Shoot out 90s v 1Cs

warviper
warviper Posts: 585
edited May 2004 in Speakers
Ok Ive had my 1Cs now for about two weeks and time to let you guys know my thoughts on them versus my 90s.

:D Man Im a lucky soul. First off the 90s after the addition of the sunfire mkII sounded amazing. I had problems with the mkII and had to send it off for warranty work. I got a loner refrence siries sunfire it is rated about 200 watts per instead of the 325 that the MkII brings. The sdas had a tough hill to climb, I was not going to be swayed eaisiy. I was thinking for reasons that the sdas would fail, gimicky, and the fact that no other companies try anything like it now or in the past just added to my doubts.

It has never felt this good to be wrong. I had alwasy regarded sound as highs and lows. The 90s do have great highs and lows but the detail that the sdas bring to the table that the 90s just do not do. Maybe its the extra tweeter that the sdas have that adds that extra little something that the 90s do not have. There seems to be a depth that I have never heard before and the clarity that comes about is outstanding. It brings out an almost magical sense, no words to explain it but its there.

At first I was verry dissapointed in the sdas because I thought the bass was verry lacking. The problem that I encountered is the fact that you cannot set up the sdas like normal speakers. Mine are currently 27.5" from the side walls 65" apart from one another and a mere 3.5" from the back wall. The bass is still tight and not the least bit boomy and the soundstage is still there in all of its glory. If I had the availble room I would like to get it about another 10" from the side wall and about an additional 30" abart. I think that would greatly improve the sound stage and add to the experience.

If you have never had a chance to hear a pair of sdas then you have got to do yourself the favor and give them a chance before you even think about any other purchase new or used. The pair that I got used looked as if they were right out of the box and I could not believe that a pair of speakers this old could look this amazing. I was expecting them to be in ok condition not out of the box new looking.

Equipment used:

Pioneer 45a sacd player
Sunfire Refrence amp
Yammaha rx2300
Signalcable ICs
Monster speaker wires

Ill post additional coments after I get back my mkII.
Wish I was a polkologist then I could call my self Dr.warviper.
Post edited by warviper on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2004
    I once owned the SDA 2b's and felt they didn't have the tonal qualities I needed.Back then I felt the rt1000p's had a better overall sound.They where clearer and went deeper(due to the built in powered Driver)

I think it's an aquired sound as many love the SDA models.I however do not.They don't sound bad,just not what or better put how I like to hear music reproduced.

The LS90's I loved very much.I never owned them but a friend of mine did and I used to love sitting for hours listening to them.Great speakers.One of my personal favorites from the past along with the rt16's.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited May 2004
    I am not knocking the SDA's, but I think it is an aquired taste. I compared the SDA2b's to the RTA15tl's. I preferred the 15tl's by a large margin over the 2b's. The imaging was way better on the 15's. I guess it is just a matter of personal preference. That is what makes this hobby (passion) so great.
  • warviper
    edited May 2004
    Thanx for the input guys! How were the speakers set up I found that the sdas need alot more tweaking than most.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2004
    After 15 years of experience I think what you will find is that they sound somewhere in between **** and the best you have ever heard. 1" difference in placement can cause all the difference. They are very finiky (sp). I think if Mantis heard mine today I could not only turn him around but send him on a buying spree as well. (your always welcome here Dan)...

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited May 2004
    Warviper,

Congrats on the new SDA's and I'm glad you've got them dialed in now.

"There seems to be a depth that I have never heard before and the clarity that comes about is outstanding. It brings out an almost magical sense, no words to explain it, but it's there."

And that's what it's all about. I've yet to hear any other speaker that has that magical sense. Acquired taste...hmmmmm, in that case I feel sorry for anybody that hasn't acquired the taste.

F1
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited May 2004
    F1, I could definitely acquire a taste for your SDA's (I was blown away). I was just not that impressed with the 2b's.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited May 2004
    Warlocks,

I was trying to make a funny.....I hope you took it that way. Anyway, you know you're welcome here anytime.

F1
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• wire
    wire Posts: 32
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by mantis

I think it's an aquired sound as many love the SDA models.I however do not.They don't sound bad,just not what or better put how I like to hear music reproduced.

I listen to live music alot now , in Cuba and here in Cdn . If you truly want that live reproduction , you shouldnt listin to Polk .
    Maybe a pair of Klipsh Hersey (bar :))
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited May 2004
    Warlocks,

I think you'd be pleasently surprised with the difference in the upgrade from 2B's to 1C's. And on upwards for that matter...

Although SDA's have a large loyal following, not everyone is a fan.

That would make for a real boring world though wouldn't it? If we all had the same exact likes and dislikes that is....
  • warviper
    edited May 2004
    Thanx for the welcome. They sound fantastic and after I get some stands with spikes and my amp back from carver then I believe that they should sound even better.
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited May 2004
    You can improve the bass of the 2B's by installing spikes in the bases. Just be careful as to where you drill.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited May 2004
    Nice to see you floating around, Bob. How's ya bro doing?

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d