2»

Comments

• ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    Ladies and gentlemen,

I give you the Schiit Two Holer

c3lzdjcc55eh.jpeg

This is a socket saver for lift above the chassis and a 6SN7 to 6J5 adapter.

The 6SN7 is a dual triode and the 6J5 a single triode of the prior generation.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    ZOMG, you drank the 6J5 Koolaid!

:open_mouth:
  • ALL212
    Options
    If one glowing ember is good two must be better!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I think I have -- a few -- 6J5s downstairs.
    Just sayin'...
  • ALL212
    Options
    Lots of black metal ones on the bay, not so many glass.

Let’s see... BH Crack kit goes on sale, I was planning a custom plate, I’ve built one with 6SN7 instead of 12AU7. Make one with 6J5’s?! Just need to add a hole and plan wiring.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Why not go for the gusto and use a pair of 27s?
    Or 56s or 76s...
    http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2014/02/tube-of-month-6sn7.html

05odnc542xyo.png

lts2cga08le0.png
  • ALL212
    Options
    27 and 56 would be rough, have to drop filament to 2.5v from 6.3v. Not sure if the tranny supplied could handle that. Now the 76...hmmm...already 6.3v filament. Need a couple of 5 pin sockets and real estate. Loose a tad gain...

Maybe I'll post that up on the BH forum and see what shakes out.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Yes, forgot about the filament voltage, derp.
    I was thinking pure-play DIY -- then you can just add another transformer (or two)!

:)
  • ALL212
    Options
    PB from Bottlehead thinks the 76 should work with a resistor change to get the plate current up.

DARN YOU!! Now I gotta rethink this...AGAIN!! :wink:

Drawback...Only 76's will work ever in this Crack... No going back (would have to replace the socket).
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    It would be neat if that thing rotated slowly. Does it? Can it?
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ALL212
    Options
    If that weren't silly enough - here's another stack...
    wumrcc80kwhw.jpg

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,426
    Options
    Holy... What the [bleep] is going on over there?!?
    I disabled signatures.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    It would be neat if that thing rotated slowly. Does it? Can it?

Make it spin!!

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Holy... What the [bleep] is going on over there?!?

Just Aaron spending too much time in the solder Flume....
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    It's an amplifier!
    It's a Jenga game!!

They should charge extra for that.

:)

• ALL212
    Options
    I didn't get the motorized version...sorry guys.

If I put the 76 tube adapters on top of the 6j5 adapters we'll really have a sight!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    better get the mirror ball option with it as well....
  • heiney9
    Options
    ALL212 wrote: »
    I didn't get the motorized version...sorry guys.

Well Schiit,..... it's still impressive!

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ALL212
    Options
    All joking aside - and with this bunch I know how futile that effort is!

If you're looking to roll some tubes in the 12AU7 line (and the other 12's as well but I'm not as familiar with them) try these adapters and go for completely different tubes.

12AU7 - same as 6AS7 but different pinout and socket. Get the adapter!
    6AS7 - 6J5's but single triode instead of dual but still in an octal socket. Get another adapter and 2 6J5's for each 6AS7
    76's - best leave this one alone. Pinout and some current differences.

They all come in from China and suzier.electronic is the one that I buy from.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    Have you noticed any sonic differences with all the tube rolling? I was under the impression that due to the way that Schiit chose to implement the tube buffer portion of this preamp, that tube rolling wouldn't really have much if any effect on the sound.
  • ALL212
    Options
    The Schiit Saga does use the tubes as a buffer. But not a half arsed buffer, it has full rail voltages so the tube is fully engaged when switched in. Some buffers are half arsed...

On the Saga you can switch between tubes and no tubes with a single button on the remote and I've been pushing that button a lot. I ran 1/2 dozen...10 different 6AS7's through it. There is a slight (one click) volume increase when going to tubes and that can cloud judgement.

But with a good 6AS7 (or the 6J5's) there is a definite soundstage and presence improvement. It's close to "won't really have much if any effect" but it does make a difference and a positive one. Call it subtle...
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • heiney9
    Options

If you're looking to roll some tubes in the 12AU7 line (and the other 12's as well but I'm not as familiar with them) try these adapters and go for completely different tubes.

6AS7 - 6J5's but single triode instead of dual but still in an octal socket. Get another adapter and 2 6J5's for each 6AS7

That's ALL I need is more TUBES....lol.

I will give it some thought and check the space under the hood of the Avant

IMG-20130423-00041.jpg

H9
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Cool, thanks for the insight!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »

That's ALL I need is more TUBES....lol.

I will give it some thought and check the space under the hood of the Avant

IMG-20130423-00041.jpg

H9
    Hoods are for wimps...

j6ih92c7i9q6.png
  • StimpyWan
    StimpyWan Posts: 51
    Options
    An older thread, but a good one.

I also modded my Schiit Saga preamp. I pulled the stock Wima caps and replaced them with Mundorf EVO Oils. They were extras, and fit perfectly in place. My Supremes and Supreme S/O caps were just too large. No dynamat on the relays. I thought about it, but the clicks don't bother me. My son hates it...! :p

After only a couple of hours of play time, WOW. A nice different. More expansive in all directions. Better micro detail, less blurring of musical passages. Multiple instruments, playing together, are now separate and distinct. A little bright in the treble, but hopefully that'll settle in, after more playing time. Well worth the change.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Stimpy

• carlsor
    carlsor Posts: 1
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I also modded my Schiit Saga 1.1 preamp. I replaced the MKP10 WIMA caps with Vcap Odams. Immediately more dynamic and musically flowing sound which only got more refined at about 300 hours of music play time. The biggest headache was getting all the white LED's to go into the holes in the faceplate.
    I also replaced the 6SN7 tube with two WWII 7193/2C22 "Mickey Mouse" tubes - WOW! Not going back to a 6SN7 here.
    For good measure I upgraded the fuse with an SR Blue blue.
    Saga preamp sounds better than the $2000-3000 Joule Electra and Muse vacuum tube preamps I owned earlier.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Nice job and welcome to the forum, stick around and stay a while.