New SDA 1A owner - Cabinet questions

Options
jhouse55
jhouse55 Posts: 13
edited December 2019 in Vintage Speakers
Hello All,
I just picked up a pair of these last night. Two things off the bat, one speaker has a SL1000 tweeter, and the other has a blown SL2000. I can work on that, but was looking to see what the best thing to do with one of the speakers that got moisture in the past. Looks like the front edge piece needs some work and would love to make another piece, but finding a matching veneer piece may be impossible. Is just gluing the piece of veneer all I can do? Is this veneer able to sand down (lightly?) Please see pics and thanks in advance. qxudvwpqleq4.jpeg
l5ejcdt260mw.jpeg
nry7o6aslipw.jpeg

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Save yourself time and money, part them out. Water damaged particleboard is beyond repair.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jhouse55
    Options
    I’ll get some use out of them first, kind of looking bad if you tip this one back. Is there much difference in sound between these and the SDA 2’s with the two drivers versus four? There are a set here locally, and noticed they had the wood top instead,, Newguy here on these SDA units, but should have went with the wood tops.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Yes, there is a huge difference, for the better.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jhouse55
    Options
    Dammit! Thanks though F1
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    If it is just the bottom perimeter damaged, can you just cut the entire bottom off and replace with solid wood?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 435
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I picked up a pair with water damage on the base of one riser a while back. I was able to build up the area with bondo, sanded and stained. It wasn’t perfect, but it did look better.
    ugq3xazpawlg.jpeg
    3yyi07wufsuk.jpeg
    xqvtevvxsrlc.jpeg
    yrafzw2gxllh.jpeg
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    If it is just the bottom perimeter damaged, can you just cut the entire bottom off and replace with solid wood?

The riser is already gone from the looks of the picture. That appears to be the bottom of the cabinet itself.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    xschop wrote: »

The riser is already gone from the looks of the picture. That appears to be the bottom of the cabinet itself.

I was referring to the bottom damaged partition/piece. Replace with same type wood, but solid piece.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • jhouse55
    Options
    thanks for the comments guys,, this is my first pair of SDA’s. Due to the fact they sound so damm good, i am going to use them until the next pair comes along . I stupidly without knowing, went for these because they had the four drivers versus the two drivers like in a SDA 2. I am going to have to listen to a few different models in this price range, but i will wait to part these out until another arrives
    Local area near me (tampa), a guy has a set of SDA 2b mint for around 400, and another has a set of SDA 2 for around 350. I like the wood top and bottoms of the SDA 2 for obvious reasons now, whereas the 2b looks like a veneer special again. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

@la2vegas I would take you up in a heartbeat if i was closer. What model are they?
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    jhouse55, go for the 2B's but try to negotiate a better price. These are one of the desired models.

You will not find a better sound (with upgraded tweeters) unless you pay a lot more for the larger models.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • jhouse55
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Guys, I’m including two pics. One is the SDA2B no wood tops (guy says he has the original boxes too) and the other is of the SDA 2 with wood tops. Both i think i can get for 350. What has me baffled is the http://gimpod.com/sda-id.html site. It shows the 2B in black (studio) and it shows the wood tops as being 2B. If both are B versions, i think i’ll lean towards the wood tops if they are in good shape. Can i tell for sure on the back? I think they both say SDA 2. Thanks in advance, “thanks Polk for the new addiction”
    viz7s5p9rfxf.png
    3qsdoo4vc4uu.png
    snixiy13ujyr.png
    kx7kbg20my65.png

• pitdogg2
    Options
    One is more than likely to be a SDA2a. One would need to check drivers on it to be certain.
    SDA2a has both drivers mw6510
  • jhouse55
    Options
    Thanks @pitdogg2 , i might be able to get him to take one out. Is there much difference between the 6503 vs 6510? I sent you a pm reply on those SL tweeters if you get a chance to respond.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    One is more than likely to be a SDA2a. One would need to check drivers on it to be certain.
    SDA2a has both drivers mw6510

• pitdogg2
    Options
    SDA2b is the better speaker. It is cheaper to recap. Both drivers can be difficult to find.
    Yes I've seen your PM and answered it earlier in our PM conversation.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    jhouse55 wrote: »
    I’ll get some use out of them first, kind of looking bad if you tip this one back. Is there much difference in sound between these and the SDA 2’s with the two drivers versus four? There are a set here locally, and noticed they had the wood top instead,, Newguy here on these SDA units, but should have went with the wood tops.

Hey @jhouse55 I was pretty much where you are today, only a few short years ago! Keep us updated, and as you have already seen, plenty of help and advice for us SDA lovers!

And welcome! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    Options
    The SDA 2B Studio version came in black or brown wood grain vinyl.

President of Club Polk

• jhouse55
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Well went and listened to those brown walnut 2b models tonight. They are in perfect shape, and they sounded nice being pushed by a mcintosh amp, but i don't know, after hearing my 1A’s the other night, these just kind of sounded muffled. He also had a pair of 1C there with wooden tops. Those sounded a little more open and had the 194 tweeters in there. Im not sure if i’m just stuck on the four mid drivers vs two, but i did hear a difference tonight. Thursday, i’m going to look at those 2b with the wooden tops.

Actually those might have been 2A units tonight, i’ll ask him tomorrow which type of connection is on the cable i noticed there are model differences in the A and B with the mid drivers
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    I've owned both the 2B's and 1C's The 2B's can be modded cheaper and can be TL'd which is another level up tweeter wise. Both are great speakers. You'll get a little more base extension with the 1C's
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • jhouse55
    Options
    guys, thanks for all the input. I went today and listened to the other wooden top 2B and liked them enough to cut a deal and they are now mine. Small little gouge on the back corner of one, so may look into filling if i can then sanding it down. Would love to do a light light sand on the top and bottoms, then re oil and they should be set for quite some time , outside of mods ;)
  • pitdogg2
    Options
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Pictures please?
  • jhouse55
    Options
    Hi @Faustin , they are the ones above with he wood tops. Love them! I may make a seperate thread on the sanding and veneer chip
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I do not know if I'd sand, veneer is thin I just cleaned with lacquer thinner and wiped on polyurethane. I did 4 coats.
    mine were 2.3tl they just unbolted, I'm not sure how your top and bottoms come off.
  • F1nut
    Options
    The 2B end caps are glued and stapled.

President of Club Polk

• jhouse55
    Options
    @F1nut , do you know which model sda 1 and 2 that came with risers mounted on the bottom? i have pretty much ruled out the wooden top versions. I don't see that info in gimpod
  • F1nut
    Options
    Your 2B's never had risers.

President of Club Polk

• jhouse55
    Options
    Yes, wooden tops, so you’re not sure on either on the overall question? I think I’ll hunt down some old brochures.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    I believe only the wood top 1C's and 2B's were riserless. Though I think early studio 2B's had risers. I'm at least 50% sure on this.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • jhouse55
    Options
    Thanks, looks like I will be making a set for my 1A. Just saw another pair of 1A’s on EBay that looks like they did the same.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Yeah I'm sure, but you have 2B's, so what does it matter? All of the SDA 1's and SDA 2's including the Studio 2B came with risers.

President of Club Polk