PS Audio-Dropping Dealers for Direct Sales

Options
JayCee
JayCee Posts: 1,480
edited August 2019 in The Clubhouse
Days of discounted PS Audio gear are numbered. Much spirited discussion on pros/cons of discounts industry-wide in the past few months on CP re. discounted Polk offerings...so this is relevant to modern business models. Will be interesting to see how PS Audio fares as I see them similar to Polk in performance vs. cost relative to their intended markets. Truthfully, not sure if I'd have PS Audio gear if I'd had to pay full retail. Would've forced me to consider much more expensive offerings.

Not trying to stir the debate, as it was covered in a previous PSA thread, but I understand @DSkip 's perspective....likewise, folks that can't or won't pay full retail. Much of his frustration as a dealer is being presented by customers at the PSA forum.

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/is-psaudio-going-direct-sale-only/12247/

Excerpts from the PSA forum from the horses mouth:

"Paul CEO PS Audio

It is true that over the next 4 months we will be moving to a direct-only model in the United States.

The world is changing in retail, and rather dramatically. While there are still some excellent dealers offering more than just an ability to order products—like advice, technical support, setup, etc.—an increasing number of sales in the United States are handled by online or catalog merchants (the Amazon Effect). While this “Home Depot” model of price-first and service and support second works well in some industries, we don’t think it serves our community as well as they deserve.

Our customers demand better. The only way we can ensure the same high level of advice, help, easy trial at home, and generous trade-in allowance for all our products is by moving to a direct model over the remaining months in 2019. What that means for our customers will be consistently better service, better advice, same-day-shipping, our industry leading trade-in program where we pay full retail for your used equipment, a whole raft of new initiatives and programs we’ve yet to roll out, and some exciting new products making their way into the world soon.

I am excited. Stay tuned."

...Paul's response to a comment on PSA gear on the used market and very relevant to DSkip's perspective:

"That is absolutely correct. Preservation of the products resale value on the used market is a big motivator for us. Our customers regularly complain about the equipment’s used value because of the discounting on new products.

But to your point about having to sell less. I know it’s a good and reasonable and seemingly obvious point, but it’s not true. Here’s the thing. The margins dealers (or we) make at retail have to be spent on all that it takes to get the products in front of people and whatever benefits are offered. In our case we offer a very generous trade-up program, free 2-way shipping, technical support, and increasing sales support and setup advice. In order for this model to work we have to hire staff (and not sales people but HiFi experts), build a new website, fund all the cool new stuff we have planned, trade shows, etc.

In the end it’s a lot more expensive from our side but we believe well worth it to make sure our customers are taken care of the way they deserve and to maintain and uphold the products value in the marketplace.

Anywhoo, not advocating one way or another but anyone looking for PSA discounted gear without having to trade-in pieces they'd rather keep in a second rig....might want to consider the timing of their purchase(s).
Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Comments

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    Options
    Might be a good thing for PSA. I hear good things about their stuff. Only own one of their power conditioners and it performs great. Was not impressed in their players but I'm sure they're great too for some?? Doubt this move will hurt the company. Probably make them a lot more busy!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    They already sell direct at full retail, so this move will in theory put more money in their pockets, but that depends on the volume of sales, which could drop considerably. One thing for sure, IMO is this move is not for the benefit of the end user.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,132
    Options
    Honestly, I'm a little shocked it took this long. But the timing makes sense as they prep to roll out large speakers. Getting those into dealers would be very expensive. Their trade-in programs made it tough for dealers anyway. I had tried to find some dealers around here before, and only found one in town listed, and they only kept the Sprout in house. I hope they do more than the big shows with this move. A "tour" of their gear would be a cool solution, but we'll see.

All in all, this makes little change to my personal access or opinion of the brand. I'm sure that some feel differently, but I'm equally sure that plenty of people feel the same.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited August 2019
    Options
    IMO, value is pretty immutable, at least in the short term.
    If a component is "worth", say, 3000 USD, it's worth 3000 USD -- if one can routinely (or even occasionally, but reliably) get it for, say, 2000 USD, guess what? It's a "2000 dollar" component. The corollary being you'd be crazy to buy it for 3000, unless there were some significant added value being provided by the dealer for the extra grand.

This reminds me of Radio Shack in the 1970s and 80s. Their hifi components were mediocre and markedly to horrifically overpriced. Their speakers, for example, cost about twice what they would objectively be "worth" relative to other, similar and popular offerings.

But, guess what (again?! ;) ) -- every three or four months, R/S would have a half price (more or less) sale on one of their popular speaker models; two for the price of one. Such a deal! :)

The canonical example was the Minimus-7, a mediocre homage to/ripoff of the Visonik David (or ads 200). The catalog price of a single Minimus-7 in its heyday was $49.95 (1978 to 1985, at least)

wurj8c2mi8eb.png

Once or twice a year, they'd be on sale for $49.95 a pair.
    For that money, they were decent loudspeakers. For twice that -- not so much.
    So, are they $49.95 speakers or are they $24.98 speakers?

If the P/S Audio components are worth their "list" prices against their competition, the company and the products will sell well; if not, they may ultimately adopt a model like R/S's (as Polk, Wharfedale, KEF, and ELAC, e.g., have done) or they will adopt a new marketing strategy -- or fail.

Coda: When the original Minimus-7 was closed out (to be replaced by a ported version (Optimus PRO 7) at the same price ($59.95) as the last offering (1993) of the (sealed box) Minimus-7 models. At that point, I bought a pair of Minimus-7s on closeout (R/S "Where Is, As-Is") for 38 bucks. Our daughter & son-in-law still have 'em, and still use 'em.

l8tzknv08zr6.png

____________-

All catalog pages from http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalog_directory.html
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    I had a pair of those a very long time ago. Some years later I found them at my dad's house and hooked them up. They are not good speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    I had the ones with the wall brackets for sure.

I guess it was a matter of time before the Underwood model got slapped in the face. Understanding that the company wants to make more coin, they may be ok with the reduction (guaranteed) in volume because the net profits might make up for it over a period of time. Companies like Parasound who flood the market with every dealer under the sun are on the opposite end of the spectrum, but they seem to be doing very well.
    I like my gear and am glad I got it at a discount. I do not spend all my money on discounted gear, I actually like to spread it around a little. Some to Underwood, some to local dealers, some to MD and AA etc. There is a value to having a single source dealer if you like to set and forget, but for me, I like to tinker and move stuff around. Being able to do that without approval from someone who has built up that trust is a benefit for me.
    I will still purchase from PS A should they offer a product that fits my needs and the price is right, I do like their products a lot.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Now are they going to sell direct through Amazon?
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Selling direct and keeping their products over priced is probably not a successful strategy IMO.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Took a look at their speakers on You Tube..(had no idea they also made speakers?) Look pretty nice. Wonder if the likes of Auralic and Lumin will follow with a speaker line up someday? I mean why not??? 😂
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Thumbs up to ps audio. Smart move.

If everyone else followed their example, you'd be out of business.

Ok, so they're going to bring everything back "in house", to benefit themselves. Isn't that what smart business decisions are suppose to do ?

They still can't control the used markets, so finding their products at discounts won't be a problem.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    While I am a fan of PS Audio, it all comes down to attempting to increase revenues and profits in the end. Anything else the PSA CEO mentioned in the quote above was secondary to increasing profits....because that is any company's main objective. But you all get that....🙂
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    I would notice no difference with this business model shift. The electronic components I have bought from PS Audio, eight of them, came directly from PS Audio with the exception of one I got from Audio Advisor that was drop shipped from PS Audio anyway. All were heavily discounted closeout or demo models in perfect condition. I still use a Power Director 4.7 daily that I got around 18 years ago.

Regarding their direct customer service, I regard it as stellar. I have a phono preamp that would not power up so sent an email to them. Within an hour two techs responded and said it was most likely just a blown fuse and emailed me clear instructions with photos on how to replace it. With an offer to send a new fuse if I wanted or a shipping label to return the unit for repair. I had a fuse and it took literally two minutes to fix it myself.

A local dealer, if they even offer repairs and I could find one who knew what they were talking about, would have taken much longer in my experience. And most of them don’t even keep product in stock because of the overhead.
  • tonyb
    Options
    If you control the sales price you control the used market price. It’s that simple. Corrections occur once a new norm is set. Ps audio had already set themselves up where dealers couldn’t compete with them so this is the smartest thing they could have done.

