I need direction with my set up.

I am new to CP and love it. I have SDA2B's i'm in the process of resurrecting. So far i have replaced the grill covers. I found grill logo's on eBay for $10 each (score!). I have replaced the tweeters with 194's. I am waiting on 4x MW 6511's. I also bought a blade/blade IC from Polk.

I decided to leave the cross over as is until I fire them up. In the interim I have come up with 100 questions and ideas. I think this may be the sickness setting in...

My intention has been to build a kick **** 2 channel system. A friend in the neighborhood had some equipment: B&K Pro 10 Pre Amp, Adcom GFA-535ii and a Velodyne 15" subwoofer with the servo unit.

I have a sony 300 CD Changer (CDP-CX355) and I bought a bluetooth device on Amazon to stream music. I run this bluetooth receiver through the DAP just because. It doesnt sound the best so I am sure there must be a better way to do it.

I spoke with Polk about the Adcom GFA-535ii and he thought this would be an excellent amp for these speakers. I was surprised as I thought i needed at least 200 wpc to make these sing. I'll know Wednesday when I receive the 4x MW6511 although I am suspicious there wont be enough power pushing them.

I've considered a couple of other amps: Parasound 1500a (impossible to find). I am very interested in Glendogs Adcom 5802 with matching preamp- and its in my budget. Of course then I noticed those SDA SRS 2.3tl's in Denver.... I have friends in Denver... theres another 1250... BACK TO THE MATTER AT HAND.

I don't know that I need the Velodyne but I sure had fun re foaming it. It sounds spectacular btw... Interesting issue, when i turn off the Velodyne the system lowers in volume...

Any recommendations on this build? What do I do for a dreadnaught? I sincerely appreciate your advice.
any recommendations on resurfacing the speaker cabinets? can they be painted?

Here are some pictures:
ln2gmcz1jrtf.jpg
hvlc9ncwo4rg.jpg
b5a9fku69gbk.jpg
7xy5ccbrxm6x.jpg

I want to go all in....

Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3 TL
Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
Carver M 1.0 MK2 Opt 2 x2
Carver CT Seven Preamp
Bluesound Node 2i

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    SDA 2B's take one MW6503 and one MW6511 per cabinet, so not sure why you bought four MW6511's.

The cabinet covering is vinyl, not something you want to paint.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jbail2011
    jbail2011 Posts: 102
    edited May 2019
    The folks at Polk said the 6511's were my only option and they would be fine... Not so?
    F1nut wrote: »
    SDA 2B's take one MW6503 and one MW6511 per cabinet, so not sure why you bought four MW6511's.

Noted on not painting the vinyl. Is there a fix?
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Also, dreadnought is not an option for blade/blade speakers.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Also, dreadnought is not an option for blade/blade speakers.
  • F1nut
    MW 6503 - 1.82 5.24 N 3.55 E - 3N/M 6.54 Ohms 29 Hertz

MW 6511 - 1.405 4.34 N 3.496 E - 3N/M 3.13 Ohms 29 Hertz

Other than the 6503 is 6.5 ohms and the 6511 is 3 ohms they are close, but 3.5 ohms is quite a difference. You should be able to find used 6503's on eBay.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Get a search going on ebay for the 6503's and hang onto the extra 6511's. Be sure to carefully cut the excess rubber around the screw holes. You do not want any under or pushed up against a screw. It will cause the rubber to crack and come away from the frame. Look at the old drivers and follow suit.
  • jbail2011
    MW 6503 - 1.82 5.24 N 3.55 E - 3N/M 6.54 Ohms 29 Hertz

MW 6511 - 1.405 4.34 N 3.496 E - 3N/M 3.13 Ohms 29 Hertz

Other than the 6503 is 6.5 ohms and the 6511 is 3 ohms they are close, but 3.5 ohms is quite a difference. You should be able to find used 6503's on eBay.

Thank you I will hunt them down.
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    edited May 2019

I'm seeing that they take MV6503 or MV6510...

But the real question is what model 2B's came with a blade to blade ..?
  • F1nut
    ddog wrote: »

Nope, MW6511 and MW6503.

Transitional 2B's where blade/blade.

President of Club Polk

• ddog
    10-4.. I don't have those on my list of ventage SDA's.
    That's why I asked.

Thanks
  • jbail2011
    I am feeling hopeless concerning the MW6503's. they are no where to be found. I spoke with someone about repairing the ones I have and apparently that cant happen either. He did say I can adjust the crossover to compensate for the impedance difference but that is WAY past my pay grade... What to do...
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • ddog
    jbail2011 wrote: »
    I am feeling hopeless concerning the MW6503's. they are no where to be found. I spoke with someone about repairing the ones I have and apparently that cant happen either. He did say I can adjust the crossover to compensate for the impedance difference but that is WAY past my pay grade... What to do...

