Audioquest Demo

Ok,
I've been to tons of trainings and tons of shows over my years.Here is the Power guy demoing speaker cables. Trying to hear the subtle differences between all these cables on your computer even with headphones isn't a easy task BUT you can hear small differences.
From the Tin Lamp cord made decades ago with todays money, then moving onto Monster Cable who started the whole world of cables, like it or not we can thank Monster for all of our insane journey's of learning about cables. Check out the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaJhsp_PG90
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    I thought from the title you were starting a demo program.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,310
    Woohoo! Audioquest Demo with all Dan's cables! :D:D
    I disabled signatures.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    That is awful generous of Dan...
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited February 2019
    F1nut wrote: »
    If the forum wanted a demo program with audioquest I could provide that. I have plenty.
    Dan
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    mantis wrote: »
    If the forum wanted a demo program with audioquest I could provide that. I have plenty.

We love demo programs! Haven’t had one in awhile. And gives cable naysayers a chance to try out some real cables! I say go for it!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    rooftop59 wrote: »

We love demo programs! Haven’t had one in awhile. And gives cable naysayers a chance to try out some real cables! I say go for it!
    Ok, I'll put something together that makes sense and I'll start a new thread about it so people can sign up.

Dan
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    Actually, at least for the mass market, the boutique cable thing started, as best I can tell and remember with Polk Audio Soundwire/SoundCable/CobraCable and Discwasher Gold-ens ("interconnects").

grtn5gruwpj9.png
    August 1977 Audio magazine

smii7k1iuq3w.png
    December 1976 High Fidelity magazine

From the archives at www.americanradiohistory.com
    (of course!)

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited February 2019
    Is the microphone used to record the video even capable of a high enough recording resolution to effectively demonstrate the differences between those speaker cables?
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Ha...I've got one of those Mayware Formula 4 tonearms:
    sde7pln4hnrc.jpg
    Unipivot!
    avk6ze24ilj8.jpg
    Sorry for the interruption.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited February 2019
    rooftop59 wrote: »

I would love to try something new/different from AQ, for sure. But I wouldn't count on too many naysayers (who think it's a waste of money, time, or both) participating, much less giving their opinion. After all, skeptical poo piles will keep you safe and warm...
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    They all sounded the same to me... On my phone. Funny thing is, I still own those 6ga. Monsters. They sucked because not all amps would swallow such a large ahem, can I say this on here?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Hard for me to tell a difference on my phone but man this guy reminds me of William Shatner.

All joking aside I would like to hear a demo like this live.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • Clipdat
    Hard for me to tell a difference on my phone but man this guy reminds me of William Shatner.

I believe they are planning on doing this same demo at this year's Axpona:

"Garth will offer a brief history on speaker-cable development and technology, culminating with AudioQuest's sophisticated Ground-Noise Dissipation and ZERO Technologies for uncompressed high-current transfer. Listening comparisons to previous designs will allow guests to experience the difference for themselves."
  • Clipdat wrote: »
    Hard for me to tell a difference on my phone but man this guy reminds me of William Shatner.

I believe they are planning on doing this same demo at this year's Axpona:

"Garth will offer a brief history on speaker-cable development and technology, culminating with AudioQuest's sophisticated Ground-Noise Dissipation and ZERO Technologies for uncompressed high-current transfer. Listening comparisons to previous designs will allow guests to experience the difference for themselves."

I would really like to attend Axpona. I have yet to attend a show like this but don’t know I can make this one. I’m definitely not a naysayer on cables😀
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • Clipdat
    edited February 2019
    If you can only make one show a year, make it this one. Several Polkies are traveling long distances to come. I'm flying in from California, Joe is driving up from Georgia. I believe another member just mentioned possibly coming from Oregon.

Plus @DSkip from Audio Thesis will have his own room at the show, with $60k(?) MastersounD monoblocks.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    tg1427cynomv.png
    Audio September 1979.

FWIW, according to Wiki-p, Noel Lee founded Monster "in 1979".
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    "What if we got rid of the characteristic impedance entirely, well that's what we've done".

With headphones I can definitely hear a difference however I struggle with the explanation. Is AQ defining "Characteristic Impedance" as something other than the cable's overall impedance? Super conduction at room temperature?

Really wish companies would just do what is taking place in this video and say "here, listen for yourself and buy what your ears like" and skip trying to explain why my ears like what they're hearing.

Just inserted a set of MIT Shotgun's (finally) into my main system and my ears love it, no explanation of why required.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB