Possible power outage for next two days

Options

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,336
    Options
    Good point, Steve.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Houston is like one of worse areas for flooding now. They destroyed the natural buffer zones being the salt marsh areas and built on them. And those are right at sea level I believe.

At least they got to lose the World Series. :#

Another 7 game WS and the WN's win after almost 100 years?
    I saw the HR's getting ready to win and what happens? Out goes a great, but a little tired pitcher. In comes a guy that seemed to pitch what the WN's wanted to blast out of the park. :s Then the HR's bring in a guy who couldn't throw a strike for nothing it seemed. :#
    My wife says it's a roster thing. Oh well...I really wanted Houston to win after that 7th inning stuff back in Wash..

It was like watching the NFL play-offs. Almost predictable...

Just a thought or two on another 7 game WS. A lot more $$$$ gets made off of 7 games compared to 4, right?!

Sorry.

I hope for the best to all of you dealing with those horrible fires there in California.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    To clarify, when I use the word "they" I mean THE VOTERS. Voters are directly to blame, the politicians are simply slimy opportunists. They can't get there without YOUR help.

Good point, so what does that say about the voters then ? Not really fair, because like my state, it's run by a few cities and everyone else can suck it.

I've spent a good chunk of time in California, you'd be surprised how many are just working class, common sense thinking, regular folks. Basically who feel like they are under a tyranny, with nothing they can do. Same scenario in places like NY, Illinois.

That has a lot to do with solving problems, whether we want to admit it or not. Politicians do what they do best, inject politics into every situation. Which confuses and delays any real solutions. Nothing is more frustrating than having to pay a boat load of taxes, only to see your city/state keep sliding downhill, to never have any real solutions to problems that pertain to the general citizenry. That statement can apply to just about every state too.

Sometimes, through the course of time, things warrant a push of the reset button. Just like we do with audio gear when things go haywire and solutions escape us. I would suggest that many need to push that button in their own states, reset....get back to basics and forgo the politics and agendas. Do what is right for the people, their safety, their prosperity. Fook the rest, because when it comes down to what's most important, the answers should be clear.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,336
    Options
    73147209_1300894676750323_5065359200540950528_n.png?_nc_cat=104&_nc_eui2=AeHccwYxATnA0ALAfjage7QRojz2EVSdiUFnSD-zpONoh9gIiWbvIhq6smAXyBpCQyGB8QaD3qH3fj4D2Z6ydIfIXwkJdipHo2dElpysMp4JrA&_nc_oc=AQl_-orfz8pBV1FnJfmijwdDcdYu2CrxCvMvCX34XQEsvVsJaT5r9q0f-bofZSbfguU&_nc_ht=scontent.frkh1-1.fna&oh=8e2c52622dd131a4728a0c9819035e1d&oe=5E52A4A4

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Dang Bruce well said
  • tonyb
    Options
    Good clip from AFT, unfortunately the country as a whole is on that exact path.

When we look around, at the problems we face, be it wildfires or whatever, the lack of common sense solutions dictate that a certain agenda is in the air with a goal that isn't conducive to the largest free nation on the planet. These are all just symptoms of a much larger underlying problem. Unless we can gather the gonads to tackle the root cause of problems, we will fall to the path laid out in the previous post.

That's about as far as I can go without dipping further into politics.

The good news is, if we wait long enough, the oceans will rise and California won't have to worry about fires anymore. So they got that going for them. :D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,877
    edited November 2019
    Options
    How is the @BlueFox household holding up?
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Good clip from AFT, unfortunately the country as a whole is on that exact path.

When we look around, at the problems we face, be it wildfires or whatever, the lack of common sense solutions dictate that a certain agenda is in the air with a goal that isn't conducive to the largest free nation on the planet. These are all just symptoms of a much larger underlying problem. Unless we can gather the gonads to tackle the root cause of problems, we will fall to the path laid out in the previous post.

That's about as far as I can go without dipping further into politics.

The good news is, if we wait long enough, the oceans will rise and California won't have to worry about fires anymore. So they got that going for them. :D

I know you meant that tongue-in-cheek, @tonyb, but I wish someone would explain to me how the oceans are going to rise. I just can't get my mind around that.

And yes, I'd also like to see the people living in CA post that they are OK.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • tonyb
    Options
    Well, technically speaking from the climate change guru's, the oceans will rise from the melting of polar ice caps.

We've heard that that for decades now, yet polar ice melts, freezes again, on and off, like it's done for thousands of years. The only times, historically it's risen to the point of devastation is around the melting of the last ice age. Polar bears, made the symbol of climate change, were suppose to become extinct, but populations are not only thriving, they are growing.

Again, part of the climatic cycles the planet goes through, and always has. We can't change it, no amount of money will stop climate change from happening. Nor will any amount of changed behavior by those pesky humans. All we can do is live in natures glory, prepare as best we can, with the technology we have.

Saw a story the other day, by scientists who claim polar ice growth is a reflection of the amount of CO2 in the oceans and air. A delicate balance that when one overcomes the other, usually makes Antarctic ice grow or retreat. I thought to myself, what can throw so much CO2 into the oceans ?

Underwater volcanoes maybe, cracks in the earths crust that continuously spout gasses into the oceans. All part of a planets cycle of life.

Then I thought, if that can throw enough co2 into the oceans, shouldn't the same thing throw that much into the air above the surface ? You would think, right ? We have on/off years of volcanic eruptions, some quiet for a while, then suddenly we have 4 or 5.

What else can throw tons of carbon into the air ? Planes maybe ? Literally thousands flying every day all over the world. Yet...we are told farm animals are contributing ??? Your 1987 Buick ?? Your BBQ grill or wood burning fireplace ?? C'mon, some rational thought is needed.

Those fires in California certainly aren't throwing anything into the air now are they ? Yet that's ok, because we couldn't clear timber to save some rare insect. News flash, the planet is not short on insects. Maybe save an owl ? Guess what....they'll find a new home, they can fly ya know.

The other scheme is carbon credits, which dictates that it's ok to pollute, as long as you have enough money to pay for it. You simply buy more carbon credits and suddenly your pollution is given a blessing. Those who can't afford it, will have to live a more restrictive lifestyle. Another darling of California policy makers.

Over the years, I've come to adopt the late George Carlins line of thought.....the planet is fine, it's the people that are fooked up.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    edited November 2019
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    “A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.”
    ― Alexander Fraser Tytler

This is California, the majority of voters care nothing about "fixing" things

Thomas Jefferson was worried about this happening to our democracy. The number one reason for a democracy to fail, financial problems due to the above.

BTW Tony B, remember in the 70's when they were saying we were about to enter an ice age.

Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    How is the @BlueFox household holding up?

Most likely surrounded by ashes and next weeks mud slides ;)
  • polrbehr
    Options
    See, that's where they lose me. There is a finite amount of water on this planet, isn't there? It exists, but it's not living and cannot be created from anything not already here. That includes all the ice at the poles, vapor in the atmosphere, water underground, etc. I've lived on an Island my whole life, and aside from normal erosion, cannot say that I've seen any changes in water levels at beaches I've been going to for 50 years. In simplest terms, all I can envision is a glass of ice water; you can fill a glass with water, add enough ice to almost have it to the top, and yet, as that ice melts, the water level doesn't change. Does it??

And speaking of the fires in CA, what do people think happened 500 years ago in this country, when lightning would start a forest fire in Oregon that could burn, unchecked, for weeks or even months? One fire probably put more smoke particles and CO2 into the air than we have since we colonized the place! It's ironic that everyone wrings their hands and says we have to "do something" now, or else the world will end in ___ years.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    I ticked off a science teacher when he told the class we were running out of fresh water. I said doesn't the sun make more fresh water when water is evaporated from the oceans? If that is so, we should have a fairly abundant supply.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    I ticked off a science teacher when he told the class we were running out of fresh water. I said doesn't the sun make more fresh water when water is evaporated from the oceans? If that is so, we should have a fairly abundant supply.

What if you're out of fresh water now but the rains won't come for a couple of months? What then?

Mud slides
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited November 2019
    Options

The issue with 'fresh', potable water is fundamentally economic.
    That's why some of the better-off Middle Eastern countries can, and do, run big desalinization plants.

7w3b6ehxhl4m.png

The whole issue with water lies in its nigh-on unique properties. Besides being an outstanding solvent (the only thing better, I tell my students is mom-spit, which contain salts, lubricating mucins and enzymes in water, and has been used for aeons to spot clean babies). Water molecules are dipoles, and as such readily form hydrogen-bonded networks. This gives water an anomalously high freezing point and boiling point compared to molecules that are otherwise relatively similar (e.g., H2S).

The disruption of hydrogen bonds in solid water (so-called 'enthalpy of fusion') is why a comparatively huge input of energy is required to melt ice. This is why ice cubes chill drinks efficiently.

A similar effect causes liquid water to a high enthalpy of vaporization, too, when it is boiled or evaporated. This is why one can boil water on a stove (even over open flame) in a paper cup. The heat from the flame is 'soaked up' by the water, protecting the paper, until the water's gone -- and it takes a lot of heat (energy) to boil a given volume of water.

Water also has the profoundly remarkable property (due to the hydrogen bonding) of being denser as a liquid than as a solid. At atmospheric pressure, water is densest at 4 degrees C (at which condition it is still liquid). Cooling it further causes expansion as the hydrogen bonds resist compression. Bottom line: liquid water at ca. 39 degrees F (4 degrees C) is denser than ice at 0 degrees C. This is why ice floats. This is also why deep bodies of water do not freeze solid, even in extremely cold weather. The thermodynamics just aren't favorable. Early life could have never evolved and flourished if the 'primordial' soup froze solid every winter!

Life on earth quite literally could not exist if it weren't for water's unique physicochemical properties.

I've actually both taught a Bible study and given a sermon on water.
    (and I'll leave it at that)

B)

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Have the Illeagls that have paid health care from the taxpayers whose property is burning or has burned, put in underground power lines and keep them maintained with the money saved from not paying them to do it. Better yet quit paying for the Illegals health care send em packing and put in Underground powerlines and maintain them.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    edited November 2019
    Options
    ^^^^
    For the tl;dr crowd

Aqua Vitae.

Which, as all good Scots & audio reprobates know, is the (gaelic) root of the word "Whisky"

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Just paged through this thread after a few days, not wanting to get in the fray, but my thoughts and prayers are still going out for those brothers and sisters in CA that are threatened by the wildfires.

I still remember back when I was stationed at Vandenberg AFB, the wildfires got to within 50 yards of my home at the time! Scary stuff for sure!

Keep safe, stay strong, we're all hoping and praying for ya!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• polrbehr
    Options

What if you're out of fresh water now but the rains won't come for a couple of months? What then?

That's easy. You move to Seattle.

• polrbehr
    edited November 2019
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »

How do we know that the article is accurate, after all it is from Fox News. They surely don't have an agenda. >:)

Fixed that without adding a single word. o:)

Look, I'm not trying to make light of a serious situation there, and I do hope they get these fires contained soon. I also hope that whatever steps are necessary are taken to minimize the threats of these fires. NOW.

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options

How do we know that the article is accurate, after all it is from Fox News. They surely don't have an agenda. >:)

Because with a simple search you can see CNN reporting the same?
    And we all know how CNN NEVER slants the news.
    All news is biased. If you want accuracy, watch BCC.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Everything is good in San Diego, few small fires, nothing to make the news.

Maybe CA should pass a new law requiring all vegetation be cleared 100' from a power line. They do like passing laws. Cutting down trees or harming a leaf will bring on lawsuits.

A few pages back I gave the tinfoil hat theory that the state wants to take over the power companies. Gee yesterday Gavin said if the PG&E can't get it together the state is making plans on how to run it... oh no DMV electricity.

Climate Change is a hoax and not. My uncle worked for NOA over 20 years as a climatologist. Anybody ask he gives a simple answer "the climate has always changed and it always will". Then he will go on a pollution rant.

Fresh water, oh boy! CA only has proper water storage for something like 25 million people. It's real hard to build anything here due to the enviro nuts. The desalination plant in Carlsbad went through over 10 years of lawsuits before it was built. The enviro nuts worry about the rising sea but then don't want to remove water to drink from it.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Watermelons
    Limestone
    Ice floats
    There is a God
  • daddyjt
    Options

As previously stated, I verified the story from multiple sources (as I do with most stories). I check Fox often because they are far, far better at reporting ALL relevant news stories - CNN and MSNBC refuse to report on stories that contradict their narrative (until they become so big that they can no longer ignore them - the Katie Hill story is a perfect example, as Fox was reporting it 3 days before CNN picked it up).

As an aside, what do you consider a superior news site?
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »

So if both CNN and Fox News are reporting the same thing, then which is the Fake News? Perhaps they're both fake.

They are both telling a story from their veiwpoint.
    Figuring out the truth is the hard part.
    With the death of most newspapers, we are
    Left with infotainment. Real journalism died
    Years ago.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • daddyjt
    Options

So if both CNN and Fox News are reporting the same thing, then which is the Fake News? Perhaps they're both fake.

They are both telling a story from their veiwpoint.
    Figuring out the truth is the hard part.
    With the death of most newspapers, we are
    Left with infotainment. Real journalism died
    Years ago.

Truth.

I don’t have the patience to watch any cable news station. I usually read Fox, CNN, and BBC. The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    There is no real jounalism on msm, there hasn't been for a couple of decades at least. When was it when Kronkite reported that "this war is lost"? Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    edited November 2019
    Options

Nothing like your agenda.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk