Teaching Home Theater

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,057
Hello everyone,
I was tasked to train our new install team. 2 of the guys are not new to the field of Audio Video Install but our other Tech is new to our field but not new to the field per say. He came from a Alarm back ground of 20 years and is a great guy.
I was given 4 hours to put together a basic understanding Theater and Calibration coarse to appeal to a basically new beginner and 2 veterans along with sales, Management and Office personal. With our Engineer who knows Power point I put together a pretty good course that I felt would fit right in.
Now I have been training Installers on a more personal level in and out of the field one on one training to take them from a Beginner or Installer to a Lead Installer. Then once you reach Lead Installer I can take to to Mastery which is where the Art of sound and video come into play.
So today I presented my class with my material and I got really good response and hurt a few minds along the way with basically as some put it overload of information. I did cover Dolby Surround and Dolby Pro Logic I started a Dolby Digital and DTS and moved through the years up to todays Atmos system. I covered Speaker placement and how Subwoofer respond into a room. How using 2 subs or more can really help cover a wide range of seating. Along with why 80hz is the overall best crossover point to use and what reference levels mean from Theater to home 85- 75db. Along with how to understand what a properly Installed and calibrated system looks and sounds like and how do you figure out how to place a system into ones living space that may or may not be a proper space for a surround system. How to figure out Position 2 or 3 depending on the room. The biggest point I stressed is how the room is the most important component of the overall experience.
In my training I went over Calibration, well more of a basic entry level understanding of calibration as in 4 hours it's totally impossible to pass along over 20 years of Professional experience and 30 plus of hobby experience. We went over the basic setup manual of Setting crossover Distance and Level adjustments. How to use a Tape measure and or a Laser plus explaining what all the setting of a SPL meter are and how to properly use one.
What I found amazing is the sheer amount of knowledge one must posses to just be a Home Theater Installer. It's funny how you take for granted the amount of knowledge you acquire of decades of practice both professionally and as a hobbyist. I'm proud to say I passed along some great helpful knowledge in 4 hours to a mixed group of people including Salesman, Project managers and Office staff.

Basically If all else goes wrong I can see myself becoming a Certified Cedia Trainer. This might be my later years calling. Getting out of the field completely and passing along all my knowledge to the younger generation. What an honor Trainers must feel to pass along their knowledge. I've spend countless hours in trainings over the decades I've been doing this for a living and for the first time I really felt what it feels like to pass along knowledge in a classroom type environment.

Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    That’s very interesting and those guys are fortunate.
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Options
    Nice job man.
    It’s a hobby but an obsession sometimes. Sharing the knowledge you have must be rewarding for sure.
    I want the young ones to think outside the headphones and sound bars only camp.
    The payoff is seeing others get the whole picture of why we do it.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3