Got the dremel out today...

exalted512
exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited May 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
and started dremeling the grills
the dremel is battery powered so right now im waiting on it to recharge which takes about 3 hours...
i got 4 of the "spokes" done on one of the grills
ill knock the other 4 out tonight as well, charge it and work on the other grill tomorrow hopefully
and i got my amp back today
the output circuit **** the fan on it
havent hooked it up yet...possibly tomorrow as well
-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited May 2004
    Cool. Glad to see that the momo's will have the clearance they deserve. I don't have a dremel, so I have an old B+D Drill that is really slow... really sucked when I had to cut out a plexiglass window for my car. In the house, I use the bits attatched to a little electric motor from a printer... sounds weird but it works to an ewxtent. Man, I need to just go get tools.
    Have fun with the rest of it. Did you have to pay anything to have that fan replaced? If so, keep me in mind next time, I love to do electronics repair, it's a hobby for me.
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    got it finished today and the subs dont hit anymore
    there were actually small marks on the grill from the subs...yikes...
    like where the paint was shiny
    i have pics and ill post em later, but im not sure if youll be able to see em
    and it was the output circuit that broke--i just use '**** the fan' as in it died...
    and it was all under warranty so i only paid shipping
    which since i used to work at a mail center in town, i still get a discount:D
    going to try and reinstall the amp tomorrow if i can find the time...shouldnt take that long...hopefully
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    It shouldnt take too long, since youve got the wires and everything back there already.

Im sure you cant wait. Although I bet youre used to being able to use your rear view mirror now and will have to get the hang of driving again by seeing squiggly lines rather than cars in it! LOL ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Although I bet youre used to being able to use your rear view mirror now and will have to get the hang of driving again by seeing squiggly lines rather than cars in it! LOL ;)
    lol
    youre not kidding either though...
    everytime my radar detector goes off i have to turn the radio down so i can see if theres a cop behind me...lol
    im kinda disappointed though, it hasnt fallen off yet...
    when i get my brahmas and a USAmps 3000 ill probably have to carry glue in my glove compartment
    i cant wait:D
    lol
    when i was dremeling the plastic was melting and giving off this awful smell
    i have a headache now...lol
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2004
    Cody, did you take the grilles off to dremel them, or did you just do it while screwed into the box? How hard was it, and how does it look now?
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    i took them off
    wasnt hard
    ill have b4 and after pics up sometime next week
    -Cody
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2004
    Hehe glad to see you finally got arround to doing it, you woudln't believe the difference it makes... i mean when that rubber was vibrating off that grill it just sounded terrible and killed the bass... now i can crank it up much higher and i don't hear a thing other than loud clear bass, you'll be glad you did it

hehe and i hear you man about the plastic melting, it smells hella bad and theres basically no way to avoid it
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    yeah, i finally got off my **** and did it
    my truck is still a mess though...the back seat is unbolted, off the brackets and folded straight up and down right behind my front seats, the sub box is also facing grill side up instead of grill side forward
    and upfiring has taken a lot of the bass out
    it does seem to have a little more SQ though
    but maybe its my imagination
    when i get my brahmas im going to use these momos as test subs
    im going to build various boxes for em and see what i like, then hopefully i can sell the boxes for at least material cost
    i need money first...
    donations for research anyone?
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    i'd be willing to do it the other way round... you donate the speakers to me, and i'll make a couple boxes :p.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    come on man, its in the name of science
    lol
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    hmm, we'll do it 50-50; you send me the speakers, and then you build the boxes. yes? :)

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    ill send you the speakers if you pay the shipping
    shouldnt be more than $200 a speaker:D
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    haha :p

wait, really??

• exalted512
    edited May 2004
    really!
    $400 and both of my mm124s can be yours!
    :)
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    hehe... nah, no thanx. besides, ups says it's only $31 (COD and insured). anyways, im thinking something higher. which of these do you like?
    diamond tdx 10
    eclipse titanium 10
    jlaudio w7 (yeah, yeah)
    cdt HD 10
    focal K2 power 10
    image dynamics idmax 10
    mbquart premium 10
    adire brahma 10

i've also heard of these:
    oz matrix 10
    rainbow SW 250 E Audiophile 10
    boston acoustics proseries 10
    seas excel 10

• exalted512
    edited May 2004
    im going to get the brahmas later this year...if that makes a difference
    www.sound-foundations.us
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    yeah, that's a pretty big boost for the brahma. are there any you'd strike from that list? i'm leaning towards eclipse/diamond/adire/idmax right now, but that can change. and it probably will. but, finally, graduation is just around the corner, so there should be a pretty good influx of cash there. so i can finally get my subs.

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by neomagus00

diamond tdx 10
    eclipse titanium 10
    jlaudio w7 (yeah, yeah)
    cdt HD 10
    focal K2 power 10
    image dynamics idmax 10
    mbquart premium 10
    adire brahma 10

oz matrix 10
    seas excel 10
    havent heard the CDT, focal, quart, oz, rainbow, ba, or the seas
    i havent even heard of seas
    the eclipses are pretty expensive though
    tdx are really nice, but i dont know their price
    jl-you know
    cdt-havent heard it, cdt is awesome though
    focal-havent heard it either but focal is pretty amazing though
    the IDs are really nice, but pbd has a lot of problems with his, but they were V2s, the V3s are supposed to be pretty good
    id like to add the resonance engineering **** to the list
    its a sql woofer
    its a little louder than the brahma from what i understand, but a little more expensive, and a little less SQ, but probably not noticeable
    those are all pretty much what i consider to be the "Super-Subs" of today, you cant really go wrong with any of them
    reason why im going with the brahma is because its the cheapest of em
    -Cody
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited May 2004
    Seas seems to be 90% home drivers. They're like Peerless, Vifa, and Scanspeak..... home theater companies that put out some car stuff.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2004

diamond tdx 10
    eclipse titanium 10
    jlaudio w7 (yeah, yeah)
    cdt HD 10
    focal K2 power 10
    image dynamics idmax 10
    mbquart premium 10
    adire brahma 10

oz matrix 10
    seas excel 10

For what its worth, heres my $.02.

When it comes to subs I think JL is the daddy! Cant go wrong with them but I consider them more of an SQ sub than SPL.

Focal is freaking awesome! They dont hit as hard as JL but they are very sweet, but very pricey even by JL standards.

MB Quart makes some of the best speakers in the world however their subs are in the Audiobahn league. I dont know why but every Quart sub Ive ever heard sounds good and all but Id categorize it as a little sloppy.

Diamond Audio makes an awesome sub. They can handle a **** load of power and they move more air than a wind tunnel and still sound very good and tight. Another one you cant go wrong with.

I dont like much of anything that Boston Acoustic has put out. Speakers or subs. Im not saying they suck because a lot of people like them, they just dont sound good to me.

Eclipse arent bad but you could do better.

I havent heard any of the others.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    I can personally vouch for both the brahma and the **** over the JL w7
    now these WERE in DIFFERENT cars, but all were in ported boxes, but i do not know the tuning of the and they were probably all different
    but to me, they were all very close, but the brahma took it in SQ, the **** and W7 both seemed the same...i couldnt hear a difference, and maybe they werent tuned for SQ, but I liked the brahma better
    the **** was the loudest, but not by much, the w7 and the brahma were the same as far as SPL goes
    but when it comes to price-the **** and brahma blow the w7 out of the water
    the brahma is like $40 cheaper than the ****
    thats what sold me on the brahma
    muy bueno:)
    if you want any more in depth detail on the brahma, go to www.caraudiotalk.com and talk to sandt38--he owns the sound foundations website--or he helps run it, one of the 2
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    okay, this just occurred to me... i drive a convertible. the rear wall (from the cabin to the trunk) is covered, naturally, by the rear bench. the seatback of said bench seems built to withstand a direct battleship shelling... solid is the point i'm trying to get across here. behind that, there is a hole about (conveniently) is exactly the same size as a 300.2. my concern is this: will i hear the subtle difference in sq in my car? it is built like a tank (quite literally, with the internal bracing and so on) and is a droptop, so i'm hearing the same thing that the guy in the car next to me is - no cabin gain here. will the difference between a brahma and a ****, for example, be audible?

or between an eclipse and a momo?

on eclipse: a little bird told me that the titanium series is pretty much competition only, and won't sound as clean as a step down (the black ones). deafeningly loud, but not as clean. can anyone comment on this through experience?

the same little bird says that, from reference series down it's: titanium(model # SW9...), black(#8...), aluminium(#SW8...). their site is laid out: titanium, aluminium, black; the powerhandling matches the second layout, and there's nothing else to go by. does anyone know for sure? any ideas what the 'sw' designation means?

since i think that i'll be doing this install myself, what are some good internet dealers? i have acaraudio, onlinecarstereo, and sounddomain bookmarked. any others?

mac - i simply cannot justify to myself the cost of a w7. and at this point in my life, the same goes for a focal. so, they've been removed from the list. the same little birdie from above said that diamond sux azz. any comment? perhaps the birdie heard a diamond a couple years back and they've gotten hella better since?

modified list:
    added
    alpine type-x
    polk daddy momo
    good
    eclipse
    -titanium
    -black ones
    diamond tdx
    adire brahma
    unknowns
    cdt hd
    oz matrix
    rainbow audiophile
    questioned
    idmax (because of vince's troubles)
    seas excel (the mostly-home bit frightens me)
    boston proseries (bad review so far)
    mbquart premium (same)
    gone
    jl w7 (price)
    focal k2 power (price; probably inaudible difference)

