My speakers setup

mftohfamftohfa Posts: 17
edited January 31 in Speakers
Hey All,

Newbie here.Recently I moved into a new home where I was able to mount my tv and so began my upgrade itch. I started with monoprice 5.1 premium speakers which included a 200w sub, and 4 front and rear speakers. I also have the Polk T30 as my center.

Since the move, I upgraded my receiver to Onkyo 676. 7.1 ATMOS since the new house has some in ceiling speakers that was able to use. I also recently replaced my monoprice tiny fronts with Polk Signature S15's.

Now for the question:

I recently came across a deal from Adorama on the LSiM 704c. I pulled the trigger on it upgraded my center from T30 to LSiM 704c. I have only had it for a day but ran through calibration and everything but honestly I am not seeing a big difference nor am i blow away...almost sounds a little lower. What am I missing? Do i need time for it to break in?

Thanks for reading!
Ken

«1

Comments

  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,435
    Go into your receivers settings, speaker settings, and raise the center speaker level up a few notches.

    Chances are, your receiver is running out of juice, not the most powerful in a 7 channel setup. Also, make sure you have it hooked up properly, and the straps on the back connecting the top and bottom posts are secure.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

    Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

    Kitchen

    Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • WillowWillow Posts: 9,636
    tonyb wrote: »
    Go into your receivers settings, speaker settings, and raise the center speaker level up a few notches.

    Chances are, your receiver is running out of juice, not the most powerful in a 7 channel setup. Also, make sure you have it hooked up properly, and the straps on the back connecting the top and bottom posts are secure.

    and that you have the + to + and - to -
    2Ch- B&W 703, SVS PB10 NSD, Marantz NR1607, Parasound 1500a, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Yellow) with Acrylic platter, Pro-Ject phono pre, MIT AVT 2 speaker cables, MIT AVT 1 and AVT 2 ICs, XLO Jumpers, Signal Dig Coax, Signal Cable Magic Power Cables x3, Samsung 55JS7000, Harmony 1100, Sony BDP-S6200, Marantz DV-4200 (as Transport), Cambridge Audio DAC Magic100, Monster 3600MKII, Android Mi Box3 and Apple TV. - Pool /Gazebo Yamaha RX-A1010, Polk Patio 25x4, Rotel RDV 1045 (as CDP) MIT AVT3 ICs - Work - Spotify Premium or Neutron App to my FiiO Kunlun into my Grado SR125e

  • rpf65rpf65 Posts: 2,055
    Welcome.

    The first thing you should understand is the your center channel speaker is a different series than your front left and right speakers. One of the signature series centers would have been a better choice.

    The next thing to understand is that you want your speakers to compliment each other. You don’t want attention drawn to any specific speaker, especially the subwoofer or one of the front three. That’s what your calibration program is trying to achieve.

    Third is that that center channel speaker is using a lot more power, current, than any of the others in your front sound stage. I personally use a separate amplifier, 200 watts per channel, for my LSIM speakers. Many people will say that the LSIM series speakers need a lot of power, current, to really operate the way they were designed to. To me they sound completely different, much better, with an amp versus an AVR.

    When it comes to the speaker “sounding lower”. I suspect that your hearing the difference in the voicing, timbre, of the speaker. These signature and LSIM series are completely different designs. They use a different philosophy, if you will, to produce sound. So they sound completely different, even though they are made by the same company.

    If you suspect a problem, check the binding post connections in the back. Make sure the top and bottom posts still have the jumper in place and all the nuts are tight. At low volume, put you ear close to each driver, and listen for sound and distortion. If all that’s good, you can boost the volume from the speaker adjustment on your AVR.

    If your still not satisfied, look at the signature center channel speakers. It may be more agreeable to your ears.
  • mftohfamftohfa Posts: 17
    Willow wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    Go into your receivers settings, speaker settings, and raise the center speaker level up a few notches.

    Chances are, your receiver is running out of juice, not the most powerful in a 7 channel setup. Also, make sure you have it hooked up properly, and the straps on the back connecting the top and bottom posts are secure.

    and that you have the + to + and - to -

    Thanks for the advice guys! I have double and triple checked that the polarities are correct.

