Now I did it.

mrloren
mrloren Posts: 2,454
Happy Saturday,

Last week I started to look to replace my warehouse speakers. I was getting tired of the RTi4's and having to push them hard to get the warehouse rocking. I was looking for Cerwin Vega but everyone on CL and OfferUp wanted over $200 for them. I did make a couple of $100 offers but no reply. I wound up getting the Advent Prodigy.

This morning as I was heading out the door for work, one of the CV offers calls me and wants to meet. Oh well it's on the way. I meet the guy and he's selling a beat up pair of AT-12 Vegas, no grill cabinets look like they have been used as a shelf. I tell the guy $50, he said no, I turned to get in my car then he says OK. Oh man, I was loving the advent sound.

Get to work unload these monsters hook them up and no bass from one. Open it up a wire came off one woofer. Hook it all back up put on some tunes @ -20db oops they are Vegas. Forgot how loud Vegas can be. On a side note, when I opened it up I could tell they have had the surrounds replaced.

iupvsoow73uh.jpg

Sound Quality is far from the Advent but I no longer have to push it to fill the warehouse with decent tunes. One of the guy's at work said "now those are warehouse speakers". It did make 2 hours of inventory go a lot nicer.

When I got married I had Advent Maestros for listening and CV for blasting. I setup the Advents by my cube for mellow listening and now have the Vegas for blasting.
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited July 2019
    Nice pickup, Loren.
    I never had an opportunity to hear any CVs, but my first couple of pair of speakers probably weren't even as good :D

Always been a little curious to hear some for myself.
    I disabled signatures.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Nice, those will get the job done. Had a pair of D9's set-up in my basement shop which was not a very big space. The tendency to blast them, because that's what they're best for, was too great. Was afraid I'd end up permanently damaging my hearing. Sold them a few months back.
  • mrloren
    msg wrote: »
    Nice pickup, Loren.
    I never had an opportunity to hear any CVs, but my first couple of pair of speakers probably weren't even as good :D

Always been a little curious to hear some for myself.

You should get a listen to some. Older they are better the SQ, Made in USA Vega's are decent. The new stuff I've heard sounded like a cat being stepped on with a ton of bloated boom bass.

Vega's are made to do one thing first, that is go loud. SQ has always been second or third on the list for their engineering.

My last pair were D5 from 1986, had them till Y2K. We moved into the new house with ceiling pre-wire. I didn't mind letting the Vega's go but the Advents I'm still a little upset over. Then again that is what I get for trying to meet WAF.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    My first set of speakers I bought with my own money were Cerwin Vega D7's. First thing I did was pull the tweeter and put in a good peerless silk dome. Second thing was new caps. I had them until I bought some SDA1 signatures and it was all over for the vegas.
  • mrloren
    My first Vega's were from GEMCO back in the day. Don't remember the model 10" 3 way. Had them till my apartment got ripped.

I was at a friends and his dad had these nice Polk bookshelf speakers that Stairway sounded so good on. I saved my paper rout money and got them for when I wanted to listen to real music. I like the good ole A/B switch.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    This was a very recent revelation. A little back story. I like to have 2-4 pairs of speakers to rotate in my system from time to time. I find this scratches a certain itch. Right now I take a small allowance every month,it's my mad money. I'll be retiring in about 4 years,so I'd like to add another pair of speakers in to the mix.
    I have set my sights on a pair of Harbeth P3esr's. I am constantly checking every source I can for used gear. My biggest fear with the Harbeths,was I going to spend some serious cash( for me at least) and then find out I don't like them.
    So 2 weeks ago I'm checking out the classifieds on another forum,and I spot a pair of Spendor s3/5's for a very fair price. I widdle the price down a bit more,and shazzam! Here they are in my listening room. These little monitors have blown me away! I am just smitten with them. Are they keepers? Not any more. I've read bout the similarities between the Spendors,and the Harbeths. I told my brother about my plan to bring in the less expensive Spendors,and if I like them,sell them and get a used pair of Harbeths. Well he came over,and halfway through the first song I plaid,his eyes perk up and said when I was ready,he'd take them.
    I can only imagine how the P3esrs will sound. I kind of feel bad though,I have a pair of Nola Boxer 2's,and a pair of Hornshoppe Great Horned Heils that are now covered up off to the side. I am so blown away with these British Mini Monitors,can I ever go back???
    I know,it's a tough problem to have!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    Oops!! ^^^^^ wrong thread!!!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Romo11
    Romo11 Posts: 101
    mrloren wrote: »
    Happy Saturday,

Last week I started to look to replace my warehouse speakers. I was getting tired of the RTi4's and having to push them hard to get the warehouse rocking. I was looking for Cerwin Vega but everyone on CL and OfferUp wanted over $200 for them. I did make a couple of $100 offers but no reply. I wound up getting the Advent Prodigy.

This morning as I was heading out the door for work, one of the CV offers calls me and wants to meet. Oh well it's on the way. I meet the guy and he's selling a beat up pair of AT-12 Vegas, no grill cabinets look like they have been used as a shelf. I tell the guy $50, he said no, I turned to get in my car then he says OK. Oh man, I was loving the advent sound.

Get to work unload these monsters hook them up and no bass from one. Open it up a wire came off one woofer. Hook it all back up put on some tunes @ -20db oops they are Vegas. Forgot how loud Vegas can be. On a side note, when I opened it up I could tell they have had the surrounds replaced.

iupvsoow73uh.jpg

Sound Quality is far from the Advent but I no longer have to push it to fill the warehouse with decent tunes. One of the guy's at work said "now those are warehouse speakers". It did make 2 hours of inventory go a lot nicer.

When I got married I had Advent Maestros for listening and CV for blasting. I setup the Advents by my cube for mellow listening and now have the Vegas for blasting.

What a sweet deal. Good hunting mrloren!
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,492
    I'll jump in anyway!
    AFA Harbeth P3esr: "then find out I don't like them."
    There is no way you won't like what they do.
    You may miss what they don't do.

Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • mrloren
    Had a ton of paperwork to do today. I put on some rush 2112, flipped over to the Advent's and oh my what a joy. I just ran them in full range no sub at all. I forgot how sweet Advents are. Wish I could find some Maestros.

Went to do daily incoming and flipped over to the Vega,, oops forgot to turn it down first. @ -22 the Vegas are noise complaint loud.

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,492
    400 bones will get you a reformed pair off fleabay...
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • mrloren
    SIHAB wrote: »
    400 bones will get you a reformed pair off fleabay...

I saw but no need just a want... maybe someday a set will pop up.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Advents do have outstanding tweeters! :p

I think I've liked every pair of Advents I've owned.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.