A "Kind and Generous" Karma -- Technics SA-5170

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    SIHAB wrote: »
    Great Karma.
    I would LOVE to own a item from the legendary town dump.
    Not in though.

This is from Grantham, NH, not Harvard, MA. The latter is the legendary one -- although the former ain't bad either :)

• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Not in, but this is a VERY cool karma.

This was my first love receiver. Bought it at Dixie HiFi in Charlotte '76ish when in high school along with Pioneer HPM-40's, PL-516, and an Empire cartridge, hehe. That rig survived several years of college abuse and was much loved until 1995 when it was stolen by a carpenter's helper (whose name I curse to this day).

Well done mh.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • mhardy6647
    hmm -- well -- I hope there are no carpenters in this one's past ;)
    We could bundle it with some Carpenters, though... :#

u8w9wz1ep7pa.png
  • seeclear
    seeclear Posts: 1,236
    In with 69. Very cool karma!
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    This takes me back to my HS days when I had my Dad's old Technics hooked up in my room, but sadly I don't have room for a piece like this right now.. so Great Karma, but not in.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • mhardy6647
    it's not all that big... ;)

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    That's what she said...

Beautiful piece, not in.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Great Karma!

Not in because you-all know why. ;)
    If I won...where would I put it and how often would it get played. I just got that Pioneer CS949 quad receiver and haven't played it like I've wanted too.

I like technics stuff. Had their flagship speakers for a year or so. The ones ( SB7070's I think ) before they made some worth thousands I believe. I've had some receivers like yours and they sounded great to me. Yup, this is them. That receiver would've matched up with these nicely. B)
    kp03e65r0rce.png

Good luck to somebody.
    Doc...your receiver looks GREAT! <3
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    @Rick88 -- this "demo" is for you :)

https://youtu.be/G-uLl7E_khw

(well, me too, I love this song)

• mhardy6647
    Rick88 wrote: »
    What speakers are those Doc?

https://www.elac.com/product/b6-2/
    0u9br3vicgdc.png

Not the ideal loudspeakers for the little Technics -- but the closest modern thing I've got handy :)

32893008338_fd621d10dc_b.jpgDSC_3815 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I fiddled a bit with camera (mic) placement but still get an echo; dunno why.
    As I think (?!) I mentioned previously, my old-ish, cheap-ish DSLR does not support an external mic :/

My son's response: maybe time to get a new DSLR body.

He's a good boy...

B)

I also do need to get a proper pair of modern (i.e., tall enough) stands for these speakers, too. :/
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    The red wires looked like they were also hooked up and floating to the ELACs. Nice looking room setup.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Wunderbar!! Not in, but some kinda nice!
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    CH46E wrote: »
    The red wires looked like they were also hooked up and floating to the ELACs. Nice looking room setup.

The red wires (which are, shall we say, proprietary in nature :) ) are connected from the ACA to the big boy person loudspeakers at the moment. :) They're usually connected to the 2A3 amp, but I was using the ACA during the hot weather (not that it runs much cooler than a stereo 2A3 amp, of course).

They've got be-nanner plugs on both ends and the Technics - not to put too fine a point on it - cannot handle be-nanners. Well... not without clip leads.

That said, I would add a set of clip leads if it'll enhance participation! Two red, two black -- or winner's choice! B)
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    edited September 2019
    Thank you @mhardy6647... just added Ms. Marchant to my Apple Music downloads!

Love the look of the Technics, but no time these days to do it justice 😞

P.S. it’s a bit like @verb ’s automobiles... I’d rather watch him drive them than me 😂
    Alea jacta est!
  • mhardy6647
    Just a coupla days to go!

I know we got distracted by some Legends or something...
    but this little Technics is still lookin' forward to darkening someone else's doorstep soon! ;)

In fact, I've been listening to the ELAC/Technics combo quite a bit for the past week or so; it's pretty satisfying sounding overall (although the ELACs are not part of the Karma; sorry, gang. :* ).

