PSW111 sounds

I have a 10 year old home stereo system which includes a PSW111 subwoofer. I purchased the system from Best Buy and the Geek Squad installed it. For the last six months or so, I have been hearing some noise from the PSW111 when everything else in the system has been turned off. The sound is noticeable from 10-15 feet away from the speaker and sounds sort of like a grandfather clock, although it is hard to describe. Today, I got a ladder to gain access to the subwoofer and when I tipped it in different directions I got different sounds. Any ideas what is causing this noise and how to repair it?

Comments

• FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 3,268
    lloydmarie wrote: »
    Today, I got a ladder to gain access to the subwoofer...

...wut???
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 22,601
    FestYboy wrote: »
    lloydmarie wrote: »
    Today, I got a ladder to gain access to the subwoofer...

...wut???

Right.....
    - Not Tom

Vr3Mods.com ///// Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,064
    edited February 12
    Okay ignoring the ladder, the amp is dying. Buy a new sub. It’s been 10 years. Sorry for your loss. Rip.
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Parasound HCA-1000A, PSB Imagine B, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • LOL. re the ladder, the woofer is in a cabinet that can't be reached without a ladder. That is why I haven't messed with it until now. Thanks rooftop59, guess I will have to bite the bullet.
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,064
    Sorry to be blunt, but its a $200 big box sub. It probably cost $50-75 max to make, but the cost to repair or replace the amp will be almost as much as the sub. 10 years is a LOT of use. You should be pleased honestly.
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Parasound HCA-1000A, PSB Imagine B, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch