• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Wish you guys and gals could smell these vines! :p
    hp7bz7r4nbr1.png
    p6chq878oget.png
    pzb9upq666yg.png
    cu0bx9tyyo1v.png
    euyxbl9lv4x5.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I can! The aromatic flowers, sunshine in my face as I close my eyes facing the sun, gentle breeze, salty air, birds chirping going about their business, ahhhh.

Wake up! It's Michigan! 53 degrees and raining! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    2e31qvaruddh.jpeg

Right now. 85deg on Lanier.
  • verb
    Joe my man you gotta post some pics of your boat! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • joecoulson
    I actually belong to a boat club - which is why you sometimes see me on bow-riders or sometimes (like tonight) on a pontoon.
    The marina is 5 mins from the house and all we do is show up, jump on, have fun, bring it back and walk off the dock. for us, it's perfect, no winterizing, maintenance, storage fees or even having to gas the thing up!

• verb
    BlueFox wrote: »
    No need to be jealous. Time flies. Soon you will be 70 also. :)

This morning I felt like it! :smile:
  • joecoulson
    Nice night for pig shots on the egg. Mmm mmmmm

mfb4qakc614i.jpeg
  • verb
    That looks fabulous! I'm coming over! :smile:
  • joecoulson
    Dave you and Maria are welcome in my home anytime brother.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,637
    Tired of waiting for spring. Headed to Mexico Saturday ...
  • Tony M
    edited May 2019
    hrq1bcb32tdq.png
    wn2a5c1vd4w9.png
    wrifrkqftiuf.png
    replacing mulch and the weed block that's underneath is a bi**h in 80*+ heat. Thank God the Mrs. bagged up the old mulch for me.
    There were 100s of BETONY root pods under the weed block and a bunch on top too. It's been years since I replaced the weed block material. I read it's almost impossible to get rid of BETONY unless you dig up these root pods. The field in the back is full of hundreds of BETONY plant flowers. :s
    h6cggs6rjttc.png

BETONY root pods and flowers from the web. >:) Very invasive weed. You can pick the weed BUT the root pod stays to multiply and bloom again. I read they don't even know how this weed reproduces!!! DANG.We can go to far reaches of the Universe but don't know a good way to rid our gardens and lawns of this invader weed? Crazy! :#
    6bajux501rql.png
    xt1nb0vycj39.png

• verb
    Interesting Tony. Is that native to your part of the country? Never seem those here in Michigan.
  • Tony M
    edited May 2019
    They started in Florida. My wife told me where they originally came from before Florida. It's on the web I'm sure.

It's thought these Betony tubers traveled in dug-up plants in years past and have spread up to North Carolina and West to Texas for now. :#

I don't think the tubers can take freezing for very long periods. I'll re-check that though.

If you look closely at your yard, there is a good chance that you will find a plant that, depending on who you ask, is considered either a native wildflower or a weed and there are more than a few species that fit this description. If, upon even closer inspection, you find a plant with root tubers that resemble egg casings or even a rattlesnake’s rattle, you’ve stumbled upon Florida Betony.

Stachys floridana is a perennial broadleaf commonly referred to as rattlesnake weed due to it’s fleshy, white, segmented underground tubers. The plant has an erect stem with leaves that are opposite, shovel-shaped and coarsely serrated. The plant structure is very similar to mint. Flowers, emerging in late spring, are pinkish-purple in color. These inflorescences will also produce fruit, consisting of four nutlets. However, reproduction of the plant and it’s propensity to spread through lawns and gardens primarily occurs through dense root tuber development. Florida Betony’s growing range was originally confined to the state of Florida, but the commercial nursery trade played a major hand in dispersing the plant across the Southeast in the mid-1900’s. It can now be found as far west as Texas and as far north as North Carolina.

Figure 2: Tubers of the Florida Betony. Credit: Jill Bebee, UF/IFAS Gulf County Master Gardener.It can now be found as far west as Texas and as far north as North Carolina.
    This time of year is when Florida Betony thrives. The moderate temperatures of fall and spring are the prime growing periods for Betony. In the heat of the summer, the above-ground structure of the plant will struggle and often disappear completely, only to reemerge in the fall. As a lawn weed, managing tuber development is key to controlling this plant. Applying herbicide to the leaves and stalk may seem at first to have conquered the weed. However, in most cases the tuber will simply regenerate. Glyphosate (Roundup) can be used effectively for control in ornamental plant beds where no turf is present. Be careful when spraying herbicides around trees, shrubs and other desirable plants as any foliar contact will cause phytotoxicity. If you have an infestation of Florida Betony in your turfed areas, there are a few options for control. Regular applications of three way broadleaf herbicides, such as mixtures of 2-4D, Dicamba and Mecoprop, are effective at suppressing this pesky plant. For more information and options, please contact your local county extension office or see the supporting information links below. Always refer to the product label for specific uses, precautions and application rates when using any herbicide.
    Supporting information for this article can be found in the following the UF/IFAS EDIS publication, “Florida Betony Biology and Management in Turf” by J. Bryan Unruh, Ramon G. Leon, and Darcy E. P. Telenko: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/EP/EP38800.pdf
  • joecoulson
    edited May 2019
  • verb
    Mmmm licking my lips Joe! :smile:
  • joecoulson
    Look at these!!!
    Jalepeno cheddar!!

4x8ldjsmx2tx.jpeg
  • Tony M
    They are just now starting to drop old flowers. One lone bumble bee floating around the back vine. Seriously...they still smell beautiful. Just took these pics.
    xlrtp0tc4zgj.png
    c0eg5tpclbih.png
    48v8vucuk9lc.png
    wy1irqbhfpti.png

Nancy's "sport" has a new bloom on it. It's still trying to hang on! :)
    cc67kfxp57wq.png
    eiawg99fa88f.png
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,854
    joecoulson wrote: »
    xjm50eh3wz2f.jpeg

mye3k37d0z41.jpeg

Mmm green eggs and ham!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    ^^^ is that really poorly executed spam or...?

PS pretty sure that 26 degrees is Celsius (pretty nice, actually).

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,699
    BTW, the Florida Betony is a type of mint. The roots are edible and it is native to Florida. Cultivation has spread it's range across the the southern U.S. It doesn't like frost and while it can grow in summer months, the tuber root system doesn't reach very deep so any place that gets a frost and stays cold for an extended time tends to kill off any Stachys floridana trying to take hold.

It spreads via seeds which are very small and light and seed distribution is done readily from it's dehiscent schizocarp type seed pods. The pods won't necessarily eject the seeds but with seeds actually being about a millimeter in size, they are readily distributed the same way dust would be by wind or other mechanical method like getting stuck to pet fur or on shoes or pant legs. It's an "opportunistic seeder" and readily grows is soft, cultivated/disturbed soil. Cultivation of a fallowed field that had Stachys floridana in it can also further distribute the plant through ejected seeds and disturbed tubers. However, it can also grow via rhizomes both in the soil as spurs off the tuber but also from a disturbed tuber that was transported from one area to another by animal or other human means.

Because of the rhizome capability, even the smallest section of viable root can spawn a whole new colony of plant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stachys_floridana
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!