ds7200 setup issue

Options
own_a_ds7200
own_a_ds7200 Posts: 3
edited May 2004 in Troubleshooting
Setup my new ds7200 system per polk manual, however the sound seems to be not loud enuf.

I have to crank the volume real high to achieve normal listening levels.

Also the sub does not produce tight bass.

appreciate your help.=, thank in advance
Post edited by own_a_ds7200 on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Welcome to the Club...

Have to warn you that I am not familiar with the DS7200.

Couple questions...
    How big is your listening room?
    What volume setting is "cranked"?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • own_a_ds7200
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I have to set the volume to -25 for normal listening levels( the volume starts at -75, I am a newbie so pl. bear with me)

the room is approx 13 x 11, has a vaulted ceiling

I have tried various placements for the sub, but it just sounds boomy kinda like the HTIB subs

Thanks
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Assuming your average ceiling height is 10', then at 1400 cu ft it's still smallish... But must consider that the adjacent open spaces also steal bass.

As for your listening level, -25 is not an abnomally high listening level for HT.

I spent a little more time reading about the DS7200. One thing I do not see is the cross-over setting for the sub. I suspect it is rather high, e.g., 150 Hz or greater, but can't verify it. I will say that a single 8" driver, with only a share of 350 watts powering it, is not going to produce extremely tight bass...

Might be best to give Polk Customer Service a call and discuss your room and what you are hearing. They are a great group of folks, second to none...

Sorry that I could not be of greater assistance...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Hello,
    There are a few suggestions I always try and give to DS7200 owners, I hope some are helpful:
    1). It is important to establish the link between the Polk processor and your television set, by running a video cable from the processor's "video TV out" to any unused "video in" on your television set. This is shown on page 12 of the Polk owner's manual. This is going to establish the "on screen" programming feature of the processor and is going to give you useful information on the status of the system.
    2). Once this is done, follow the "set-up and calibration" procedure given on page 20 of the same owner's manual. It is very important to balance the system, using the built-in test feature. This is where the "on screen" programming feature will be extremely important.
    3). Set the sub-woofer level by playing a CD that you feel has well recorded bass information, something where the sound engineers tried to get a realistic quality to the way bass sounds, not exaggerated, but well balanced and defined. Adjust the sub-woofer level until you can just detect the sub-woofer as a separate sound source. Then reduce the sub-woofer level a small amount, you want to find the point where a slight increase means you can detect the sub-woofer as an isolated sound source and a slight reduction causes the sub-woofer to "disappear". Someone who is not familiar with your system should never suspect that you have a sub-woofer, all of the sounds should seem to be coming from the satellites. Setting your sub-woofer level this way will improve bass clarity and definition, whenever any frequency range is elevated that soon becomes the "0" point, to our hearing, and all of the other frequencies are reduced by the boosted amount. When your system treats all frequencies equally you can begin hearing all of the subtle details that makes a "high fidelity" system ultimately satisfying.
    I hope this is helpful information.
    Regards, Ken
  • own_a_ds7200
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful tips. I have setup the balance/delay as per the manual.

The center channel sounds much lower than the satellites, I have increased the level to +10db for center and 0 for satellites yet the center sounds dimunitive.

could it be a problem with the amp in the subwoofer ?
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Something is definitely wrong there. Is the sound coming from the center speaker normal (i.e. just quiter than the others)?

You might try temporarily switching your center speaker with one of the others to see if the low volume/unclear sounds go with the center or stays on the center channel of amplification.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Hello,
    It is probable that you have activated the system's protection circuits. To reset the system unplug the AC power cord of the sub-woofer from your wall outlet and leave it un-plugged for at least 15 minutes. This will reset the amplifier's protection circuit, reduce the center cannel level before you begin re-balancing the system, as per the owner's manual instructions.
    Regards, Ken