OK, here's the list so far.

If anyone else's interested... reply with your lucky number by Thursday evening (Eastern time)!

ken brydson 60
    Conradicles 42
    la2vegas 71
    tonyp063 21
    vmaxer 40
    codycatalist 17
    CH46E 81
    seeclear 69

Am I missing anyone (or did I screw anyone's entry up)?

I will use Excel's random number generator to (pseudo) randomly pick the big wiener winner on Thursday evening (Sept. 12th, not later than 9pm EDT).

There's still time to get in on the fun,fun, fun! This would be a terrible terrific choice to pair with a new pair of L800s when you get 'em. OK, not even close, but it's a nice, and very cute, little receiver for medium sensitivity loudspeakers. Relive the best parts of the 1970s -- without the polyester or the platform shoes!

:)

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    I'll take all the numbers not picked! Lol. pretty cool karma man!
  • mhardy6647
    CH46E wrote: »
    I'll take all the numbers not picked! Lol. pretty cool karma man!
    Does this look like Chicago to you?

;)

• mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    1w30c8jn7x3b.png
    Oh boy, this is gonna be great!

TODAY'S THE DAY!

(i.e., heh... I managed to remember... at least so far!)

Anyone else interested in signing up for this karma?
    If so, now's a good time; gonna draw the luckily random winner this evening!
    I will 'announce' the closing of the polls (so to speak) before I do.

Meanwhile, I am listening to the BBC news via VT public radio on the SA-5170 even as I type this.

B)

(not a "live stream" image, just a previously shared photo of it!)

3d8b4zpznz2h.jpg
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Arrgghh, okay okay, can't help myself.

In with 30.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • mhardy6647
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Arrgghh, okay okay, can't help myself.

In with 30.

heh, heh, heh... my work is done here.

B)

In seriousness -- thanks!
  • mhardy6647
    OK, the contestants so far...

ID number
    ken brydson 60
    Conradicles 42
    la2vegas 71
    tonyp063 21
    vmaxer 40
    codycatalist 17
    CH46E 81
    seeclear 69
    vcwatkins 30

anybody else?

• deronb1
    Ok, in with 36, please and thank you!
  • rebelsoul wrote: »

Only 184 posts shy...
  • mhardy6647
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Ok, in with 36, please and thank you!

Thanks, the more the merrier, right?! :)
    rebelsoul wrote: »
    rebelsoul wrote: »

Only 184 posts shy...

Sorry -- It is as @ken brydson says (thank you sir!).
    did you read the first post to the thread @rebelsoul ?

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/187623/a-kind-and-generous-karma-technics-sa-5170/p1
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

This Karma's open to members with at least 200 posts and located in the US "Lower 48".
    Pick a number between 1 and 100 and say you're "in".
    I'm going to run this for two full weeks, hoping that it generates some interest :)
    I will randomly select the lucky (?!) winner on Thursday, September 12th , not later than 9pm EDT.

There is one catch to this Karma -- because shipping has become expensive in recent years :( I reserve the right to ask the lucky winner to chip in up to 25 dollars to help defray shipping costs. I am in for the first twenty-five dollars of the actual shipping cost, and any costs over fifty dollars in total. But from $25.01 to $50.00 of actual shipping cost, there's gonna be some cost sharing involved :p

Photos will follow immediately after this post.

Thanks again to all of you and to the Polk folks for hosting this terrific forum!

The poor sucka* I mean lucky winner will be announced at 9pm EDT :)
    I'm excited!

• deronb1
    Thanks, the more the merrier, right?! :)

Indeedy! :smiley:
  • mhardy6647
    moments away -- bootin' up Excel momentarily...

:p

• mhardy6647
    and.... drumroll...

the lucky winner (pseudorandomly chosen, using Excel's Mersenne Twister algorithm :p ) is...

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Drumrolls........
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills