Prime Day - 2019

Jimbo18
Jimbo18 Posts: 2,334
Looking for a 75" Samsung or Sony TV, in the $1000 or less range, for a friend. Missed out on a 70" Sony for half price. By the time I saw it, not only was it sold out, but the waitlist was full. Never tried to use PD before, but it looks like you need to have it on all day to catch the best deals.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,562
    Marketing in the 21st Century is a funny thing, isn't it? Folks today seem to have Pavlovian responses to sales.

I looked at the pre-listing of stuff on sale from Amazon (posted by someone a day or two ago) and said to myself nothing there I 'need' (or even particularly want).

But then again, I cannot fathom why anyone would want 75 inches of their home taken up by a TV. Heck, I am not sure this house even has 75 inches of contiguous wall space.

Sorry to be all urinatin' in the cornflakes -- I guess I really am a Luddite.

:(
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,579
    Diff strokes hardy... some would say that about floor space required by massive cabinets with horns, or space for ventilation for tube amps :smile:

Me, next year a 75” or 80” will be happening to replace my 60”
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I picked up a new Kindle Paperwhite @$50 off

I read a lot of books from Amazon and this was very convenient for me.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,116
    Diff strokes hardy... some would say that about floor space required by massive cabinets with horns, or space for ventilation for tube amps :smile:

Or walls (rooms???) taken up by old receivers, tape decks, reel to reel decks, vcrs, who knows what else??? At least that tv gets used 😂
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,466
    I picked up another Western Digital 6TB black hard drive for a good price for extra media player storage. They also have good pricing on some of the red NAS and red pro drives.

And an extra Fire TV 4K stick because I need one. Best prices are on the proprietary Amazon electronics stuff.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,117
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    Looking for a 75" Samsung or Sony TV, in the $1000 or less range, for a friend. Missed out on a 70" Sony for half price. By the time I saw it, not only was it sold out, but the waitlist was full. Never tried to use PD before, but it looks like you need to have it on all day to catch the best deals.

Try this link:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR70X830F-70-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B07CWWYCYY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=Sony+70+inch&psr=PDAY&qid=1563200552&s=prime-day&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=1-1&th=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=t0300-20&linkId=7e5b0848b0ad35760e52500f41175e68&language=en_US

Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    Do you Prime members get advance notice of these sales? My daughter has mentioned getting emails but I never have. Do you just have to be on the website at the right time?
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Jimbo18
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    Do you Prime members get advance notice of these sales? My daughter has mentioned getting emails but I never have. Do you just have to be on the website at the right time?

I think you have to be there. If there's a way to get notified, I don't know what it is.

@vmaxer, that is the TV I was looking at for my friend, but the deal was only $800 and is sold out. $1,047 is still a good price, but with a day and a half left, I guess we will keep watching for a better one.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,250
    what's this amazon thing ?

From watching the truck driver's I deal with bang TV's around they are delivering NO THANK YOU.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,466
    No emails beyond general notices that there is a two day event. Prime members can visit the site to see what deals are coming up or search for deals that are active. The lightning things are what gets attention but there is usually little stock on thise. The idea is to boost site traffic in what would otherwise be a slow period.
  • mhardy6647

Good point -- although the program material is rather different, too.

Plus... We've got floor space :)

B)
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2019
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    what's this amazon thing ?

From watching the truck driver's I deal with bang TV's around they are delivering NO THANK YOU.

Amusingly enough, flatscreen TVs fare quite well in shipping; so much so that a European manufacturer of electric bikes changed their packaging in a -- successful -- attempt to minimize damage in transport to their products. It's an interesting story :)

https://www.theverge.com/2016/9/25/13048668/vanmoof-shipping-damages-dutch-bicycle-design

hihode6m1zyg.png
    (I know, I know -- I've mentioned this before :p I do think it's an awfully cool example of -
    ahem - thinking outside the box B) )
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 5,030
    edited July 2019
    I just got an email from...all companies....LG to look for their **** 💩 appliances during Prime Day. Somehow in the process of registering my displeasure about my oven I was added to their email list. Yes, I am a grumpy old man!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,321
    Other places are also having sales to compete with Prime Day. I just picked up a new Netgear CM1100 cable modem at Costco for $119 with free shipping.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Jimbo18
    edited July 2019
    Just found this (never heard of the store, but darn good price on a QLED)

Edit - Sorry, scam site. Deleted
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,116
    Just found this (never heard of the store, but darn good price on a QLED)

ugzaanidczwk.png

run away!