    Interestingly during calibration the receiver assigned a -1 to the center level. For whatever reason it thought it was louder then the other speakers. I set it back to 0.

    My receiver is rated at 100 watts per channel at 8 ohms. I know the center is rated at 20 - 200 but talking to Polk tech support they had said it should work fine at 100 Watts.

  • WillowWillow Posts: 9,636
    do you happen to have some sort of EQ set to on? usually this would help bring out the centre but who knows
    2Ch- B&W 703, SVS PB10 NSD, Marantz NR1607, Parasound 1500a, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Yellow) with Acrylic platter, Pro-Ject phono pre, MIT AVT 2 speaker cables, MIT AVT 1 and AVT 2 ICs, XLO Jumpers, Signal Dig Coax, Signal Cable Magic Power Cables x3, Samsung 55JS7000, Harmony 1100, Sony BDP-S6200, Marantz DV-4200 (as Transport), Cambridge Audio DAC Magic100, Monster 3600MKII, Android Mi Box3 and Apple TV. - Pool /Gazebo Yamaha RX-A1010, Polk Patio 25x4, Rotel RDV 1045 (as CDP) MIT AVT3 ICs - Work - Spotify Premium or Neutron App to my FiiO Kunlun into my Grado SR125e

  • mftohfamftohfa Posts: 17
    Willow wrote: »
    do you happen to have some sort of EQ set to on? usually this would help bring out the centre but who knows

    I have three different EQ presets I can configure on the receiver but I am not using them. I have only calibrated the speakers through the receiver.
  • mftohfamftohfa Posts: 17
    rpf65 wrote: »

    If you suspect a problem, check the binding post connections in the back. Make sure the top and bottom posts still have the jumper in place and all the nuts are tight. At low volume, put you ear close to each driver, and listen for sound and distortion. If all that’s good, you can boost the volume from the speaker adjustment on your AVR.

    If your still not satisfied, look at the signature center channel speakers. It may be more agreeable to your ears.


    So there are no top and bottom binding post on the 704c. Only one set. I have tried putting my ear to the speaker and everything sounds nice and crisp no distortion.

    I am curious to know if there is a way for me to measure the watts pushing out the receiver using a multimeter?

  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,676
    You're not understanding what you have been told. It's a $300.00 AVR, which means it is an entry level budget AVR, which means it's not all that. It is rated at 100wpc with only 2 channels driven. The more channels it drives means the wpc drop like a boulder because it doesn't have the power supply to maintain that kind of output.

    Your speakers are not matched either in basic design or voicing. The Signature series are going to be more foward sounding regardless of the AVR settings, hence your LSiM center is going to sound softer. You should return the LSiM and get one of the Signature centers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,435
    mftohfa wrote: »
    Willow wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    Go into your receivers settings, speaker settings, and raise the center speaker level up a few notches.

    Chances are, your receiver is running out of juice, not the most powerful in a 7 channel setup. Also, make sure you have it hooked up properly, and the straps on the back connecting the top and bottom posts are secure.

    and that you have the + to + and - to -


    My receiver is rated at 100 watts per channel at 8 ohms. I know the center is rated at 20 - 200 but talking to Polk tech support they had said it should work fine at 100 Watts.

    Your receiver is most likely rated at 100 watts...with 2 channels driven. By the time you add up to 7 speakers, that power rating will probably be around 30-40 watts.

    Like already stated too, it's the wrong center for what you have as the fronts, different voicing. That's most likely the difference in what your hearing. Turn that center channel level up past 0 if you want more from it, like +3.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

    Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

    Kitchen

    Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • mftohfamftohfa Posts: 17
    Ok will give that a shot or might just go with the S30 center. Thanks!
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 19,000
    Welcome Ken, I'm a 2-channel dinosaur, but there's plenty of HT pros around here.
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 2,085
    mftohfa wrote: »
    Ok will give that a shot or might just go with the S30 center. Thanks!

    Yes the S30 will serve you much better than the 704c. S30 doesn't need as much power and matches the S15. Maybe look at an S35 that you can wall mount under the TV.

    I'd send the 704 back and see if you can return the Onkyo too. Denon Marantz or Yamaha are much better.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

    Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk LsiM 705
    Center: Polk LSiM 704C
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

    Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

    Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc
    Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) Advent Prodigy (listening)
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Jimbo18Jimbo18 Posts: 2,161
    Welcome to the forum, Ken. If you were looking for help spending your money, you came to the right place. Oh, and for help with your setup too, of course. :)
    HT - Pio Elite SC-63, Nuance Spatial 3S, Spatial Cen S, FXi50 surrounds, Def Tech PF 15TL+, Belkin PF30, Samsung UBD-M7500, Roku Ultra, Furez 12-2.
    Bedroom - Sony STR DN850, Monitor 5jr+ Series2, CS400 center, Furez 10/2, Roku Ultra
  • mftohfamftohfa Posts: 17
    Thank you @Jimbo18! I see nothing is easy or simple when doing a setup. Just like life...

    Well so I might not be able to return the LSIM 704c. Adorama is giving me a hard time about returning the speaker. They are not replying to my email, over the phone they asked me the email them pics of the speaker to check the box and speaker is in good condition. I think they will also charge me for shipping to and from if i return it. Might not be worth it if they charge me $20+ dollars for shipping each way. Lesson learned I shouldn't have bought from them. Amazon is a much safer place to buy from.

    QUESTION:

    if I cannot return the LISM 704c. What are my options? I can return the S15's I have still. I cannot return the receiver like @mrloren had suggested. Its already past 30 days since I purchased it and to be honest, i am happy with it. It was a big step up from the Yamaha 377 that I had.

    What other front speakers will work with the LSIM center? I need something that is 12" or narrowish floor standing which is not super expensive.

    Thanks in advance.
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,390
    I have only had it for a day but ran through calibration and everything but honestly I am not seeing a big difference nor am i blow away...almost sounds a little lower. What am I missing? Do i need time for it to break in?

    If you are using a sub, it is highly doubtful your receiver is causing any issue or limitations, since the bass should be crossed at 80hz or so.

    You mention not seeing a "big difference" or being "Blown away" with the new center channel speaker. More specifically are you talking sound quality or clarity or simple loudness in comparison with the original center?

    The lsim center should sound somewhat better for sure, and be smoother and less forward perhaps, but honestly, not sure I can say you would be "Blown away" with the difference. It should be more refined, smoother and a bit clearer and so on, but give it some time. Voices should sound more realistic etc, but you may have become used to the original speaker.
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Epos-Now gone
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

  • LegenderLegender Posts: 478
    And... looking at the back of that Onkyo, there are no preouts so adding an amplifier to boost the wattage to the speakers is out of the question. Good thing you like it. The best speaker pair for matching to the center are the LSiM 705 or 703s. 703s are cheaper of course as they are bookshelf speakers but give you quite a bit of bang for the buck. Might be able to find a pair for $600 if you've got some patience.
    If you'd move to AVR that supports preouts and then add a separate amp, you'd have even a bigger step up. But we can save that for the next upgrade. Welcome to the club.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,861
    The lsiM series is basically the only Polk series that really won’t play too nice with any other series. Very different tweeter, more demanding power wise. Your reciever will drive some 703s, that would be your best bet but a lot more expensive. You can find them for $600 as mentioned but may take some time and patience.
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • Jimbo18Jimbo18 Posts: 2,161
    If you don't want to spend the money on the 703's right now, I would just use the S15 as your fronts until they are on sale and you can spare the extra money.

    Or bite the bullet and pay the shipping to return the 704c and get one of the two Signature centers, either one will be cheaper than what you spent on the LSIM, even with the return shipping cost.
    HT - Pio Elite SC-63, Nuance Spatial 3S, Spatial Cen S, FXi50 surrounds, Def Tech PF 15TL+, Belkin PF30, Samsung UBD-M7500, Roku Ultra, Furez 12-2.
    Bedroom - Sony STR DN850, Monitor 5jr+ Series2, CS400 center, Furez 10/2, Roku Ultra
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,861
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    Or bite the bullet and pay the shipping to return the 704c and get one of the two Signature centers, either one will be cheaper than what you spent on the LSIM, even with the return shipping cost.

