S" arm, and it is a fantastic combination.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I have had a DP-59L for seven years now. I got it from long time member and the SRT King ESavinon at Polkfest 2012. It is a destination piece. I use the Denon DL-103R with the SoundSmith upgrades with a contour diamond and ruby cantilever potted in a Zu headshell (fully nuded). I use a Parks Budgie SUT. A great sounding combo! Some cartridge pics.

wqvly47tg91f.jpg

qvcfyz9l61l0.jpg

vr46is40zdry.jpg

z0pungsj6cwp.jpg
    Carl