can i swap out my sda 2 tweeters (sl200) with peerless tweeters from monitor 4's ?

I have a pair of old monitor 4's with peerless tweeters. I hate the tweeters in my sda 2's. any issues with putting in the peerless?
M7's 1982 Peerless tweeters
M5's X2 (1981 Peerless tweeters, 1988 with upgraded tweeters)
M4's X2 both with Peerless tweeters
M5Jr with SL1500 (in the garage, they sound great)
M4.6 series2 X2 with upgraded tweeters
SDA 2 with upgraded tweeters

Best Answers

• wispolkboy
    wispolkboy Posts: 149
    Answer ✓
    Its not going to fit nor will it sound right. Use the rd0194. Thats the drop in replacement.

Thanks!
    M7's 1982 Peerless tweeters
    M5's X2 (1981 Peerless tweeters, 1988 with upgraded tweeters)
    M4's X2 both with Peerless tweeters
    M5Jr with SL1500 (in the garage, they sound great)
    M4.6 series2 X2 with upgraded tweeters
    SDA 2 with upgraded tweeters

Answers

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    I agree a Peerless tweeter will not fit in an SL-2000 cutout without some work but besides the size difference why do people say they will not sound right and have different specs? I have some monitor 10As with the Peerless and they have the exact same crossover as the monitor 10s that later came with the SL2000 (and they sound great)
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    delkal wrote: »
    I agree a Peerless tweeter will not fit in an SL-2000 cutout without some work but besides the size difference why do people say they will not sound right and have different specs? I have some monitor 10As with the Peerless and they have the exact same crossover as the monitor 10s that later came with the SL2000 (and they sound great)

Normally the resistor in series with the Peerless has a higher value than SL2000 equipped Monitors. We don't have full T/S parameters on any of Polk's vintage tweeters.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited February 2019

Normally the resistor in series with the Peerless has a higher value than SL2000 equipped Monitors. We don't have full T/S parameters on any of Polk's vintage tweeters.

Do you remember approximately how much higher resistance? A little or a lot? I assume everything else is the same so the speaker has the same crossover point.

I know there is a lot more involved. But if I had to pick one tweeter that could use a higher value resistor so it would play at a reduced volume..............It would definitely be the SL2000! :D

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850

Do you remember approximately how much higher resistance? A little or a lot? I assume everything else is the same so the speaker has the same crossover point.

I know there is a lot more involved. But if I had to pick one tweeter that could use a higher value resistor so it would play at a reduced volume..............It would definitely be the SL2000! :D

I checked on past projects, but don't have that info. The SL2000 has to be the most horrid tweeter Polk ever made. I know some people like it, but it's like fingernails on a chalk board to my ears
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/