Hurricane Nut Install Question

I recently picked up some Polk 7Bs that I am overhauling and I was wondering if I am supposed to only use hurricane nuts on the speakers or on the radiator as well? My understanding is that the radiator must be tightly fastened against the cabinet, wouldn't the hurricane nut raise it slightly? Additionally, should I look into replacing the foam rings under the speaker? If anyone has any pics of their hurricane nut install it would be appreciated, I have been googling a bit but cannot find my answer.

Best Answers

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,677
    Answer ✓
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The hurricane nut goes on the back side of the baffle, not on the front.

Also: Installation, not "install". "Install" is a verb.

Furthermore, the inflection is on the SECOND syllable, not the first. (inSTALL)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    edited November 2019 Answer ✓
    Drill out the existing holes slightly larger than stock, but smaller than the outside diameter of the nut shaft. Push the hurricane nut slightly into the hole from the BACK SIDE. Using a 1/4-20 thread screw with a washer slowly draw the hurricane nut into the hole. Do not over torque the screw as you will spin the nut. It helps to apply a LITTLE five minute epoxy to the exterior and flange of the hurricane nut before installing it. Do not get any in the threads. It's a good idea to let the epoxy cure overnight before mounting the drivers.

I see in your pic you have the original screw in the nut. You cannot use the original screws. As long as the stock gaskets are not ripped/torn they are fine. They are supposed to be paper thin.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Answers