    I think this makes the most sense given your receiver which has limited power and not preouts. A Signature series setup will complement that receiver well and be very enjoyable for a long time...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • mftohfamftohfa Posts: 17
    Thanks guys that makes a lot of sense. I think that is what I will do.

  • WillowWillow Posts: 9,636
    If it's not too late return the centre and your avr run 2.1 and get a beefier avr with pre-outs.
    2Ch- B&W 703, SVS PB10 NSD, Marantz NR1607, Parasound 1500a, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Yellow) with Acrylic platter, Pro-Ject phono pre, MIT AVT 2 speaker cables, MIT AVT 1 and AVT 2 ICs, XLO Jumpers, Signal Dig Coax, Signal Cable Magic Power Cables x3, Samsung 55JS7000, Harmony 1100, Sony BDP-S6200, Marantz DV-4200 (as Transport), Cambridge Audio DAC Magic100, Monster 3600MKII, Android Mi Box3 and Apple TV. - Pool /Gazebo Yamaha RX-A1010, Polk Patio 25x4, Rotel RDV 1045 (as CDP) MIT AVT3 ICs - Work - Spotify Premium or Neutron App to my FiiO Kunlun into my Grado SR125e

  • Jimbo18Jimbo18 Posts: 2,161
    mftohfa wrote: »
    Thanks guys that makes a lot of sense. I think that is what I will do.

    https://parkergwen.com/products/two-way-center-channel-speaker-each

    nice price on what is generally the preferred Signature center.
    HT - Pio Elite SC-63, Nuance Spatial 3S, Spatial Cen S, FXi50 surrounds, Def Tech PF 15TL+, Belkin PF30, Samsung UBD-M7500, Roku Ultra, Furez 12-2.
    Bedroom - Sony STR DN850, Monitor 5jr+ Series2, CS400 center, Furez 10/2, Roku Ultra
  • mftohfamftohfa Posts: 17
    K_M wrote: »

    If you are using a sub, it is highly doubtful your receiver is causing any issue or limitations, since the bass should be crossed at 80hz or so.

    You mention not seeing a "big difference" or being "Blown away" with the new center channel speaker. More specifically are you talking sound quality or clarity or simple loudness in comparison with the original center?

    The lsim center should sound somewhat better for sure, and be smoother and less forward perhaps, but honestly, not sure I can say you would be "Blown away" with the difference. It should be more refined, smoother and a bit clearer and so on, but give it some time. Voices should sound more realistic etc, but you may have become used to the original speaker.


    Just read this, You make a lot of sense here. Yes I have a sub and I have everything crossing over to the sub at 70 hz. When I say I wasnt blown away, I was expecting a distinct difference in vocals even at low volume. I didnt notice that. In general things seems cleaner but I cant say for sure if its the new center or the new S15's. Maybe the mistake I made is that I upgraded both in a short amount of time.

    Turns out Adorama just got back to me and said they will take it back, without shipping costs. So now I have the option to either return the center and get the S30 or return the S15s and get different front LR' speakers...this is even more difficult now.




  • WillowWillow Posts: 9,636
    mftohfa wrote: »
    K_M wrote: »

    If you are using a sub, it is highly doubtful your receiver is causing any issue or limitations, since the bass should be crossed at 80hz or so.

    You mention not seeing a "big difference" or being "Blown away" with the new center channel speaker. More specifically are you talking sound quality or clarity or simple loudness in comparison with the original center?

    The lsim center should sound somewhat better for sure, and be smoother and less forward perhaps, but honestly, not sure I can say you would be "Blown away" with the difference. It should be more refined, smoother and a bit clearer and so on, but give it some time. Voices should sound more realistic etc, but you may have become used to the original speaker.


    Just read this, You make a lot of sense here. Yes I have a sub and I have everything crossing over to the sub at 70 hz. When I say I wasnt blown away, I was expecting a distinct difference in vocals even at low volume. I didnt notice that. In general things seems cleaner but I cant say for sure if its the new center or the new S15's. Maybe the mistake I made is that I upgraded both in a short amount of time.

    Turns out Adorama just got back to me and said they will take it back, without shipping costs. So now I have the option to either return the center and get the S30 or return the S15s and get different front LR' speakers...this is even more difficult now.




    Your AVR is not meant to be paired with LSIs, your best bet is return the centre and get a matching one.
    2Ch- B&W 703, SVS PB10 NSD, Marantz NR1607, Parasound 1500a, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Yellow) with Acrylic platter, Pro-Ject phono pre, MIT AVT 2 speaker cables, MIT AVT 1 and AVT 2 ICs, XLO Jumpers, Signal Dig Coax, Signal Cable Magic Power Cables x3, Samsung 55JS7000, Harmony 1100, Sony BDP-S6200, Marantz DV-4200 (as Transport), Cambridge Audio DAC Magic100, Monster 3600MKII, Android Mi Box3 and Apple TV. - Pool /Gazebo Yamaha RX-A1010, Polk Patio 25x4, Rotel RDV 1045 (as CDP) MIT AVT3 ICs - Work - Spotify Premium or Neutron App to my FiiO Kunlun into my Grado SR125e

  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 2,085
    The signatures are nice speakers. I'd go with returning the 704c and getting either the S30 or S35.

    LSIm like a lot of power more than your AVR can deliver.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

    Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk LsiM 705
    Center: Polk LSiM 704C
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

    Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

    Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc
    Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) Advent Prodigy (listening)
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mftohfamftohfa Posts: 17
    Thanks guys looks like its pretty unanimous that I should return the LISM and get the S30 or S35. So I will do that.

    Any recommendation between the two? I dont have the height limitation between the S30 and S35. S30 is significantly cheaper than S35. Not sure which one is better.
  • Jimbo18Jimbo18 Posts: 2,161
    I haven't heard either but most of the posts on here have indicated the S30 is the better speaker. It has fewer drivers but they are much bigger.
    HT - Pio Elite SC-63, Nuance Spatial 3S, Spatial Cen S, FXi50 surrounds, Def Tech PF 15TL+, Belkin PF30, Samsung UBD-M7500, Roku Ultra, Furez 12-2.
    Bedroom - Sony STR DN850, Monitor 5jr+ Series2, CS400 center, Furez 10/2, Roku Ultra
  • mftohfamftohfa Posts: 17
    mftohfa wrote: »
    Thanks guys looks like its pretty unanimous that I should return the LISM and get the S30 or S35. So I will do that.

    Any recommendation between the two? I dont have the height limitation between the S30 and S35. S30 is significantly cheaper than S35. Not sure which one is better.

    Cool...once again. Bigger is better
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 2,085
    edited February 5
    If you have to room an S30 is the way to go. Has a much fuller sound than the S35.

    S35 is a slim speaker made for a more special placement, like in front of the TV or wall mounted.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

    Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk LsiM 705
    Center: Polk LSiM 704C
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

    Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

    Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc
    Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) Advent Prodigy (listening)
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • spongersponger Posts: 325
    edited February 7
    I didn't hear any improvement at all from adding a 704c to a pair of 705 until I heard it play multi-channel music from SACD. Then it was simply jaw-dropping how smooth and transparent singers' voices became. Other than that, it was just there to make dialog more audible during movies, which is something basically any center will do. So, I think the problem is that you expect to be wowed by a center. I seriously doubt that will ever happen with some rare exceptions I guess. Sure there are people who swear by their center channels. I'll acknowledge that.

    But, unless there was something wrong with the previous speakers, a speaker upgrade even on the magnitude of the LSiM won't make average / poor recordings sound better. If anything, you'll hear more of the imperfection. You're not going to hear the real potential of that series unless they're hooked up to the right gear. Otherwise, you're just going to hear more of the same that you had already been hearing, which actually sounds like what happened. You stated that it just sounds the same, not better or worse. I would call that a success, and I would not blame Adorama for putting up resistance to a customer that was basically browsing / experimenting in this case. Those prices are basically close-out prices, and they're prices that would be untenable if customers could simply return items on a whim.
    Denon AVR 3312CI
    S15
    Sony 790S
    Denon DP 300f
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!