Four way XLR cable shootout

Options
124»

Comments

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited March 2021
    Options
    @clipdat I’ve searched and searched for those Monoprice 3’ premier MXLR -> FXLR - 3 would be a great start.

Since drafting this reply guess what showed up in my email - the 3 footers!

Researching a means to “build in” my consumer equipment a balanced input; but one thing at a time. So far about $42 per channel or sub - ouch!

Thanks for your indulgence and that wonderfully helpful Polkie friendship. Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    I upgraded the LCR XLRs connecting my SSP to my LCR EXOs. May get some time tomorrow.

Again, for the review.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    @clipdat - I’m very grateful you started this thread. I recommend anyone that had not entered the foray of upscale XLRs should give these try.

While listening to the Sheffield Drum record I hear longer decay on cymbals. They’re cleaner too. I catch nuances from the first track’s kick drum I’ve never heard before.

That’s all for now.
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Hah, how long are they? I was using all super short lengths for my tests, but I don't think length would negatively affect the sound, especially with XLRs, would it?
    If your electronics use genuine balanced circuitry, the length should not matter one iota.

Before the advent of digital mixing boards, they depended upon balanced (XLR) connections running 100’s of feet w/little if any loss.

I’m curious: maybe one day, using say the Monoprice premier cables, you could try swapping 3 footers w/100 or 200 footers. If the samples use the same cable & connectors, they should sound the same, no? Though you’d be burdened w/what to do w/the excess, keeping it away from power, etc.

Regardless I’m very grateful for your testing efforts as my recent cable* purchases* reflect the same that have taken my system up a notch or two.
    *future too

Big thanks. Tony
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    Q? MP has recently come out w/a Monolith XLR->XLR.
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33837&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PMax:+Smart+Shopping+-+Monoprice+-+Cables&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&hsa_acc=6614305189&hsa_cam=17490724715&hsa_grp=&hsa_ad=&hsa_src=x&hsa_tgt=&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD_Thz6FqeHNgtaJkGYX6UciwbjMg&gclid=CjwKCAiA4smsBhAEEiwAO6DEja_9V8OZntBcXZcVtMa6Qm5039BbAiOC4xP0xnzl5x_kB-2rcW8b3hoC5QUQAvD_BwE

They have received favorable reviews. The Monolith subs have made their mark. I’d expect these would follow compared to the Premiers. Thoughts?
    Side note: I’ll display my engineering ignorance here that I noticed the conductors are much smaller compared to the Premier’s 16 ga. That matters little for home or studio I’m sure but would they hold up under riggers of frequent setups & tear downs.

System update: since my last post on this thread, I’ve swapped in more of those bargain MP Premier XLR->XLR* &, where the receiving connector demanded, XLR->MRCA.
    NO regrets😋. I’ve also done the same* in a few places in my DJ setup as the existing Seismics were showing their age.

Thanks for reading this far.

Happy 2024
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    The Monoprice Monolith XLRs aren't new, I tried and returned them back in 2019. I wasn't satisfied with the build quality whatsoever for the price.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,546
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    The Monoprice Monolith XLRs aren't new, I tried and returned them back in 2019. I wasn't satisfied with the build quality whatsoever for the price.

Schiit , i literally found this thread looking for info on the Monolith XLR. Read through about 3.pages then scrolled to the end. That last post would have saved me 20 min of reading 😂.

Anyways I'm looking for a sub $100.00 pair of XLR to go between a Marantz UD7007 and a Schiit Lokius Eq.

Used or new. IDC.

Was a great review anyways. Enjoyed reading it.

Thanks!