I2S (hdmi) connection

just tried this connection tonight between my jay's audio transport and L.K.S. dac and the sound is detailed with a large sound stage and spot on tonality. the notes are airy and come from a pitch black background.
i had been switching between coaxial and bnc to see which sounds best. if you have I2S connections give them a try. i'm just using some generic hdmi cables but will try some wireworld hdmi.
Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables

Comments

• kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,296
    That's what I use with the PSA DSD. I'm using the WW Platinum Starlight and I agree, it's big, detailed and deep. Wish everything had this connection.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
  • GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 2,001
    I wanted so bad to use the I2S connection between my transport and dac. I was looking to upgraded my cable, but was told they are not compatible.
    Unfortunately, there isn’t an I2S standard

Here’s what Brad (at Revelation Audio Labs) relayed to me

"It is not possible since the North Star generates single-ended I2S and the PS Audio needs Differential I2S. Not compatible."

btw Nice score on the LKS . . . What have you compared it to so far?
    Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Salk SuperCharged Surrounds
    Source PSA PWT into NSD Supremo
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Center Salk HT2C
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Wires WW & MIT
  • JayCeeJayCee Posts: 488
    edited September 8
    I have an Oppo BDP-105 but haven't attempted to use the I2S on my PS Audio Directstream DAC. As stated above...there is no standardized format for I2S. Anyone interested, there is a very long thread (among others) on the PSA site re. this subject and there are devices being successfully employed to do conversions from one manufacturer to another.

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/getting-oppo-dsd-output-to-the-direct-stream-dac/2744/338
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, Perfectwave DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: Core Power Technologies EQUI=CORE 1800 Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends FLAC Streamer: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
    That's one of the reason I'm looking to have a complete PS system.
    Main System:
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000

Secondary Rig:
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Marantz SA-14S1
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,107
    Does anyone know if the HDMI audio out from the UPD 205 works with the PSA Perfectwave?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    Just thinking that Doug might be someone to reach out to on this. I know my April Audio dac has an I2s output, but, it uses a totally different type of cable than an HDMI. There may be a chance that a special cable can be built to fit a particular piece if the pinout is known.
    Main System:
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000

Secondary Rig:
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Marantz SA-14S1
  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 6,551
    edited September 8
    I2S uses an HDMI 2.0... I have an Oppo 203 with I2S interface upgrade board into my PSA Pre/Dac. I don't think the Oppo HDMI audio is I2S.

The way to test it John would be to see if you can play SACD from the Oppo to the DAC... If you don't hear anything than the answer is no. :D

http://www.oppomod.com/

But don't be spoofed by a hybrid playing the cd layer.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7704 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo UDP 203 | Sony PS4 Pro| Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's | Usher BE-616 Center | SVS Ultra Surrounds | SVS SB4000 Sub | SVS SB2000 Sub | Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life | Samsung 50" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office |Cocktail Audio X14 | KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 | Bluesound Node |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 |
    I2S uses an HDMI 2.0... I have an Oppo 203 with I2S interface upgrade board into my PSA Pre/Dac. I don't think the Oppo HDMI audio is I2S.

The way to test it John would be to see if you can play SACD from the Oppo to the DAC... If you don't hear anything than the answer is no. :D

http://www.oppomod.com/

But don't be spoofed by a hybrid playing the cd layer.

I'm not sure that's a blanket statement. I have other pieces that have I2S and the cable is completely different than HDMI. Not the same number of conductors, and, dimensionally built differently.
    Main System:
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000

Secondary Rig:
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Marantz SA-14S1
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,595
    my l.k.s. dac has i2s-h and i2s-e connections, they are different connections.
    I am using the i2s-h (hdmi) connection.
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 6,551
    My PSAudio device uses the HDMI std and the oppomod card has jumper options for PSA and another I forget manufacturer... Both will use the HDMI cable.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7704 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo UDP 203 | Sony PS4 Pro| Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's | Usher BE-616 Center | SVS Ultra Surrounds | SVS SB4000 Sub | SVS SB2000 Sub | Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life | Samsung 50" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office |Cocktail Audio X14 | KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 | Bluesound Node |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 |