Hi-tech cooling system

Options
BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
My amps generate so much heat that summer listening becomes unbearable. I could use the A/C, but that runs up the electric bill, and negates the solar savings. So, this year I tried something different. Low tech, but it works. :)

nup5i7tuh6c5.jpeg
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Good god you cheap skate. High dollar gear on a transistor radio budget.
    I bet you drink Bud Light as well
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Bear Republic Racer 5. Alcohol 7.5%. It’s muy bien. :)

tz4v1lvfdmrj.jpeg
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    If I ever get to hear Bud’s or Ray’s (or similar) systems someday, somebody around here has to be in charge of reminding me to wear a diaper. It’s highly likely there will be an emission/discharge of some sort!
    :#
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Hey if it works, great. Our last bill was a lot and we don't use A/C. Average was .30 cents a kwh.

I use an AC infinity on top of my AVR, My Emotiva doesn't get that warm.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @BlueFox What are those speakers?? Nothing short of beautiful brother.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    I’m a fan :wink: see what I did there
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options

And it didn't sound like?

https://youtu.be/TsI3lFHkU_s
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    Man, how do you guys not use your AC? Dry heat? We have brutal humidity here on the east coast in the summer, and temps in the 90s.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    @BlueFox What are those speakers?? Nothing short of beautiful brother.

Magico's.
    At all the Axpona's and RMAF's they have never disappointed me.
    Yep Buds system is a dream system there is no doubt about that.

Nice choice in beer Bud. For me Pale ale's turn my face inside out. My taste's are more to the malty end. My kids love the hoppy, super hoppy brews and love getting me to try their latest tastes and I oblige just to see them smile as I pull my face back to right side out.
    :D:D:D
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    Options
    We're eating up some of our solar 'savings' (net metering, which for us in essence is banking kW-hr now for the dark days of winter) feeding a high-efficiency heatpump to keep the living space in the house comfortable on hot, sunny days. Our southern exposure is great in the winter but kind of rough in the summer.

28569962627_289a775290_h.jpgDSC_1842 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

@Bluefox, the other way to look at your situation is thus: If your electricity is free, anything you use that's electric is a bonus relative to anything that gets its operating energy from any other source. I know that Mrs. H is gonna grumble in February when we actually will probably have an electricity bill to pay -- but I will remind her, and myself, that we kept comfortable in July :)

Cooling hifi components with a fan will just improve their heating effect on the rest of the room, though. It's good for the components (well... at least it's not bad for the components) but it's bad for the rest of the room (on a warm day). It's kind of a zero-sum game. Actually, it's slightly worse than that -- given the Second Law of Thermodynamics, the "house" always wins, and we always lose B)

• CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,027
    Options
    I opt for A/C *and* AC Infinity, TYVM. Metro Atlanta is brutal this time of year as well.
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,474
    Options
    I have a ductless system in the cave. Keeps it nice and cool. I turn it off during listening sessions so the room is dead quiet.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited August 2019
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Man, how do you guys not use your AC? Dry heat? We have brutal humidity here on the east coast in the summer, and temps in the 90s.

SoCal where I'm at maybe gets over 80, 20 days a year. I'm on top of a hill 8 miles from the ocean. It's open the windows and turn on the fans. Last year I ran the AC for a week during a heat wave 90+ with a few days over 100. My Electric bill for the month doubled.

My neighbor has solar, They use their AC a lot. They still have an electric bill close to mine if not more and have to pay on the solar. We are serviced not by San Diego Gas & Electric but by San Diego Greed and Extortion. Yes before bill pay we made our checks out to that and they cashed them.

My bro lives north of Atlanta, He said he pay 6 cents a kwh, that's 5X less than what we pay in SoCal. He has no problems using his AC.

Now this year SDG&E has a time of use thing going on. From 4 to 9pm the rates go up to 45 cents a kwh. Come home from work it doesn't matter if it's hot or not that AC stays off.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Average rate in Denverish area is 11 cents kWh. California is nuts.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,928
    Options
    I don’t have Bud’s system, and I also rarely find time to actually “actively listen” to music in recent years, but when the temperature indoors gets to 78°F the a/c is absolutely on, regardless, even if it’s only for the dog (in our absence).

Our rates vary between 17¢ and 41¢ (in the summer only, otherwise the high is 29¢), but hey! we live in the wealthiest state in the nation, and one of the five wealthiest places on earth, which means that just owning property here creates so much wealth each and every day that it’s just like owning an additional 401(k).
    Alea jacta est!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    And the amount of time you spend in traffic is like owning a piece of h3ll. ;)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    I don’t have Bud’s system, and I also rarely find time to actually “actively listen” to music in recent years, but when the temperature indoors gets to 78°F the a/c is absolutely on, regardless, even if it’s only for the dog (in our absence).

Our rates vary between 17¢ and 41¢ (in the summer only, otherwise the high is 29¢), but hey! we live in the wealthiest state in the nation, and one of the five wealthiest places on earth, which means that just owning property here creates so much wealth each and every day that it’s just like owning an additional 401(k).

I'll take 2nd or 3rd...being #1 isn't all is cracked up to be
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Kex
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Well, this could indeed be true, but not that different from any other major metropolis in the known universe...

What ever happened to the promise of remote working opportunities?!
    Alea jacta est!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Well, this could indeed be true, but not that different from any other major metropolis in the known universe...

What ever happened to the promise of remote working opportunities?!

Companies and computers let us do this world wide
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Kex
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Companies and computers let us do this world wide
    Yes they do... (and I've done it too myself) but they are few and far between.
    Alea jacta est!
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Those electric rates are insane. In PA, you can choose the provider & switch as often as you feel like. I just switched yesterday. IIRC my new rate is 4.73 cents/kwh.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    Here our ours:
    dpahtwuv241k.png

The weird thing is we cool our house and heat our pools......Thankfully our heater is gas.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    Electric bills be damned; I'll cut back in some other area before I'll pinch pennies and sacrifice my own comfort. The ac is on in the listening room and will stay on for the few hours it takes to get it down to 67.