https://www.newsonlineincome.com/vonstv/
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Jimbo18
    Yeah, did some research. Should have done that before I posted. Too good to be true
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I bought a new cover for my tractor. Opportune, as the old one has deteriorated. 20 bucks off, and 2 day ship. :smile:
    iyi7mc95419f.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Crutchfield actually has some good sale prices in some of the LG OLEDs right now. Specifically, these 3 models:

https://www.crutchfield.com/product/specials/default.aspx?offerid=149343
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Jimbo18
    jflail2 wrote: »
    Crutchfield actually has some good sale prices in some of the LG OLEDs right now. Specifically, these 3 models:

https://www.crutchfield.com/product/specials/default.aspx?offerid=149343

Thanks, but he's mostly looking for a Sony or Samsung. I watched Amazon most of the day and didn't see another deal for a 70 - 75" TV from them.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    I bought a strong 3+ wood. No electronics...yet.
  • jflail2
    ]

Thanks, but he's mostly looking for a Sony or Samsung. I watched Amazon most of the day and didn't see another deal for a 70 - 75" TV from them.

Looks like there's some decent Samsung deals at Crutchfield as well:

https://www.crutchfield.com/specials_category_16/TVs-Video-Deals-And-Specials.html?nvpair=FFCategory|[rank260050]TVs&nvpair=FFBrand|Samsung&o=p

65" for $1,500 and a 75" for $1,800.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Now that I am retired I have become a terrible consumer, and haven’t bought squat in months. I guess when the economy collapses it will be my fault. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,956
    I was like that when both of us retired, you'll get over it.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,659
    Costco LG 75" $870
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Jimbo18
    Never did find a good deal, that wasn't already sold out, on a 75" Sony or Samsung. There was a Samsung 65" QLED for about $800 that I tried to talk him into but he's determined to get a 75".

Football season is fast approaching so he better find it soon.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,895
    I bought a Shark steam mop...LoL.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2019
    Never did find a good deal, that wasn't already sold out, on a 75" Sony or Samsung. There was a Samsung 65" QLED for about $800 that I tried to talk him into but he's determined to get a 75".

Football season is fast approaching so he better find it soon.

So... do the folks who actually get those insane Prime Day deals just turn around and flip 'em on eBAY or CL or wherever? You know, like those folks who stand in line on Record Store Day?

Do I sound grouchy about modern economic trends? :|

soum792i4xva.png

(PS If I didn't keep after 'em, my eyebrows would look like ol' Andy's in no time. So would my ears. :( )
    Milito wrote: »
    I was like that when both of us retired, you'll get over it.

Right after I retired (spring 2014) our old lawnmower crossed the Rainbow Bridge, and I had to buy a new one. I bought the second cheapest one I could find.

This past December, I bought myself a new car (albeit a pretty cheap one).

So... yeah... one kinda adapts to one's new normal.

:)

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited July 2019
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ...But then again, I cannot fathom why anyone would want 75 inches of their home taken up by a TV. Heck, I am not sure this house even has 75 inches of contiguous wall space. :(
    Well, those that have a 425 sq ft apartment in Manhattan will make different choices regarding TV, furniture, etc, than those that have a 3500 sq ft home in Utah. Also, those that watch a lot of TV, Movies, etc. are more likely to not only have larger updated TV's but several TV's throughout the home. Those that don't partake may only have one small TV. Heck, I work with someone that at one point in the last 10 years did not have a TV, computer, or cell phone! I'm sure if he could have gone off grid with solar, wind, and batteries if he would could have.

Many of us grew up with one of these in the home...TV and stereos became furniture that took up space.
    1950's-1970's
    Curtis%20Mathes%20josha.JPG
    ovrphil++2-28-2014-15-44-54.jpg

In the 70's we also had a white and gold with crushed gold velvet stereo cabinet with disco lights, and smoked gold speckled mirrors on top. This thing had to be about 7 feet wide! Yeah, it took up most of the wall in the downtown condo, then 1700 sq ft homes I grew up in.
    1950's-1970's
    SolidWalnut.jpg

Fast forward to 2019... Some that have space might love to stay home and watch movies. Some theaters are crowded and some older ones are dirty with sticky floors. Even without having a dedicated theater room one can put together a large TV watching area in the family room mated with a surround sound system. The effect is very similar to the larger than life picture and sound of the 30 ft-89 ft screen at the movie theater.

fc-justin-1.jpg?10205726846712111193
    conrad_castelo_10.jpg?17872004989100894573

I've had a 73" then 70" since around 2012 mounted on a 18 ft wall currently and the wall sill looks bare. I'm fine with it but if I replace it it will be with a 75" LED or a 77" OLED in my dreams!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • jflail2
    Agreed WL. My next home purchase WILL have a theater room in the basement. Love my 65" Sony 4K and can't wait to replace it with a nice projector and screen combo. Different strokes and all that.