why polk signature s60 is 2-way design ?

Hi everyone, firstly,please forgive me for my English. :(
I am using polk speakers, psw125 subwoofer and S20 bookshelf. I think they are very good value, the sound is also very wide and warm. I am going to continue to buy polk products in the future. For example, when I moved a bigger house, I might consider S60.

Excuse me, how about listening to music in the signature series S60?
I saw the introduction of the official website. The S60 is a 2-way structure speaker. I am very curious, loudspeaker of 4 drive units, why is it designed as 2-way? Will there be a compromise in the sound compared to the 3-way design?

thanks a lot!

Chris of Southern Hemisphere

2niz1gaf2deb.jpg
living room: psb B1 *4 , central psb C1, sub psb s200, denon avr-x2311, PC
study: polk S20, polk psw125 sub, yamaha A-S 501

Comments

• pkquatpkquat Posts: 677
    edited October 28
    I think it is considered a "2-way" since it is using 1 tweeter, and 3 identical 6.5" midrange/bass drivers. The primary crossover is between the tweeter and the 6.5" driver(s). If all 3 6.5" drivers were outputting the same sounds, it would only be a 2-way crossover between higher and lower frequencies.

From the Polk website https://www.polkaudio.com/products/s60 near the bottom it says "Four-Driver Cascading Tapered Crossover Array".

From the Q&A portion https://www.polkaudio.com/products/s60#QA there is a question about the "Cascading crossover." I don't know the answer for sure, but I think the answer is either correct or close. My guess is that the top 6.5" driver plays higher frequencies from tweeter the crossover point and all the lower frequencies, and the lower two 6.5" driver only play a range of lower frequencies. It is not considered a 3-way crossover since the top 6.5" driver is not getting its lower frequencies cut off. The crossover may not even be electronic. There might be a divider in the cabinet changing the cabinet size the speaker sees. This can create different frequency ranges and the performance of an individual speaker.
    Answer from Polk S60 website Q&A
    FUBARNOW · 7 months ago
    "It is my understanding that the S60 is a 2&1/2 way speaker. What this means is that the 3-- 6&1/2 inch drivers all play the same material EXCEPT the bottom 2 start to roll off sooner than the top driver which plays all the way to the Crossover Point-- making the top 6&1/2 inch driver the more of the midrange driver which crosses over to the tweeter. The crossover is somewhere around 2.5 to 2.8 kz--I can't remember right off. If I am wrong in my description of this speaker, I'm sure a Polk Employee will correct what I said--I got my information from a reliable source."

In My Opinion (IMO) There is no compromise in sound between this and a 3 way. The tweeter and the top 6.5" driver are working to create the very good imaging of a two way speaker, and the lower speakers are helping improve the bass.
  • skrolskrol Posts: 2,825
    No need to get hung on how many "way" a speaker design is. There are many 2-way crossover designs that will outperform 3-way (or more way) systems. Part of the problem spreading out the crossover frequency points. The design should avoid crossover frequencies in the vocal range, otherwise it distorts voices (female in particular). Then there are phase issues.

There are excellent speaker designs that are full range just to avoid using crossovers.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade), Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7; Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,681
    sounds like a 2 1/2 way design
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, North Star Design USB dac32, Cayin Venus cd-100i,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval, Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
  • verbverb Posts: 8,009
    Welcome @Chris1975 from the southern hemisphere!

You will find that there is plenty of good advice and recommendations for speakers can be found on this forum. The posts above already show the knowledge and willingness to help.

Glad you like Polk products! And I may say, your English is pretty good! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 5,814
    I may have wondered the same thing until I got some 2 way Usher speakers. I my opinion they leave nothing to be desired. A 2 way can be more than adequate for accurate sound.
  • thanks all friends!
    living room: psb B1 *4 , central psb C1, sub psb s200, denon avr-x2311, PC
    study: polk S20, polk psw125 sub, yamaha A-S 501
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,975
    Chris1975 wrote: »
    thanks all friends!

Check reviews of s60s on the forum. People really like them!
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch