My speakers setup

2»

Comments

• sponger wrote: »
    I didn't hear any improvement at all from adding a 704c to a pair of 705 until I heard it play multi-channel music from SACD. Then it was simply jaw-dropping how smooth and transparent singers' voices became. Other than that, it was just there to make dialog more audible during movies, which is something basically any center will do. So, I think the problem is that you expect to be wowed by a center. I seriously doubt that will ever happen with some rare exceptions I guess. Sure there are people who swear by their center channels. I'll acknowledge that.

But, unless there was something wrong with the previous speakers, a speaker upgrade even on the magnitude of the LSiM won't make average / poor recordings sound better. If anything, you'll hear more of the imperfection. You're not going to hear the real potential of that series unless they're hooked up to the right gear. Otherwise, you're just going to hear more of the same that you had already been hearing, which actually sounds like what happened. You stated that it just sounds the same, not better or worse. I would call that a success, and I would not blame Adorama for putting up resistance to a customer that was basically browsing / experimenting in this case. Those prices are basically close-out prices, and they're prices that would be untenable if customers could simply return items on a whim.

Yes I understand now what you mean about it not being mind blowing but being able to delivery clarity from quality audio and at at levels.

I got really good advice from all the folks here and I realized that even though the LSIm was an excellent center channel, it is not the right one for my setup. Reason being I was not going to buy the front L / R LSIm's since they are so much more expensive, and with my Onkyo receiver which I just recently bought the LISm was not a good match. I also do not have a giant living room or theater room where I am playing this system.

I was able to return the channel to Adorama. I packed it exactly as I got it and i bought the S30 center along with S50's from them. I was able to set it all up yesterday and it sounds great! I am sure if I had purchased all LSIm channels it would have been a tremendous upgrade, but the cost and number of equipment I would have to replace would be prohibitive.

Thanks again everyone and look forward to bi-wiring and bi-amping, so look out for more questions :)

Ken

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    mftohfa wrote: »
    sponger wrote: »
    I didn't hear any improvement at all from adding a 704c to a pair of 705 until I heard it play multi-channel music from SACD. Then it was simply jaw-dropping how smooth and transparent singers' voices became. Other than that, it was just there to make dialog more audible during movies, which is something basically any center will do. So, I think the problem is that you expect to be wowed by a center. I seriously doubt that will ever happen with some rare exceptions I guess. Sure there are people who swear by their center channels. I'll acknowledge that.

But, unless there was something wrong with the previous speakers, a speaker upgrade even on the magnitude of the LSiM won't make average / poor recordings sound better. If anything, you'll hear more of the imperfection. You're not going to hear the real potential of that series unless they're hooked up to the right gear. Otherwise, you're just going to hear more of the same that you had already been hearing, which actually sounds like what happened. You stated that it just sounds the same, not better or worse. I would call that a success, and I would not blame Adorama for putting up resistance to a customer that was basically browsing / experimenting in this case. Those prices are basically close-out prices, and they're prices that would be untenable if customers could simply return items on a whim.

Yes I understand now what you mean about it not being mind blowing but being able to delivery clarity from quality audio and at at levels.

I got really good advice from all the folks here and I realized that even though the LSIm was an excellent center channel, it is not the right one for my setup. Reason being I was not going to buy the front L / R LSIm's since they are so much more expensive, and with my Onkyo receiver which I just recently bought the LISm was not a good match. I also do not have a giant living room or theater room where I am playing this system.

I was able to return the channel to Adorama. I packed it exactly as I got it and i bought the S30 center along with S50's from them. I was able to set it all up yesterday and it sounds great! I am sure if I had purchased all LSIm channels it would have been a tremendous upgrade, but the cost and number of equipment I would have to replace would be prohibitive.

Thanks again everyone and look forward to bi-wiring and bi-amping, so look out for more questions :)

Ken

Glad it worked out in the end and that you are enjoying them.
  • Willow wrote: »

Glad it worked out in the end and that you are enjoying them.

:) thanks you guys!