Audio-Technica AT-VM95SH

2»

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2019
    msg wrote: »
    I don't have any experience with this one, but have been curious about the microline and Shibata stylus shapes.

I thought this was a pretty good article over on Soundsmith that someone referred me to. Rich, I think.
    https://www.sound-smith.com/articles/stylus-shape-information

Since a Shibata gets deeper and offers a greater groove contact area, should make for greater resolution and detail?

I've been using the Denon 103R that was modified by the Soundsmith. Peter's mod included a ruby cantilever and a diamond contour contact stylus as described in the sound-smith link. Here are a few pics of my Zu Denon 103R that has been nuded and potted in an aluminum headshell with the SoundSmith mods:

x0eblui1ilze.jpg
    o3iuki14qk4e.jpg
    sunbhkok7pra.jpg

Carl

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    That's very pretty Carl :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    schwarcw wrote: »
    I don't have any experience with this one, but have been curious about the microline and Shibata stylus shapes.

I thought this was a pretty good article over on Soundsmith that someone referred me to. Rich, I think.
    https://www.sound-smith.com/articles/stylus-shape-information

Since a Shibata gets deeper and offers a greater groove contact area, should make for greater resolution and detail?

I've been using the Denon 103R that was modified by the Soundsmith. Peter's mod included a ruby cantilever and a diamond contour contact stylus as described in the sound-smith link. Here are a few pics of my Zu Denon 103R that has been nuded and potted in an aluminum headshell with the SoundSmith mods:

x0eblui1ilze.jpg
    o3iuki14qk4e.jpg
    sunbhkok7pra.jpg

Your photos? Nice photos!
    :)
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    I potted my own 103R...I gave it the midas touch. :)

uiawfdntgtn0.jpg

AT action shot...

y7d58v301mup.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    I have a ZU Dl-103 grade 2 prime with Soundsmith Ruby cantilever and level 3 stylus. Or at least I did till about 6 months ago. I broke the cantilever. Ouch! Eventually I'm going to send it back to Soundsmith for either level 1 or 2 stylus/cantilever replacement?

Honestly I'm leaning towards the level 1 with aluminum cantilever and eliptical stylus. Why going to the level 1 or 2 from the level 3? Honestly the level 3 stylus is so sensitive to setup it can make it difficult to just sit back and enjoy. I got tired of having to readjust tonearm height between different records with different thicknesses. I also have a 103D and 103S both with aluminum cantilever and elliptical stylii that I frankly enjoy listening to more. They are more forgiving while still offering way more detail than the stock 103 and 103R's conical stylii provide. It's kind of like the 3 bears thing at least to my ears anyways.

Nice AT-33PTG mk2 SComp! I have the mk1 PTG and like it a lot. I also have an AT-160ml, AT-15S, Signet TK-5ea and TK-10 (Signet was made by AT) and really enjoy all of them. AT carts offer a lot of bang for the buck.
  • schwarcw

Your photos?

Not my photos.

A friend of mine took the photos. I wanted a better closeup of the stylus but he did not have that ability with his lens. I need a USB microscope as I would like to see if there is any wear.
    Carl

• schwarcw
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    I have a ZU Dl-103 grade 2 prime with Soundsmith Ruby cantilever and level 3 stylus. Or at least I did till about 6 months ago. I broke the cantilever. Ouch! Eventually I'm going to send it back to Soundsmith for either level 1 or 2 stylus/cantilever replacement?

Hey Dawg!

I broke a cantilever too! Ouch is right LOL!

My experience has been the upgrade was a very good thing for me. YMMV. Do the thing that your ears are telling you.

What are you using as a step up transformer these days?

Carl

• Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited March 2019
    Ouch is right! Darn sad to hear that! I rarely use a SUT anymore. I still have Cinemag and Byerdynamic SUTs and use them occasionally. Most of the time I use my fully modded Jolida JD-9 and I'm very happy with it. It does have a little more noise than both SUTs, but I like the sound better overall with the modded JD-9.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Hey Drew, did you get this cart yet? Had any time to check it out?

Interesting on the preference in not using the SUT.
    I've not had the opportunity to try one.

Where's your volume knob in typical listening without the SUT?

For any phono, even MM, my volume knob is always significantly higher than with digital, no matter which phono preamp I'm using. I'd say 1 o'clock at least, on a typical preamp for what I would consider "loud".
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557

Have not had a chance to do anything with it yet, but I did inspect it and put it on the Technics cartridge alignment tool. I noticed that it's slightly off, the stylus will need to be moved forward to meet the end of the tool.

Interestingly, the Ortofon Concord style cartridge was slightly over the end of the alignment tool, just slightly, but still.

I will post some photos soon to illustrate this if I can.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Clipdat wrote: »

Have not had a chance to do anything with it yet, but I did inspect it and put it on the Technics cartridge alignment tool. I noticed that it's slightly off, the stylus will need to be moved forward to meet the end of the tool.

Interestingly, the Ortofon Concord style cartridge was slightly over the end of the alignment tool, just slightly, but still.

Maybe the alignment tool is off if both carts are over? Might want to check with a protractor. You can get them for free at vinylengine.com - all you have to do is create a free account, download and print out the protractor, and double check the size with a ruler to make sure the print out is accurate.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    edited April 2019
    Attached are two of the alignment protractor PDFs for printing. The 'stupid' one has Baerwald and Loefgren, and then Stevenson is the other file.

There is also a special Technics SL-1200 arc protractor available on VE. I'll attach that one as well shortly. Okay...added it and the instructions - two separate PDFs.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Clipdat wrote: »

I was never really sure whether the Technics alignment tool was very accurate. I think it sets the stylus depth, but then you're supposed to square up the cart visually in the headshell, right? Or are you supposed to align the stylus with the notch on the front of the tool?

That notch in the tool has always thrown me off. I think in the Technics documentation, they only spec to set the stylus at the end of the tool. I was never sure if I was supposed to also align the stylus with that notch. If I did, the cart body would not be squared in the headshell. I think I tried this on two different Technics alignment tools.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Maybe I described it wrong, the concorde was slightly over the end of the tool, the audio technica was slightly under.

So, I will try to adjust the AT. Like you said Scott I'm weary of this as you're just supposed to visually "square up" the stylus to the tool. Too much room for error.

I also inspected the stylus tip itself and the cantilever, and it seems like it's not "completely" flat at a 90 degree angle, but very very slightly off. I have read reviews of other people complaining about this with AT and other cartridges. Not sure what deviation from 90 is acceptable or if this matters. I could send it back and get another back the same or worse.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Go through the frustration of hand aligning the sucker. I promise you'll end up punching a wall, win win. >:)
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member