Hang in there. They pop up all the time.
    I bought two a couple of weeks ago off Ebay. At that time there was multiple listings.

I'm sure they will be back up in a week or so.
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2019

All SDA2b used 1 MMW6503 and 1 6511
    SDA1c used 6510's and 6511's this might be where you're confused OR maybe the SDA2a which used all MW6510 and was a 4ohm speaker and dropped into the lower 3 ohm range.

Relax don't be in a rush 6503's come up often on the auction sight. sometimes when it rains it pours MW6503 other time they are scarce for a few months.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

SDA1c used 6510's and 6511's this might be where you're confused OR maybe the SDA2a which used all MW6510 and was a 4ohm speaker and dropped into the lower 3 ohm range.

Relax don't be in a rush 6503's come up often on the auction sight. sometimes when it rains it pours MW6503 other time they are scarce for a few months.

In that class of SDA's they are worth the wait
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited May 2019
    I have to check my stash as I may have 1 extra..but I'm sure not that I have 2 6503's extra...

Jessie, correct me if I am wrong but, does my CRS+'s which are TL'ed thanks to Dave Shirley use the same exact same Crossover? but then the SDA2B's become 4.1TL's also when I use the same crossover in them? and they are now 4 ohms speakers? And now need the better tweeters 198's?

2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • pitdogg2
    voltz wrote: »
    I have to check my stash as I may have 1 extra..but I'm sure not that I have 2 6503's extra...

Jessie, correct me if I am wrong but, does my CRS+'s which are TL'ed thanks to Dave Shirley use the same exact same Crossover? but then the SDA2B's become 4.1TL's also when I use the same crossover in them? and they are now 4 ohms speakers? And now need the better tweeters 198's?

I do not think they become 4ohm speakers with the 4.1tl mode, just use the RD-0198 tweeter because you add a cap to be able to use that tweeter. Now you could get the ohms to drop if you did all new inductors I believe.
  • voltz
    edited May 2019
    My new Crossovers use the Ersa Super Q's inductors so maybe that is why?

which Dave knows how to lower to the correct amount. as in the other thread. 16 something I think>>>

dave said: The Erse will have to be unwound to 16mH
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Yes upgrading the sub bass inductors drops the impedance to 4 ohm. I upgraded my crossovers a year or two ago and remember my conversation with Dave about it. At the time my current amp wouldn't be able to handle that, my Adcom can so I have been on the fence about buying some Super Q's. Heard it makes a big difference with bass quality and quantity.

Re. the OP's struggles. Don't fret, the 6503 isn't that hard to find, they will come up. Maybe even check local Craig's list ads, some people don't want to ship and lose money on the parts so they go local only. Speakers are worth the wait and effort to get them up and running.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • F1nut
    edited May 2019

Yes, the exact same crossover. The CRS+ becomes the 4.1TL, and the 2B becomes the 2BTL with the proper crossover upgrade and the RD0198 tweeter.

Ivan answered the rest.

No i in my name, thank you. B)

President of Club Polk

• voltz
    edited May 2019
    dang it Jesse! forgive me, as My fiancee cussed me out enough cause I wrote Andy instead of Andie...she said Andy is for a guy and Andie is a women..the I is for the Lady's not the Men! So my bad!! I am a stupid Kan-**** dude LOL :p

With a memory about his long .... :p

but are they 4 ohm because of the Ersa Super Q inductor?

LOL I think Ivan solved that problem about the 4 ohm for the both of us LOL!!

• F1nut
    All good bro.

President of Club Polk

• jbail2011

One would be great as I have 1 dead and 1 not. Please LMK
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • jbail2011
    Can anyone address the amp? Any feedback on the Adcom GFS-535ii?
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • ddog
    edited May 2019
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Regarding the drivers, I think I was reading it right...

uxdr79vmtaqy.jpg
  • F1nut
    edited May 2019
    Yep, one MW6503 and one MW6511. Not sure why there is a MW6510 listed as a possible driver because they didn't come with that driver.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    Interesting looks like I should have paid more attention to that part of Tony's site.
    It do appear'ith so :D
  • ddog
    edited May 2019
    Because if this is right and the MV6510 will work... there's a good number of them for sale on Ebay right now.
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2019
    They're close.

I've never seen them in SDA2b myself, don't mean it didn't happen. MW6510 may be on eBay right now but they can be just as scarce. Look closely at the mw6510 surrounds as one seller had one listed that looked like it had small holes.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I had the SDA 2B, and the d a m n side panels warped off. Irritated me enough to try PSB Synchrony One, which are now my HT rear speakers.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    Because if this is right and the MV6510 will work... there's a good number of them for sale on Ebay right now.

There is no "V" in any vintage Polk driver model and no 2B ever came from the factory with the MW6510.

President of Club Polk