Fun weekend in the DFW audio world

Options
Yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting Marvin for the first time this weekend, and he was kind enough to invite my over to listen to music having never met me. Man did we have a good time! We listened to several CDs on his system, and loved getting to hear and see the Rosso Fiorentino Volterras in person. I fully understand why Skip has said the Volterras and Fiesole are special. The Volterras are psychically smaller than I was expecting, but they really have that same magic the Siennas have, along with some surprising bass abilities for their size. I have yet to hear a Rosso speaker that didn't impress me. Also very cool getting to hear an all tube set up, a tub pre/SS combo, and a SS integrated in the same system. It was great talking shop and drinking a few beers, but Marvin also told me a few stories from past years at LSAF. I can't wait to meet a few more people at LSAF! It honestly was a ton of fun, and made my day.

Today I had a few hours so I stopped by the Star Power Expo. It's great living in a city with access to so many options. Hearing things in person is honestly priceless. I played around in their main demo room for a bit, almost impulse purchased a refrigerator, got to see an LED home cinema wall, and the LG Wallpaper TV in person. I really hope the Wallpaper TV tech becomes the standard for televisions in the future. That thing was awesome.

For the audio end, it's not the best demo environment because there is so much going on but it's enough to get a flavor for things and possibly give them a "real" audition in the future. It also let's you cross things off the list, which is probably more valuable in this "expo" environment. I spent a few minutes with the Sennheiser HD 820s, which were very impressive. Sennheiser headphones have never been my favorite sound, but the balance on these was a great, I certainly preferred them to the HD 800. If I was in the market for new cans on this level, I would have these on the demo list.

On the speaker side of things, I'd heard most of the mainstream stuff but I was looking forward to hearing the new Mark Levison integrated amp and seeing what else they had on hand. I was hoping to hear the new JBL L100s because they seem to be polarizing, which makes me curious. No JBL around, but they did have the ML amp, and by total coincidence Marvin just happened to be in that room when I walked in, pleasant surprise! The ML integrated was paired up with the Revel F228Be. Although I didn't give it a serious listen, I heard enough to know it wasn't for me, especially not at their retail prices. Maybe I'd give it another shot in a better environment, but overall I was underwhelmed.

My most positive demo was with the Klipsch La Scalla II's set up in probably the worst demo environment ever. This rig was shoved in the corner of the tile/remodel area, with a single chair, one speaker up against a glass wall, in an open area. They paired the speakers with Marantz separates being fed with (I kid you not) an aux cord connected to the rep's cell phone. I only bring up how bad the set up/equipment matching was because this short demo was easily the most impressive part of the expo for me. The La Scallas are F'ing HUGE, but I've never heard a horn sound so sweet. These had full range and depth that really surprised me. I'm not in this price range, nor do I have the space for these speakers. But I would love to hear them in a proper demo environment.

Anyway, wanted to share. Loving the community here and hope to be able to meet a few more of ya'll in person down the road.
Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
Discogs

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    edited March 2019
    Options
    great meeting you again today, you missed out on the bow tie pasta with crawfish, think i ate about 4 servings and they a couple kegs of beer there with no one watching them :p

told the chef she needed cards with the recipe on them and she said, "i don't cook by recipe but by taste" smart a-- :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,518
    Options
    Did you just move down here?

I have an audio club.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Word is those Siena are available at a nearly unbelievable price...just sayin.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »

I have an audio club.
    I've lived in Dallas for a couple of years but it's been more recent that I've been jumping in deeper to the audio hobby. I'd love more details though!
    Discogs
  • displayname
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Word is those Siena are available at a nearly unbelievable price...just sayin.
    I've seen a few old listings at pricing that seemed unreal. Unfortunately at this stage of life unbelievable pricing on these is still out of reach currently, not to mention I don't have the space for them. Maybe if I packed up the city life and moved to the burbs, lol!

If I had the cashflow I'd jump on the Volterras and Norma separates Skip currently has listed. That combo would be insane for the price.
    Discogs
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Cool man, Marv's a great guy. This is what the Polk community is all about.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options

I have an audio club.
    I've lived in Dallas for a couple of years but it's been more recent that I've been jumping in deeper to the audio hobby. I'd love more details though!

When you’re ready, PM me. We meet every other month or so.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options

I have an audio club.
    I've lived in Dallas for a couple of years but it's been more recent that I've been jumping in deeper to the audio hobby. I'd love more details though! [/quote]

When you’re ready, PM me. We meet every other month or so.[/quote]

@displayname, I'd be all over this. Like white on rice, if I lived that close!! B)
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    @displayname, I'd be all over this. Like white on rice, if I lived that close!! B)

Better analogy would have been “Like shorts on Joey” :smiley:

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • displayname
    edited March 2019
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »

I'm all over it, don't you worry
    Discogs
  • marvda1
    edited March 2019
    Options
    i would like to thank willie for coming over today and helping me put together my solid steel audio rack, well, it was mostly him. :D that sucker has been in the box since last may. i've that new look now.eut36e9xq771.jpg

ihjp5xjofr1k.jpg
    z2w7cw5hqomr.jpg

again, thanks willie.

Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    That red/white wall color is hallucinating. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Need some of @DSkip acoustic cylinders to replace the laundry basket roxul ones you’ve got :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Ahh. Makes sense.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • marvda1
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    That red/white wall color is hallucinating. :)

wait till you get a few drinks in you :*
    Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1
    Options
    Need some of @DSkip acoustic cylinders to replace the laundry basket roxul ones you’ve got :smile:

skip knows where i'm at if the price is right B) (rubbing cheek) :D
    Puritan PSM156
  • displayname
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    i would like to thank willie for coming over today and helping me put together my solid steel audio rack, well, it was mostly him. :D that sucker has been in the box since last may. i've that new look now.eut36e9xq771.jpg

ihjp5xjofr1k.jpg
    z2w7cw5hqomr.jpg

again, thanks willie.
    Glad to help! It was fun hanging out. I do need a link to those slick sliders that work with the spikes. These VTI racks are going to work great, but I'm hesitant to put them in place before I get some sort of foot plates.
    Discogs
  • marvda1
    Options
    Puritan PSM156
  • displayname
    Options
    Thank you!
    Discogs
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I’ve been in that room before
  • displayname
    Options
    Man, it's been another fun week here. I got to attend an event at Skip's place, which included the newest version of Rosso's Fiesole, which are really exceptional for their size and price point. After everyone else left we hung out for awhile and mixed and matched a few more option's in Skip's main room, which is always fun. And it was great meeting a few other local guys, even if it was only briefly. Hopefully I'll see some familiar faces at LSAF.

Followed that up this weekend with the treat of hearing another excellent all tube system. This guy isn't on this forum (I don't think) but he had a killer system driving Quadrature DSP5a speakers. The chain was a Shanling CD player, Primaluna Dialogue preamp, and Quicksilver V4 amps. He had a CXN as well, but CD was the primary driver. This was a really killer combo with some insane bass impact. The sealed designed of the speakers allows the sound stage to have a ton of depth, even with them positioned right against the wall.

Just another successful story about the excellent audio community in the Dallas area. Looking forward to meeting others around town as things come up.
    Discogs