Mochamaster Coffee Maker

This was recently picked by America's Test Kitchen as the best drip coffee maker on the market. Well, actually, it was one of its siblings that has a stainless steel carafe instead of the glass carafe, but it is the same system. It's hand made in the Netherlands. I trusted their judgement and ordered one. It came in today. The first cup was fantastic! The Keurig is going to be sidelined for a while as I explore different coffees with this maker.

This evening, I tried a fresh roasted coffee from Rothrock Coffee Company in State Collge, PA. The beans were roasted two days ago.

n5bu76nl8n45.jpg

m8fp71qk8ydc.jpg

McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Nice. I've been preaching about the benefits of using a proper drip brewer like the Technivorm for years, but few people heed my advice and actually buy one.

What type of grinder are you using?
  • Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice. I've been preaching about the benefits of using a proper drip brewer like the Technivorm for years, but few people heed my advice and actually buy one.

What type of grinder are you using?

I had an old blade grinder from years ago, but was unable to find it. So I had the coffee roaster grind this batch for me. I'm researching new bur grinders but haven't decided on anything yet. Do you have a recommendation?
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    "you know good well I don't drink coffee,
    So you fill my cup full of sand
    And the frozen tea leaves on the bottom
    Sharing lipstick around the broken edge
    And my coat that you let your dog lay by the fire on
    And your cat he attacked me from his pill?box ledge
    And I thought you were my friend too
    Man, my shadow comes in line before you
    I'm finding out that it's eh not so easy
    Specially when your only friend
    Talks, looks, sees and feels like you,
    And you do the same just like him"
  • Clipdat
    Since you're not using it for espresso, something at/around this price range would be adequate I think: https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Grinder-Electronic-Continuously-Adjustable/dp/B0043095WW/
  • Clipdat wrote: »
    Since you're not using it for espresso, something at/around this price range would be adequate I think: https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Grinder-Electronic-Continuously-Adjustable/dp/B0043095WW/

That was one of the ones tested by ATK. They recommended it but with reservations. Here are the two that ATK (actually Cooks Illustrated) recommended over all the others they tested. Are you familiar with either of these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007F183LK/?tag=cioequippilot-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AR7SY/?tag=cioequippilot-20

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I have the second grinder (Capresso) and it works great (when we want a French press coffee)

That coffee machine looks pretty bad a55. Congrats.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    I have been using a Capresso burr grinder for a couple years now. Pretty happy with it. Nice Mocha Master.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    It needs tubes...
  • Clipdat
    mark090852 wrote: »
    That was one of the ones tested by ATK. They recommended it but with reservations. Here are the two that ATK (actually Cooks Illustrated) recommended over all the others they tested. Are you familiar with either of these?

Not familiar with those that you linked, but I'm sure either would be more than adequate.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    mark090852 wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007F183LK/?tag=cioequippilot-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AR7SY/?tag=cioequippilot-20

I have the Capresso. In the price range it was one of the best I could find. It's sits lonely in the corner of my kitchen due to my love for Nespresso. I've had, or currently have, numerous coffee pots and brewing systems. None have brought me the consistent satisfaction that my Nespresso has.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I feel the same way ^ about that Breville espresso machine.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I feel the same way...when I buy one. Something about another person making it for you that makes it taste better. :)

Over 300 for a drip machine is a bit steep if you ask me.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb wrote: »

I imagine somewhere on a coffee forum, someone said something like “$10,000 for a home theater amp is a bit steep, if you ask me”. 😆
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    tonyb wrote: »
    I feel the same way...when I buy one. Something about another person making it for you that makes it taste better. :)

$300 is nothing when my spouse and I both brew our own coffee every single day of the week, and as two working professionals we could easily just hit one of the several really good local coffee shops and drop $5-10 a day between the two of us. You do the math...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    afterburnt wrote: »
    "you know good well I don't drink coffee,
    So you fill my cup full of sand
    And the frozen tea leaves on the bottom
    Sharing lipstick around the broken edge
    And my coat that you let your dog lay by the fire on
    And your cat he attacked me from his pill?box ledge
    And I thought you were my friend too
    Man, my shadow comes in line before you
    I'm finding out that it's eh not so easy
    Specially when your only friend
    Talks, looks, sees and feels like you,
    And you do the same just like him"

Jimi didn't drink coffee? :):):)
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I like my Bodum French Press. I buy locally roasted coffee beans (I try to get them as close to their roast date as possible). I grind the beans myself with a Hario skerton manual grinder. Nothing against an auto drip setup. I find it cathartic to grind and brew my coffee every morning. I use an electric kettle to get the water boiling quickly, it’s way better than a kettle on the stove or a Pyrex measuring cup filled with water in the microwave. The investment is next to nothing considering how much I get out of it. Just my $0.02 :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • We have a Bodum French Press too, that we use on occasion. But some of the family doesn't like the amount of sediment that comes through that process, so we frequently have used a Keurig or a drip coffee maker at the same time. Now, for awhile, we're just going to experiment with the Mochamaster.
  • rooftop59
    halo wrote: »
    I like my Bodum French Press. I buy locally roasted coffee beans (I try to get them as close to their roast date as possible). I grind the beans myself with a Hario skerton manual grinder. Nothing against an auto drip setup. I find it cathartic to grind and brew my coffee every morning. I use an electric kettle to get the water boiling quickly, it’s way better than a kettle on the stove or a Pyrex measuring cup filled with water in the microwave. The investment is next to nothing considering how much I get out of it. Just my $0.02 :)

that sounds delicious man...when can I come over???

I love french press coffee as does my spouse, but with 4 minions and a dog I don't have time for a damn bowl of cereal in the morning much less french press :'(
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    rooftop59 wrote: »

I love french press coffee as does my spouse, but with 4 minions and a dog I don't have time for a damn bowl of cereal in the morning much less french press :'(

Whenever you find yourself in St. Louis, I'll be happy to share a cup of coffee and some good tunes with ya ;)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I have 3 French press pots, a couple of pour over set ups, a siphon pot, a 70 year old drip pot I got from my grandmother, one of the stovetop espresso machines (yuk), a Keurig (another yuk) a Bunn and a couple other odd pots, but I prefer my Nespresso. Use to get Kona coffee sent directly from, well, Kona. Nancy from Halama Farms would contact me and let me know when they were going to be roasting and within the week I would have a 5lb bag of fresh Kona coffee. Great coffee, but, still prefer my Nespresso.

A plug for Halama and their good coffee, it is surprisingly affordable Kona coffee.
    https://www.halamafarms.com/home.html

I have no affiliation, just a pleased past customer.
  • rooftop59
    halo wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Whenever you find yourself in St. Louis, I'll be happy to share a cup of coffee and some good tunes with ya ;)

Sounds good man! I have a conference that rotates through there every so often. Was there about 4 years ago. Really cool city. So maybe I’ll swing by in a couple years!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Thanks for the tip on the Kona , Kerry.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds