Sub or not

Options
2»

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    That's a cool tip that I did not know. Thanks! My HSU came with a test disc, but the different tones are constant.

I've been there manually charting with test tones! Burst tones are where it's at...lol
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited February 2019
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I made 2 attempts in the last 12yrs to integrate an SVS sub in my 2 channel, neither one worked long term. Just didn't care for it.

I've had plenty of folks over here. Many are forum members. Either they aren't truthful with me, or the subs are integrated well and it really does sound good. I'm OK with truth and facts, so I go with the latter. For most music the subs don't contribute.

It required effort. Lots of trial and error. Fortunately I was able to dial the NHT 12" subs in with the adjustments provided. IF I got the two 15" subs, I would bet a Mini DSP or a sub with DSP built in would be needed.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I made 2 attempts in the last 12yrs to integrate an SVS sub in my 2 channel, neither one worked long term. Just didn't care for it.

They make great HT subs, music subs not so much.

On another note.....as for smaller drivers not being able to cover all the bases, simply not true.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @scompracer

I lied :wink: I think you need like 4x the number if subs. It sounded weak and anemic! :tongue:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • rburgess714
    Options
    Busy day with work today and just getting back to this thread. I appreciate the info and feedback. Seems the consensus is that regardless of how deep my towers dig a good musical sub if properly placed should improve my 2-channel listening.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
    Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    @scompracer

I lied :wink: I think you need like 4x the number if subs. It sounded weak and anemic! :tongue:

I just tossed everything out to the curb. Junk stuff!