PSW505 Issues - Plate amp seems to be broken

Hi,

I had bought PSW505 from Newegg on 11/24/2014. It had been working great until I recently noticed it was creating some distortion noise. When I turn on the subwoofer, the red led turns on for a bit and then fades away with some distortion noise. It doesn't stay on.

I contacted Polk support on 12/10/2018. They said it is out of warranty and I need to buy a
plate amplifier.

Is there anything I can do to make it work again. The price of the plate amplifier quoted from Polk was expensive like buying a new subwoofer.

I will appreciate any help or suggestion you can provide.

Thank you.

Answers

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,927
    Buy a new sub.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verbverb Posts: 7,979
    I feel your pain @madanthapa as we've all been through the dreaded red light heartbeat issue. Certainly a new plate amp is an easy swap out, but the price as you found out is quite high! I've swapped out a couple of plate amps on my Polk subs in the past.

Taking your chances on a used plate amp is risky too. You may be able to find one for a deal if you're patient.

An alternative is upgrading your sub to an SVS or others. I have a couple of SVS subs and love em! And the customer service is excellent!

Good luck! And welcome! Keep us posted on where your journey takes you!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,960
    madanthapa wrote: »
    Hi,

I had bought PSW505 from Newegg on 11/24/2014. It had been working great until I recently noticed it was creating some distortion noise. When I turn on the subwoofer, the red led turns on for a bit and then fades away with some distortion noise. It doesn't stay on.

I contacted Polk support on 12/10/2018. They said it is out of warranty and I need to buy a
    plate amplifier.

Is there anything I can do to make it work again. The price of the plate amplifier quoted from Polk was expensive like buying a new subwoofer.

I will appreciate any help or suggestion you can provide.

Thank you.

Honestly 4.5 years at the price you likely paid is quite a deal! Save up and do it right this time. SVS and HSU are your best bets for budget, SQ, and longevity!
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • madanthapamadanthapa Posts: 2
    Thank you, everyone, for the quick response. As everyone one suggested I will start looking for a new one.
  • Mr. SharpeMr. Sharpe Posts: 1,264
    I must be the luckiest psw505 owner ever? Had mine for 8 years and it's still killin it
    Electronics: Westinghouse 43" LED, Marantz UD-7007 player, Denon AVR-x3100w receiver/preamp, DIY Ethereal ESO-1 power conditioner, Parasound HCA-1500a power house.

Speakers: Polk Audio RTA-12c mains, Polk Audio PSW-505 sub, Klipsch rc-10 center, Klipsch RB-41 surrounds.

Cables: Audioquest King Cobras, Audiquest Diamondbacks, Pangea HDMI's (one for audio, one for video), KnuKonceptz sub cable, Pangea AC-14 and AC-14se's, Pangea AC-9, Dayton Audio speaker wire.