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2004
    So, uh, who is this little birdie? Is he a reliable source, or a friend who think's he's "in the know"?
    Online retailers: depending on which brands you want,
    Infinite Car Audio
    The Zeb
    Ike Sound
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    nah, the difference b/t a brahma and a **** probably wont be audible if theyre in similiarly designed boxes
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2004

mac - i simply cannot justify to myself the cost of a w7. and at this point in my life, the same goes for a focal. so, they've been removed from the list. the same little birdie from above said that diamond sux azz. any comment? perhaps the birdie heard a diamond a couple years back and they've gotten hella better since?

modified list:
    added
    alpine type-x
    polk daddy momo
    good
    eclipse
    -titanium
    -black ones
    diamond tdx
    adire brahma
    unknowns
    cdt hd
    oz matrix
    rainbow audiophile
    questioned
    idmax (because of vince's troubles)
    seas excel (the mostly-home bit frightens me)
    boston proseries (bad review so far)
    mbquart premium (same)
    gone
    jl w7 (price)
    focal k2 power (price; probably inaudible difference)

I hear ya on the price. I cant even come close to affording one myself. You could try the W6. They are my alltime favorite sub and they are around $300. And for the Codys of the world (:p) that will say JL blows, Car Audio & Electronics said "I would have to say that the 12W6 is the best sounding subwoofer Ive tested for CA&E." Thats a pretty good endorsement to me! ;)

Now to the blasphemy of Diamond sucking, Id have to say that a certain little birdie dont know ****! I bet you cant find 5 people in the world that would even use "suck" and "Diamond Audio" in the same sentence let alone together!

Im all about SQ and am also not much of a bass-head so my sub opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. With that being said here are my top 5 subs.

1- JL Audio W6:
    Rules! $300 range

2- Diamond Audio CM3:
    Handles tons of power, works in a super small box and sounds great. $200 range

3- Kicker L7
    A whole Time Life Edition of whoop ****! Handles obscene amounts of power and uses a very small box. May be a little muddy in the SQ dept. $300 range

4- MTX Thunder 8500
    Sounds great and hits very hard. $350 range

5- Polk Daddy Momo
    Sounds great and handles a lot of power in a smallish box. $220 range

• exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Car Audio & Electronics said "I would have to say that the 12W6 is the best sounding subwoofer Ive tested for CA&E."
    car audio and electronics is probably the most biased car audio magazine out there
    they say whatever the company(in that case JL) pays them to
    or thats the way it seems...
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by AustinKP
    So, uh, who is this little birdie? Is he a reliable source, or a friend who think's he's "in the know"?
    the birdie is a group of people whom i generally respect and trust, but am rapidly becoming more wary of. whether they are in the know, or they think they are and aren't, or they're just total idiots and are bullshitting me, i dunno. it's a pretty messed up little birdie :p.
    Originally posted by exalted512
    nah, the difference b/t a brahma and a **** probably wont be audible if theyre in similiarly designed boxes
    cool
    car audio and electronics is probably the most biased car audio magazine out there
    that's not good...
    [Originally posted by MacLeod
    Im all about SQ and am also not much of a bass-head so my sub opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.
    it will be a very small grain... this description applies rather well to me too

you had the diamond c3 on your list... how much better is the tdx?

ever heard the brahma? if so, where's that belong on your list?

• MacLeod
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    -Cody

Yeah I figured you say something like that.

So the reason Performance Auto Sound, Mobile Entertainment, Carsound and Performance and Car Audio and Electronics all give JL rave reviews is because JL pays them off?

You wouldnt happen to see black helicopters following you around do ya? Or maybe men in black suits with dark glasses outside your house?

"Hey just cause Im paranoid doesnt mean Im not being followed!"

:p

• MacLeod
    edited May 2004
    you had the diamond c3 on your list... how much better is the tdx?

ever heard the brahma? if so, where's that belong on your list?

TDX is Diamonds top of the line and it is a hoss! These monsters can handle up to 1200 RMS!!!!!! That being said, they are way expensive and I would consider them more an SPL sub than one for SQ.

I like the CM3 because it will work in a very tiny sealed box which is perfect for my application and it handles a lot of power as well. From 400 RMS on the 8 all the way to 600 RMS for the 15.

I had never heard of Adire before some of the guys here started bringing them up so I know virtually nothing about them and have never heard one.

• exalted512
    edited May 2004

So the reason Performance Auto Sound, Mobile Entertainment, Carsound and Performance and Car Audio and Electronics all give JL rave reviews is because JL pays them off?
    not exactly, but ive heard so many people say they are biased towards certain companies
    ask John, as a former subscriber he can tell you
    if youve looked over the years they have given some great reviews to some crappy merchandise
    -Cody