Exploring "professional" XLRs and RCAs

2»

Comments

• audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 1,438
    Tony M wrote: »
    Do you guys and gals believe in the directional style cables? YES

Have any of you reversed the cable's direction the arrows point towards on those type of cables JUST to see if the sound changes? YES

When I first got my Wireworld Mini-Eclipse' I was doing A/B comparisons and inadvertently got one swapped the wrong way and the first thing I noticed was a shift off center. There is a significant amount of research on speaker cables done by many companies for decades. Gotta be some benefit going on there somewhere...
    Home System:
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    1000 Va Dreadnought- w/ WireWorld Mini-Eclipse cables
    WireWorld Mini-Eclipse 7 speaker cables
    WireWorld Silver Eclipse IC's
    Cambridge Audio Azur 851N - DAC/Streamer
    In The Market For A New Pre...
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    BLE-Design 16mm Power Cables
    Denon DVD 2900

Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
    BluDenso - Bluetooth receiver/DAC
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,107
    You might want to also look at DH labs air matrix xlr on the used market. I have seen them go for 90-150.
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,279
    Thanks for the tip. Not planning on purchasing any other cables at the moment, but this is not the first time I've heard good things about DH Labs cables.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 23,556
    The Air Matrix, IMO is on the best out there.
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,705
    I’m very happy with my Colorado’s. They are not entry level however but if you can find for $400 or less, grab some!
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
  • Tbone289Tbone289 Posts: 673
    edited May 15
    I build my own directional ICs out of Mogami Neglex 2534 and Neutrik gold XLRs or Neutrik gold RCAs for SE connections, and they sound great to me. This is a very inexpensive route to go with high quality components if you have any soldering skills. It's also a great way to try out different components without emptying your pockets.
    2.1: S/PDIF>Schiit Gungnir MB>Creek Evolution 100a or Yaqin MC-10L>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2
    5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,578
    Tbone289 wrote: »
    I build my own directional ICs out of Mogami Neglex 2534 and Neutrik gold XLRs or Neutrik gold RCAs for SE connections, and they sound great to me. This is a very inexpensive route to go with high quality components if you have any soldering skills. It's also a great way to try out different components without emptying your pockets.

FWIW I've recently done this as well (albeit, at least so far, with a cheaper, shielded Mogami cable) :)

PS @Tbone289, quick -- post something else; that was apparently your 666th post, and that's scary! ;)

176nmhtpbkft.png

• tophatjohnnytophatjohnny Posts: 2,704
    Tried a lot of top flight cables and found the Nordost Frey 2 rca's to work best for my ears.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
    Tried a lot of top flight cables and found the Nordost Frey 2 rca's to work best for my ears.

Over $1k for a .6m pair, I would hope so! ;)
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,266
    What is a ‘professional’ cable? Unfortunately, because it is a limited market, and good cables are handmade, good cables will be ‘expensive’ compared to cheap, mass produced cables. Basic economics.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
    BlueFox wrote: »
    What is a ‘professional’ cable?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_audio
    So, that has zero to do with home stereos.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
    You asked what a "professional" cable was. I answered succinctly.
    :)
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,578
    These guys sell professional cables -- and I've bought a bunch from them (XLRs mostly).

https://www.markertek.com/
    I've finished my listening tests and notes for the 4 XLR cables! Now to collect my thoughts and write up a coherent shootout review!

Special thanks to my friend @joecoulson for providing the AQ Red River XLRs for this review, I sincerely appreciate it.
    edited June 5
    Tonight I started the RCA portion of my listening tests, with the Kopul RCAs to connect my CXN v2 to the pre: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1023115-REG/kopul_src_4003_stereo_rca_cable_3.html

0bj96kdk4kgj.jpg

First impressions are good, very good.