2»

Comments

• whitemtntn
    Options
    That's very nice of you FestY
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    I've never opened up a pair of 4's before, but this pic doesn't look right. It appears someone has jammed a piece of PVC pipe in the port & pushed it all the way to the rear of the enclosure in an attempt to close it off. Don't ever recall seeing that type of foam in a pair of Polks either.

9htkpeh455i2.jpg
  • whitemtntn
    Options
    that's correct- there is PVC pipe in there. Both speakers have it and also that foam. This is my first experience with this model speaker as well so I don't know if this is all normal or not.
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 435
    edited February 2019
    Options
    The Monitor 4’s I have on my desk have the same white PVC port and they were stuffed with the higher density black eggcrate style foam. Both of my pairs of Monitor 4's have that foam. These are the only Polk cabinets I've encountered that don't utilize polyfill for damping.
    epkvymfa1z3z.jpeg
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • whitemtntn
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong-- It seems to me the greatness of these speakers is derived mostly from the clear sweet high-end from the Peerless tweeters. Will there really be that much of a discernible difference in tone between working MW6500's and say the Daytons?
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    I'd take up Festy on his gratious offer to fix your MW's. What do you have to lose?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    edited February 2019
    Options
    The Polk woofers of that era are unique -- very high compliance, and the plastic-coated paper cone is different than any others I've ever encountered.

FWIW, and for better or for worse, I would consider those to be very special drivers and as much a part of the sound of that era of Polk "monitors" as was the Peerless silk dome tweeter.

So -- I mean -- they're your loudspeakers, and you may certainly do as you please with them! :) But, were they mine, I would take any opportunity I could reasonably find to equip them with the proper Polk woofers. If someone offered to rehab the existing woofers for me, I'd certainly look into it.

Of course, I am not you. :|
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    whitemtntn wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong-- It seems to me the greatness of these speakers is derived mostly from the clear sweet high-end from the Peerless tweeters. Will there really be that much of a discernible difference in tone between working MW6500's and say the Daytons?

I tried the Daytons a couple years ago, the 4 and 8 ohm "Classic" 6.5" woofers with rubber surrounds. While they are well made, they don't compare well to the original Polk woofers sound or performance.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    From what I understand the 6500 is pretty fragile? Seems it will be difficult to find 2 good ones as old as all the used ones are?

Not anymore fragile than any of the other drivers. I have been very lucky buying used off eBay. That being said the mw6500 comes up often and the poof nothing for a month or so then they pop up again.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    edited February 2019
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    From what I understand the 6500 is pretty fragile? Seems it will be difficult to find 2 good ones as old as all the used ones are?

Not anymore fragile than any of the other drivers. I have been very lucky buying used off eBay. That being said the mw6500 comes up often and the poof nothing for a month or so then they pop up again.

As Pasteur said, "Chance favors the prepared mind."
    Well, that and maybe an eBAY "Saved Search" :)

I mean, heck, you can leave the Daytons in 'til you get a proper pair of woofers for 'em, you know? :)