L800 SDA Pro in depth w/ Stu Lumsden

heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,053
edited September 2019 in The Clubhouse
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited September 2019
    DSkip wrote: »
    All this SDA talk makes the place feel like it did years ago.

I wasn't here years ago, but I am feeling it today! I can imagine, back in the day, and then, after the SDA line was discontinued, aw man!

But, they're back! Woo hoo! :)

Hope you become a Legend dealer Skip!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Already posted Brock.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    I'm very happy they are not amplified or have electronics in them as I would never consider owning them
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • News of these got me interested in Polk Audio again!
  • verb
    Deltadon wrote: »
    News of these got me interested in Polk Audio again!

Welcome @Deltadon yes very exciting. More to come as folks here (including me) are eager to get their ears on em! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Thanks. Love to know how they sound in comparison to the LSiM series and of course the original SDA speakers. I had an old pair of SDA compact bookshelf speakers years ago.
  • verb
    Thanks. Love to know how they sound in comparison to the LSiM series and of course the original SDA speakers. I had an old pair of SDA compact bookshelf speakers years ago.

Awesome! Love the CRS's for sure! I just picked up a minty pair not too long ago for crazy cheap! Most likely destined for the garage rig at some point!
  • Curious to know what cables are being used for the demos and if there is any difference in the sound.
  • verb
    Curious to know what cables are being used for the demos and if there is any difference in the sound.

Deltadon post #3 and your on the brink of a rabbit hole! Yes! I was a cable non-believer, but I have witnessed on my own rig substantial improvements with good quality cables! Lot's of choices, both speaker cables and IC's, for your journey.

Not sure of what they ran at RMAF, but lot's of information (and debate) on cables here! Have fun! :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Polk has used Audioquest, but I'm not sure what they used at RMAF. Of course cables will make a difference in the sound. They are after all a component.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb wrote: »
    Curious to know what cables are being used for the demos and if there is any difference in the sound.

Deltadon post #3 and your on the brink of a rabbit hole! Yes! I was a cable non-believer, but I have witnessed on my own rig substantial improvements with good quality cables! Lot's of choices, both speaker cables and IC's, for your journey.

Not sure of what they ran at RMAF, but lot's of information (and debate) on cables here! Have fun! :)

Just curious because I would think that they did plenty of research to optimize the design. It may also depend on the amplifiers being used as well. The computerized tools that engineers have at their disposal nowadays is amazing. Have the technical specs for the L800s been published?
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I’ve watches this video several times and it’s such a good job on so many levels. Kudos to Stu and everyone at Polk!
  • Deltadon
    Deltadon Posts: 94
    edited September 2019
    There doesn't appear to be a cable between the Legend SDA speakers right? How is the SDA sound achieved, or is that a secret only Polk Audio, their parent company and the Chinese government knows? Do these speakers have any new pending patents?
  • verb
    There doesn't appear to be a cable between the Legend SDA speakers right? How is the SDA sound achieved, or is that a secret only Polk Audio, their parent company and the Chinese government knows?

There is a cable! SDA IC cable! Only on the L800's.

Back side interface:
    p2fqpdkh9yqp.png
    Cable:
    g9ifyli9kdgm.png
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    There doesn't appear to be a cable between the Legend SDA speakers right? How is the SDA sound achieved, or is that a secret only Polk Audio, their parent company and the Chinese government knows? Do these speakers have any new pending patents?

They do have a interconnect cable.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Deltadon
    edited September 2019
    verb wrote: »
    There doesn't appear to be a cable between the Legend SDA speakers right? How is the SDA sound achieved, or is that a secret only Polk Audio, their parent company and the Chinese government knows?

There is a cable! SDA IC cable! Only on the L800's.

Back side interface:
    p2fqpdkh9yqp.png
    Cable:
    g9ifyli9kdgm.png
    vmaxer wrote: »

They do have a interconnect cable.

Thanks for correcting me, I also missed it at 10:51 in the Stu Lumsden video. So there is an optimal spacing based on the cable length, which is?
    Interesting note about new patent claims at 10.57.
    Post edited by Deltadon on
  • Deltadon
    edited September 2019
    Duplicate post, please delete.

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Good question. The cable is 12 feet long I think....
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I hope they make a 20 footer at some point...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    Spacing is really dependent on your listening position, IIRC. Ideally, you should space them such that it forms an equilateral triangle between yourself and the speakers.

My SRS's are about 10ft apart.
  • nooshinjohn
    Looking at the way the rear of the speaker looks, the 12’ cable only allows for a spacing of about 8 feet between them. My TL’s are 9 feet at centerline, but need 18 feet to go through my cabinet from one side to the other.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Deltadon
    edited September 2019
    Can the cables be connected in series to increase separation?
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2019
    That cable looks as if two can be connected in series to increase length. It has a male and female on both ends. That will be answered soon.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    I imagine they would sell longer after market cables
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    20 feet? Are you guys listening in a warehouse?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nooshinjohn
    The extra length helps with cable routing. Some people don't want to have the cable strung out like a clothesline between the speakers.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    Now, call me a heretic, but maybe the cable length was set to 12 feet for a reason(?).

:)
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The product page indicates other lengths of the SDA cable will be sold but the speakers come with a 12 foot cable in the box. My guess is a dealer of the Legend line will accommodate the setup for the purchaser so they're happy with the product. I always thought the 20 footer was way too big and resulted in having to find a way to avoid coiling the extra length.
  • nooshinjohn

• nooshinjohn
    edited September 2019
    From the patent application...
    wrote:

The angled first and second arrays are then are then fed signals from a new crossover which is optionally configurable using switches or jumpers such that either (e.g., left baffle or right baffle) array can be selected by the user or installer as being (a) the main array or (b) SDA/effects array by rerouting signals through a switch or jumper block.

Does this mean that we get to determine which driver performs the SDA function?