Can a passive radiator go bad?

A friend of mine has a pair on Monitor 10, and he swears that one of the PRs is not working. He has pulled it, examined it, and it looks fine. He swapped the PRs between the cabinets and confirmed that one is not working. I haven't seen/heard it for myself, but can't really think of how one could go bad. Any suggestions of what to look for?
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    The spider has likely come unglued.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    Sure they can.
    Leaks/holes in the rubber surround
    Spider tears/rots or pulls away from the styrofoam.

So he switch passive's in the speakers did the affected passive follow the switch or was the same speaker the problem? Air leaks
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Yeah, I told him to check the spiders, and he said they look fine, but I'm not sure he knew exactly what to look for. I couldn't think of anything else that could go bad, so he'll need to check again...more carefully. Thanks
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    The PR followed the problem when switched, so needs to be examined more thoroughly.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Check the spider thoroughly for tears or glue separation, where it meets the bottom of the cone, and where it's glued to the basket frame. He'll have to manually move the cone gently in and out, and observe the spider.
    Do the same with the rubber surround. Check where it's glued to the cone, and where it's glued to the basket frame. If there's a fiber gasket glued on top where it's glued to the flange of the basket frame, It will be a bit more difficult to check.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/