Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Tommy Bolin
    Rory Gallagher
    Roy Buchanan
    In that order
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    Jeff Beck
    Mark Knopfler
    Keith Richards
    Lee Ritenour
    Wes Montgomery
    Chet Atkins
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,035
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Tommy Bolin
    Rory Gallagher
    Roy Buchanan
    In that order

Very sad that all 3 died needlessly long before their time.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,076
    Hard to pick one. In no order: For rock; Hendrix, Beck, Bolin, Trower, Clapton, Satriani... For Blues; Albert King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Roy Buchannan, Elmore James...
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    mantis wrote: »
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    Larry Carlton, Jeff Beck and David Gilmour are at the top of my list. Gilmour isn't as flashy as the other two but he makes up for it in pure emotion (watch David Gilmour Live at Royal Albert Hall).

Can't disagree with that trio and I will add John Petrucci and Roy Clark. Can't leave out Page, Hendrix and Zappa.
    Hendrix was my original hero back on the 70's when I started to play. He played a White Strat like mine.

You mean you played a white Strat like his :smile:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Jerry Garcia
    David Gilmour
    Mark Knopfler
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    In no particular order:
    David Gilmour
    Alex Lifeson
    EVH
    SRV
    Steve Howe
    John Petrucci
    Tony Iommi
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Forgot Eric Johnson and Jimmy Page.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Living=Clapton. Deceased =Hendrix
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Clapton, Trucks, Lifeson, Knopfler.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,973
    Somewhat timely thread here since Harold Bradley passed away just last month. He is one of (if not ‘the most’) recorded guitarists of all time, due to all the session work he did back-in-the-day. He is from the era of Chet Atkins and Les Paul, and played on literally thousands of recordings as a session guitarist, mostly recorded here in Nashville. Naturally, that included a lot of country albums, but he also recorded with folk and rock artists like Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, and The Byrds. He did a few instrumental records of his own, one of which I randomly selected at a used record store, and is how I discovered him. It is called Misty Guitar, and AFAIK is only available on vinyl (mono and stereo). Another one of his records was Guitar for Lovers Only. My wife says it sounds like ‘drive-in movie background music’, but she doesn’t mean that in a negative way. His playing style is not flashy or innovative or technically impressive per se, but in the category of ‘favorite’, he is one of mine.

I don’t listen to much country music, which is probably considered sacrilegious considering I live in Nashville. But in that genre, I see Roy Clark and Chet Atkins have already been mentioned, but from a pure skill standpoint, I think Jerry Reed could be added to the list – he did a few collaborations with Chet. And from modern country artists, I think Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, and Vince Gill have to be considered. And if we include the lap steel guitar, my goodness, Jerry Douglas is tops…I do like me some AKUS.

Classical guitar: Julian Bream, John Williams, Christopher Parkening

Rock/blues: David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Steve Howe, Eddie Van Halen, Vivian Campbell, Dave Murray/Adrian Smith, Prince (he just kicks a$$), Muddy Waters

Ok, so I have a problem picking favorites :#
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    No love for John McLaughlin?
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited February 2019
    Jeff Beck & John Petrucci
    Randy/Maine
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    George Harrison is one of my favorites, along with David Gilmour.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    My favorite changes daily probably. Today is Derek Trucks day.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,297
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    ...Lindsey Buckingham. Holy cow he was unreal....

Completely agree - Lindsey is one of the most under-rated guitarists out there.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• deronb1
    Always liked Mike Campbell too.
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Rory Gallagher
    Frank Zappa
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Jimi Hendrix
    Jeff Beck
  • dragon1952
    jdjohn wrote: »

Rock/blues: David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Steve Howe, Eddie Van Halen, Vivian Campbell, Dave Murray/Adrian Smith, Prince (he just kicks a$$), Muddy Waters

Vivian Campbell....hmmm. That's a unique pick. He's been in my cousin's band Riverdogs for a few iterations.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Almost all the previously listed gents are phenomenal guitar players and most hold a place in my music heart but, i would like to add a few ( possibly repeat one or two) to the list. Truly some of my favorites!!
    In no particular order of gift or talent.
    Duane Allman
    Dickey Betts
    Steve Howe
    Jan Akkerman
    Robin Trower
    Jeff Beck
    Gary Moore
    Florian Opahle
    Steve Hackett
    I guess i don't have a true favorite
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,973

Vivian Campbell....hmmm. That's a unique pick. He's been in my cousin's band Riverdogs for a few iterations.
    I was a big Dio fan in my younger days when VC was in the band. His solos were some of my favorites to 'air guitar'.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,035
    Hmmm; A couple of Campbells mentioned with no mention of Glen Campbell? He was an amazing guitarist
  • dragon1952

I was a big Dio fan in my younger days when VC was in the band. His solos were some of my favorites to 'air guitar'.

Yeah, I guess they had quite the falling out. RJD evidently doesn't think much of Def Leppard :^ /
  • deronb1

Yeah, I guess they had quite the falling out. RJD evidently doesn't think much of Def Leppard :^ /

Which begs the classic joke, "What has seven arms and sucks?"...
  • dragon1952
    Hmmm; A couple of Campbells mentioned with no mention of Glen Campbell? He was an amazing guitarist

He definitely was. I used to watch his show as a teenager. Mason Williams and Roy Clark were regulars. He was an amazing drinker too!

mp2zdj2jsg2r.jpg
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,053
    Too many good guitarists to call out a favorite - depends on the style of music, the mood you're in etc.

That being said I am flabbergasted that having read this whole thread that I see no mention of Mr. Joe Walsh.

I also have a lot of this gentleman's music:

https://youtu.be/X4MEgqw4qMY
  • Dickey Betts
    MIck Taylor
    Tony Rice