Polk going downhill?

2»

Comments

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    so just because the DB speakers sound better than the dx3s, that doesnt mean theyre better in terms of bang for buck

Do you mean EX3 or dx? The new dbs are cheaper than the EX3 and dx.

and really...who pays MSRP anymore?
    no one
    unless youre stupid
    im not talking about "whoringtransshippingcaraudio.com" either...lmao
    im talking about actual authorized dealers though

I just brought it up because people tend to quote prices like that when arguing how brand "A" is a better value than brand "B." Just because one can be found online from a fly- by- night trans shipper and the other can't isn't a fair comparison. The shady "dealer" is decreasing the value of whatever lines he's selling, or claiming to sell. When I started out buying products in retail I paid near retail prices for the first few things. The more I bought the better the prices became. Before I started working there I was getting stuff at very near dealer cost because I had spent more than $10,000 at that shop in a couple years (yes, I was that big a dumbass). Lots of shops sell a bit below MSRP but if they do, it's usually across the board. That's why I said compare MSRP to MSRP- at least then you see who we're trying to sell against.

what i would like to see in Polk's sub is for them to be able to be PORTED
    and DVC models, which i believe someone mentioned they are coming out with DVC models...good

Yes, DVCs are around the corner.

i would not like to see momo
    -Cody

Just think of the Momo line as the "better" part of the good/ better/ best lines. The "best" just isn't here yet. At the moment most of our speakers have Momo on them but some day we'll have more non- Momo to help round it out.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    the reason i dont like to compare MSRP is because some companies have an outrageous MSRP prices but you can get them for cheap online from authorized dealers or even cheap from actual stores
    are the new subs able to be ported??
    i think thats a big reason why people are steered away from Polk
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Thom
    edited May 2004
    Some companies inflate MSRP to make the product seem more valuable, but if everyone (authorized guys, too) sells way below that price then it doesn't work. Being in CC for so long we thought of our main competition as the other lines in CC at our price points. CC runs sales and BOGOs all the time so it's hard to compare pricing any given week. My point is that even at MSRP our new stuff is strong, if a dealer's selling it for less all the better for the customer.

I don't know that we get all that many requests for ported boxes. When I was in retail we sold pretty much nothing but sealed custom boxes, or pre- loaded sealed and bandpass boxes (JL and Alumapro). We saw way more returns on bandpass woofers than sealed, and if we'd moved more ported enclosures I'd bet that they would've been the most likely to be blown up. We've had dealers in the past tell us that they used an MM104 or MM124 in a ported box and it sounded great but people's listening habits determine whether or not they'll blow it up. Most amps don't have adjustable subsonic filters so if you tune a box at 30- 35 Hz and don't cut off everything below that point you're asking for trouble.
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited May 2004
    Thom, I thought Biggs and Eldridge were very hush-hush on their front stage.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • Thom
    edited May 2004
    They are. I've heard this and that over the years and some of what I've heard about Mark's truck was true, but he showed us where everything was, what it was and what problems and or benefits he found with different set- ups throughout the years. Everyone in the class paid to be there and he was the instructor so he was using the 4- Runner as an example. I don't think he discusses these things with people at shows in general. I think he said we were the only people to see his install book besides judges.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by bknauss
    JBL seems to be doing well with both speakers and amps. PG, MTX, Kicker, RF...

The companies mentioned are mostly known for amps and subs, but none-the-less, they are known for having their hands in two different pots and seem to be doing fairly well with the amount of product they sell. Some of these companies aren't making great products in these two pots, nor are they equal in both pots, but it can be done :)

I love the idea of a Polk competition car. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Biggs and Eldridge made another competition car for JBL together. I'm fairly certain they're only competing with the same rides they've had for years. Maybe Polk could just lure a big name like JBL did with Biggs, Eldridge, and Gates! While we're at it, maybe we can find out details on Biggs's and Eldridge's setup... maybe that will always be the great secret of the world.

Thats my point partner. PG, MTX and Kicker make great amps. Their speakers kind of suck. Same with PPI and Orion. I have no problem with a company trying to make more money and Im not trying to condemn any company for trying it. I merely saying that they seem a little more "distinguished" when they specialize in one product like Focal with their speakers or US Amps with their amps. ;)

Yeah, Biggs and Eldgridge didnt make a car for JBL but they are competing under the JBL flag for the express purpose of promoting JBL. Ive said this before but judging by the Polk Civic, our talented Polk Installers are more than capable of putting together a competition car that would be a force in the IASCA!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by Thom
    It won't do me any good, though, because I can't see myself ever putting in those kinds of hours on my own car. I've got way too much time wrapped up in it over the years as it is, but I think he's spent more time tuning than I have installing and tuning. Maybe that's why I haven't won a show in who knows how long...

Ya know, I think thats why the competition scene is dwindling. Nowadays everybody at comps has had a shop do the install for them. I think there should be a rule or at least a class where you cant compete unless you did the install yourself.

And if you look at competitiors cars, they are barely driveable. Like Biggs ride, the kick panels extend all the way to the brake pedal! This is not practical at all! Plus if you dont have extensive experience in fiber glass work or the $15,000 to pay somebody with experience, you will have a hard time putting together a worthy, competitive system.

That is why I usually only pay attention to the Consumer and Basic classes where its usually some dude with a Circuit City install wanting to try his luck. To me thats more entertaining than a rig with $50,000 in components and a $50,000 install done by a TEAM if pros at the local shop!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    I think there should be a rule or at least a class where you cant compete unless you did the install yourself.
    if they made a rule like that, there would be so many ways to get around it it would be unbelievable
    lol
    as far as ported boxes go, i think youd be surprised about how many people would go for it...with all the programs and calculators on the internet now virtually anyone can find out how they want it tuned
    i can understand about losing money because subs are breaking because theyre being put in ported boxes...but theres an easy way to fix that...make 'em stronger...
    :D
    oo, and one thing no one has mentioned yet, a 1000x1@2ohms amp would be nice:)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Ya know, I think thats why the competition scene is dwindling. Nowadays everybody at comps has had a shop do the install for them. I think there should be a rule or at least a class where you cant compete unless you did the install yourself.

And if you look at competitiors cars, they are barely driveable. Like Biggs ride, the kick panels extend all the way to the brake pedal! This is not practical at all! Plus if you dont have extensive experience in fiber glass work or the $15,000 to pay somebody with experience, you will have a hard time putting together a worthy, competitive system.

That is why I usually only pay attention to the Consumer and Basic classes where its usually some dude with a Circuit City install wanting to try his luck. To me thats more entertaining than a rig with $50,000 in components and a $50,000 install done by a TEAM if pros at the local shop!

Depends on the class of competition, and sometimes the competitor, on how much of a crazy install is done. In IASCA's Ultra X, you've got two guys with a ton of fiberglass and install expertise (Eldridge and Syner... assuming Syner is competing still since he isn't listed on the current stats) and then Buwalda with very little fiberglass. Then again, Buwalda has a fairly high end welded amp rack...

I'm doing my own car from start to finish. Yea, the install may not look beautiful at the end (first time doing a good amount of fiberglass and first time laying down carpet), but whatever points I get I know I will earn :)
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk