Pissed at CVS

I have a prescription for 50 glucose test strips that CVS sells for $73, with insurance $21 and change co-payment.
I was at Walmart tonight and they had over the counter 70 count for $26 and change. on their website they show 50 count $22 and change. so why is CVS allowed to screw both me and the insurance co.?
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Ask your insurance company.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    They had to make up for the lost revenue from tobacco sales.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    I plan to in the morning.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    Healthcare billing is the worst. The extra money charged to insurance is probably justified as the “retail” price, which covers all the people, software and regulations involved with insurance expenses. Then CVS has their discount “street” price, which is pretty much the same as the co-pay for OTC products.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited August 2019
    Just like Walgreens they are able to charge that amount with the insurance companies blessings. Walgreens once told me that exact thing when i asked. They and CVS will ALWAYS charge the maximum they are allowed to by law. (Even though they buy in massive bulk and receive huge discount) The Walgreen's employee stated that they deserve to make a profit as well. I LMAO and at that point refused to ever do business with them again. My mother spends 2600.00 a month at Walgreens. Some of her prescription's are 800.00 each with no generic equivalent. 1200.00 of that is out of her pocket. Just think the insurance industry is trying like heck to tilt it even more in their favor.
    She has a host of problems COPD, Heart failure, stage 3 kidney failure and both rheumatoid and osteoarthritis. It honestly pains me that i cannot do more than I am able to help her be more comfortable.

It just freakin crazy.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Both chains will be closing more stores in the near future. https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/pharmacy/walgreens-to-close-200-us-stores.html
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • pitdogg2
    edited August 2019
    well our town had only two Walgreens for decades we now have 5. We now also have 5 CVS as well. We never had any until they bought out Osco's which we still have those inside Jewel grocery stores. Both companies WG and CVS exploded all over in the last 15 yrs. it's only natural to contract a little now. You add to it that every grocery store now has a pharmacy wal-marts, Target's and whatever else because their is profit to be made selling drugs plain and simple.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    When it comes to scripts and med supplies, if you want bottom dollar, you have to shop each convenient location nearest you.

That sometimes means go to each store and pick up your stuff. Script/med supplies have worked out deals with the insurance companies etc.

If you want all-in-one then you will not get bottom dollar on each of your needs.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • CVS bought Aetna for 69B just s short time ago. So yeah, must be good money in scripts.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I thought this thread was going to be about subwoofers. :o

ys9fnt6vpmou.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    ... and I thought it was gonna be about either constant velocity joints or curriculum vitae.

B)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Actually the lesson here is an old one. When someone else is paying, the costs to you goes up. Think college tuition, being heavily subsidized increases tuition costs. Think the Pentagon, remember them buying hammers for 250 bucks ? When you could walk across the street to any hardware store and pay 20 bucks. Car repairs...cost a fortune when insurance companies are paying. Same with medical procedures/tests. Pay cash and the price comes way way down.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited August 2019
    tonyb wrote: »
    Pay cash and the price comes way way down.

Agree. To a point.
    After getting the news that (my first) colonoscopy would be in the $22-$2400 range, I went shopping. After getting various quotes, I found a well reviewed medical office right around the corner . . . for 6 bones cash.

My dentist, on the other hand, sez the price is the price is the price.
    Today, I’ll be ponying up $1600 for a crown.
    I suppose I need to go dentist shopping!

Edit
    In all fairness, IMHO, my dentist is very good ... and that’s why I’ve stayed
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    What’s ironic is Marvin just retired from as a medical supplier
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I remember when a name brand prescription nasal spray went from prescription to over the counter and the cost went from an insurance co-pay of $45 to an over the counter cost for the exact same thing (not a generic replacement) of $22. Previously, the pharmacy listed the insurance cost as $240. Healthcare is weird business.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Just about anything that is available OTC is cheaper than the prescription version.... always check your prices on anything available OTC.

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • marvda1
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

and I know the waste, hospitals buying the same box amounts every day instead of getting the cheaper by the case price.
    Puritan PSM156
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2019
    When I had my heart attack in June the bill for 7 days in the CCU was $136,562.00. Insurance with discount paid $83, 230.00, I think the operating room was included in this. Still that is just shy of $12,000.00 a day!
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • pitdogg2
    marvda1 wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

and I know the waste, hospitals buying the same box amounts every day instead of getting the cheaper by the case price.

That's because they can bill you 15.00 for a Tylenol pill.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    Paying cash at a hospital is crazy. I had a surgery a couple years back, went under but didn't stay over night. I don't remember the final bill, but it was well over $10k+.
    I said I'd use my HSA account to pay the annual max out of pocket and have insurance pay the difference. Turns out I didn't even hit my annual max, which confused me, so I got copies of the bills. Turns out they applied an "HSA insurance discount" to nearly everything, at about a 92% discount average. It was less than $2.5k billed out, and insurance didn't write a single check.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    GlennDog wrote: »

Agree. To a point.
    After getting the news that (my first) colonoscopy would be in the $22-$2400 range, I went shopping. After getting various quotes, I found a well reviewed medical office right around the corner . . . for 6 bones cash.

Edit

Ouch isn't a colonoscopy considered preventive maintenance and your insurance's responsibility? How did you like putting down that nasty tasting prep the night before?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • marvda1
    yea, they tell you it's ok to drink water but don't tell you it runs straight through :s
    Puritan PSM156
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    When I had my heart attack in June the bill for 7 days in the CCU was $136,562.00. Insurance with discount paid $83, 230.00, I think the operating room was included in this. Still that is just shy of $12,000.00 a day!

Whoa buddy I did not know you had a 'bout back in June! Hope you're doing ok!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

Agree. To a point.

Edit

Gosh there's gotta be a joke in there somewhere! A colonoscopist and a dentist are sitting in a bar ... @Viking64 Jimmy help me out! :)

But in all seriousness, I paid about 12 hundie for a crown recently. Back tooth, went for the gold plated variety.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • tonyb
    Paying cash at a hospital is crazy. I had a surgery a couple years back, went under but didn't stay over night. I don't remember the final bill, but it was well over $10k+.
    I said I'd use my HSA account to pay the annual max out of pocket and have insurance pay the difference. Turns out I didn't even hit my annual max, which confused me, so I got copies of the bills. Turns out they applied an "HSA insurance discount" to nearly everything, at about a 92% discount average. It was less than $2.5k billed out, and insurance didn't write a single check.

You don't pay cash at a hospital, you pay cash for all the other services like tests that can be done at other facilities.

Oh, and that difference between what the hospital bills you for, and what the insurance company pays.....guess who gets to write that off as a loss ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057

Agree. To a point.

Edit

There is a guy by me who does cheap colonoscopies ... His name is Dr. Hook...

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    There is a guy by me who does cheap colonoscopies ... His name is Dr. Hook...

Apparently your colonoscopy with Dr. Hook went.....well. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_n_NgGWpR4
  • tonyb
    Roto-rooter has cheap rates too. :)

Or...you can go the ultimate cheapo route and put a mini go-pro on a gerbil and have a go at it yourself.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    Clip the gerbils toenails first tho

• tonyb
    Clip the gerbils toenails first tho

That's not what Russ said, the nails are a distraction according to him. :D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-