MY IMPRESSION OF THE 707/2CH

Options
707's...Pretty darn good in 2ch Mode

I've been dragging my heels on getting my set up fully dialed in. I still need to drag my acoustic foam out and adorn the walls behind the center and two mains.

After jamming out on my A9's for close to 10 years after upgrading from Monitor 70's (remember those and the new egg deals?), These 707's which I thought would never grace my set up, became obtainable through one of those psycho crazy deals from Adorama.

While owning two pairs of 703's and knowing that the top section of the 707 is a 703, it was very tough to justify a 707 purchase. Well I'm here to tell you right now, the 707 and the 703 does not present the same soundstage!!!

And though I would not have paid full boat for a pair (707's), I was prepared to pay a couple hundred more for the pair than what I ended up with, and, there would have been no remorse, I would have gladly paid the extra (300) and been darn grateful! But just as I was about to pull the trigger, the deal, IMO that surpassed all deals fell right into my lap.....like my grandpa used to say, "even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then".

So what then, makes the 707 so much better?? Mind you, I spent years grooming my A9's to do what the majority in the Polk world claimed with authority could not be....."the A9's are superb home theater speakers but not good for 2ch"...."the A9's rule for H.T. but are just too bright to be decent 2ch speakers".....and so on and so forth.

FWIW, I experimented long ago with amplification, using greatest hits from Chicago and specifically, blaring horn sections. Results: A9's run directly from Onkyo AVR 2ch rated 135wpc...eardrum piercing brightness. A9's run from Emotiva XPA-3 rated 200wpc....eardrum annoying brightness. A9's run from Emotiva XPA-2 rated 300wpc...bingo, no more brightness, feed them more headroom, tame the brightness.

Fast forward to, proper placement, room treatments, all shielded and quality cables at every point in the signal path from the source to the amp, 450wpc and by golly, a pair of A9's that became very impressive 2ch speakers, so much that my wife (ex) decidedly chose them over the 703's in an A/B comparison, and this girl has a great ear, never did notice when I made a physical change, but always knew when I would make an audible change. Without me mentioning it, she would call me out every time, asking me, "it sounds different, what did you do?"

Friends would come over and after a 2ch demo, would always respond the same way every time...."wow, that sounds awesome"

So why the big build up??? To make a point about the effort and achievement on yielding a result that majority dismissed as unobtainable and what's about to follow.

The 707's arrive, get unboxed and replace the A9's which have replaced the 703's and are now pulling Rear Surround duty. The 707's are connected and play 2ch and movies for a few days.

Next is MultEQ XT32 set up. With the 707's toed in so the axis crosses a foot and a half behind the main listening position and begin with some CD's, source is the Emotiva ERC3 connected via balanced XLR's to Marantz 8802, connected to Emotiva Reference XPA-DR3 via balanced XLR's.

Without room treatments, the 707's opened up the soundstage wider and deeper than what the A9's had produced. And though the A9's did a great job of imaging and detail, the 707's do a better job of separation of instruments.

This is all pretty much from initial impression, I see great things coming from these 707's, very happy with my decision to make a blind buy and Highly recommended, not just for home theater speakers, but I would recommend the 707's to operate exclusively for a 2ch effort.
m7kryhaevv6w.jpg
09ttt389956j.jpg
h06h1z2l9d9x.jpg
m1w6t3g6mbvp.jpg
0hjj9atqvdht.jpg
47me470srj2g.jpg
Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman

Comments

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Awesome. Having the DR3 and A9s I agree with your assessment of them together. If you spend the time you can get the A9s sounding amazing.
    I have seen my setup and @Inspector 24 setup go way beyond what most people think the A9 are capable of. His system had a few years on mine and he had it down. Sounds great.
    That being said the 707s will be much better. I am happy that he is picking up a set. I will be enjoying his setup for sure, and probably wishing I had bought a set.
    Enjoy!
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Thanks for the review, Geoff.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    bump
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    bump
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,150
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Thanks for the review, Geoff.
    tonyb wrote: »
    bump

My pleasure....and if I had the room and at these crazy low prices, I may have even sprung for a set of 707 wides………..remember this set up from 2011 with four A9's??

rozd8qbanekn.jpg
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • tonyb
    Options
    Crazy sheet right there my man.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    bump
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    How big is your room? Have you noticed any bass bloat that some speak of regarding these in some small to medium sized spaces? Good to hear that you are liking them.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    looks good to me.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,150
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    How big is your room? Have you noticed any bass bloat that some speak of regarding these in some small to medium sized spaces? Good to hear that you are liking them.

My space is 15' x 26ish'. I did notice some bloat right at first but they have smoothed out.

I do notice heavier LFE in the back of the room about 3' behind the Rear surrounds.

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    ^^OK, that's interesting to hear. I was thinking long and hard about them as the 707's are the one's I always wanted. We'll see if the 705's go on sale again as my room is only about 13' x 18' and opens to a kitchen and hallway. I get pretty good low end reinforcement.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2