Eh, yes and no Skip. A piece is only valued on the used markets by what someone is willing to pay for it. If used prices are too high, that piece will sit unsold until the seller lowers the price.

My guess is, PSA wants to be able to call the shots on what models get heavily discounted so they can control inventory, move what is slow selling at retail, while keeping the value of the good sellers. They can't control what a private seller is willing to sell a piece for. Too much competition in the marketplace to have that big of an ego.....no matter how good your products are. When resale of a certain brand remains too high, people will look for other options.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Emlyn
    Options
    One company I am aware of that closely controlled their pricing through a dealer network was Rotel. They would allow a 5 percent discount to be applied for their dealers and cut off any that did not comply. But, their pricing was reasonable to begin with. I don’t think PS Audio has necessarily been reasonable with their retail pricing because they knew everything would be sold at a hefty discount unless a dealer found a sucker.

Come to think of it, I do have a couple receivers around that originally retailed for around $2K. Trade in on those could be a good thing.
  • displayname
    Options
    Took a look at their speakers on You Tube..(had no idea they also made speakers?) Look pretty nice. Wonder if the likes of Auralic and Lumin will follow with a speaker line up someday? I mean why not??? 😂
    The speakers aren't out yet, but they are coming soon. They have publicly discussed three models in the AN (flagship) lineup, and Paul has shown prototypes of a Sprout bookshelf speaker. So maybe a Stellar line of speakers is on the road map as well? It'll be interesting to see how they continue to grow their product lines.
    Discogs
  • Emlyn
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I haven’t really been paying attention to their new speaker line, but it definitely sounds a cut above the usual fare. Speakers as tall as Manute Bol coming eventually...

https://www.psaudio.com/newsletter/march-2019/

They probably would benefit from dealer distribution on the big ones unless they throw in the price of airfare and a hotel room to demo them in Colorado. Sounds like they’ll be quite expensive!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    Whelp I’m gonna keep all my AC-3s I got sitting in boxes for a long time now lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2019
    Options
    "" shet, I sold mine.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tonyb
    Options
    What someone is willing to pay is directly related to what someone is willing to sell for. I single handedly raised the resale market for MastersounD in the US by refusing to sell at certain prices.

When people pay more for a piece, they are less willing to sell it for less.

Regardless, ps audio is now directly in control so they set their own value which will influence the second hand value, good or bad. I imagine the structure won’t change much.

Could be Skip, however, that also steers consumers to look for other cheaper alternatives by visiting other brands. Which, there is no shortage of these days.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    not sure we can use Polk as an example, given what LSIM's are going for now. Polk has much competition in their price class though, and that may be a better determining factor.

Maybe McIntosh is a better example. Back in the day, they used to be "the" high end brand. Even today, used pieces go for big bucks too. That has made some look to other brands, and many others popped up offering bang for the buck. You lose a certain amount of consumers by artificially keeping resale high. It's the proverbial double edged sword.

The name of the game, in my view anyway, is to sell units in volumes that support the company. Here in the states, high end is a niche market, hard to make money in a niche market with so much competition.

PSA knows that, so if volume isn't there, you have to get more per piece. Which to me is what they are doing.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    I must be thick. Who else does this? Sounds like brand loyalty wins the day.

"What that means for our customers will be consistently better service, better advice, same-day-shipping, our industry leading trade-in program where we pay full retail for your used equipment"

What am I missing? I've been dying to try their power products...
    but its down the priority list.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    "" shet, I sold mine.

If you'd rather keep it (if you haven't shipped it yet) it's all good, just let me know @motorhead43026 Someone else is selling me a Shunyata as well so it's really okay.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    ^I think that was meant sarcastically :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2019
    Options
    No Sir shipped yours and Scott's today. I wasn't using them, too good of cords to not be in use.
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    While I am a fan of PS Audio, it all comes down to attempting to increase revenues and profits in the end. Anything else the PSA CEO mentioned in the quote above was secondary to increasing profits....because that is any company's main objective. But you all get that....🙂

You may well be correct about PS Audio, but the wise founder of a very fine company for which I worked for several years -- Cummins Engine Company (now, Cummins, Inc.) -- frequently said:

"Profit is the natural by-product of doing something well."

He would add that nobody pays a company to make a profit; customers pay for a quality product that meets a need (or a "want").
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    What someone is willing to pay is directly related to what someone is willing to sell for. I single handedly raised the resale market for MastersounD in the US by refusing to sell at certain prices.

Regardless, ps audio is now directly in control so they set their own value which will influence the second hand value, good or bad. I imagine the structure won’t change much.
    And PS Audio offering full price trade in value for used gear will pull much of that equipment from the used markets, thus driving up prices for the stuff that is out there.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options

And PS Audio offering full price trade in value for used gear will pull much of that equipment from the used markets, thus driving up prices for the stuff that is out there.

All of which is "up side" for owners of PS Audio products -- higher resale value.
  • tonyb
    Options

If they are going to pay full retail on trade-ins, what does that say for the price of new products ? Going north I bet.

It will only pull from the used markets from those willing to stay with the brand. Another question might be, what does PSA intend to do with all this used gear they take in ? Sell it as refurbs ? At ridiculous prices ? In a market filled with competition ?

I don't see this working out as intended for them. May benefit die hard brand loyal customers, but even they are going to pay one way or another.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,480
    edited August 2019
    Options

Used gear doesn't get thrown in a trash compacter...LOL. This is where PSA sells used gear:

The Music Room https://tmraudio.com/ and it's in Eire, CO...an hour from PSA. From TMR's site: "The Music Room is now the largest online retailer of pre-owned HiFi equipment in the world."

I'd be willing to bet they use other channels to sell of the less desirable pieces.

Have you looked at the details of that trade? IIRC, it is limited to 30% of the value of the product. When Underwood was a dealer, I think you could get it direct from them for cheaper without trading in gear than you could even after the discount applied from PS Audio. The idea behind their trade-in program is to provide discounts but also be able to recuperate that discount via the gear traded in. That gear goes right back into the market so I'm not sure how its being 'pulled' from anything.

For instance, if you have a $1,000 preamp and are buying a $1,000 amp from PS Audio, they will only really give you $300 value towards the preamp. If you buy a $3,000 amp, you'll get $900 of that $1,000 original value. In the first scenario they'll probably make a greater profit in the end than if they sold it direct and in the latter, they'll probably only be providing about a 10-15% discount in the end.

I do trade-ins as well and always try to offer a fair current-market price for the trade. I also don't cap it like PS Audio does, but I have had to turn down possible trades before because they just didn't make sense even though all values were fair. Such is business. The way PS Audio structures theirs, they don't have to turn down offers because they're going to get theirs either way. It doesn't bother me - its just two different ways to skin a cat.

Skip's right...from my research and deduction PSA gets their discount back. Since PSA is the only source, they'll have the distinct advantage to play cost vs. profit. One of the reasons I went w/Underwood was I didn't have to pilfer my gear to get a sizeable chunk off my BHK gear. My first PSA purchase was the Direct Stream DAC and was through Musicdirect. I balked at the used price they wanted and MD knocked $500 off without blinking. It was a "demo" piece. IE, returned by a previous customer and I had to have it de-registered through PSA.

Don't quote me on this, haven't verified myself, but what I'm currently reading on the PSA thread says they've increased their trade-in allowances. There's also lots of anecdotal posts that PSA's also discounted further based on one-on-one dealings with customers. My takeaway is, their going to wheel and deal if needed and it will be part of their business model. Kind of like the auto industry does. All this said....I could be wrong. Just one man's opinion.

Also, Paul (PSA CEO), publicly stated there would not be any increase in current product price.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • displayname
    Options
    JayCee wrote: »
    Also, Paul (PSA CEO), publicly stated there would not be any increase in current product price.
    It'll be interesting to see how their business model continues to evolve. Because Paul has previously stated publicly that they set prices as "cost × 5" I can't imagine he'd stray too far from that.
    What's more interesting to me is their other future lines of business. Speakers are coming, but so is a studio, a record label, and possibly high(er) res internet radio. That's a lot of lines of business to dip into, so it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
    Discogs