Thinking about an Integrated

Options
My pre may be on the fritz, so I am contemplating going back to an integrated to simplify....McIntosh, Vincent, and yes....Musical Fidelity. I may even sell over my vinyl gear to help fund this. So....any ideas? Budget is 2K max, SS or tubed is fine, and used from the right seller is fine. Thanks....

Comments

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    That would work....nicely.
  • rburgess714
    Options
    There’s a Parasound Halo Integrated for $1500 on the forum flea market.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184894/lots-of-gear-for-sale#latest
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
    Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    There’s a Parasound Halo Integrated for $1500 on the forum flea market.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184894/lots-of-gear-for-sale#latest

That’s long gone...cause I was seriously contemplating it. Skip needs to update that thread!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rburgess714
    Options
    Oh well. If I didn’t have the P5/A23 combo I would have jumped all over that.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited January 2019
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    My pre may be on the fritz, so I am contemplating going back to an integrated to simplify....McIntosh, Vincent, and yes....Musical Fidelity. I may even sell over my vinyl gear to help fund this. So....any ideas? Budget is 2K max, SS or tubed is fine, and used from the right seller is fine. Thanks....

I was/am contemplating the same thing. I tried a Musical Fidelity M2si and I was not impressed. Despite its feature set (can be used as a dedicated pre if you decide to add an amplifier later - no phono stage or built-in DAC to muck up the signals) and class AB amplification, it just didn't "move" me.

I got a chance to try out the Dayens Ampino with the Mundorf cap upgrade and it is a very good sounding unit. The only downsides to the Ampino, for me, are no remote control and the lack of additional inputs - it on has 2.

Lastly, I have a NAD C316 BEE and it is a very well rounded and great sounding piece of equipment. A little more analytical than the Ampino but not sterile or lifeless by any means. Tons of inputs, especially this and even more on the newer v2 model. The NAD & the Ampino both feature a toroidal transformer. The only downside to the NAD is the volume control using the remote; it goes from quiet to loud pretty abruptly.

After extended listening at moderate volume levels, neither the AMpino or the NAD got even remotely warm. The MF is avail for $599 from Upscale Audio (sale price and less expensive than anywhere else). The Ampino was ~ $500 with the upgraded caps IIRC. The NAD is the least expensive at under $400 but it is not the worst performer. Cost doesn't - quality or performance in this example.

If you're into tube gear, the $2750 Bob Carver Corp Crimson 275 stereo tube power amplifier is getting some great press but there's a waiting period.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • kevhed72
    Options
    If I go the MF route, I may look to their older integrateds with the built in tubes. I know these may be pricey buy always lusted over one...maybe lusted is the wrong word. McIntosh is another brand I have never owned but which I would like some day.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    I heard a Luxman L-505UX the other day which sounded real nice and sure like the meters. He said he paid used about what your budget is.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Most importantly, what speakers?!?
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • kevhed72
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Most importantly, what speakers?!?

Totem Rainmakers
  • kevhed72
    Options

How happy are you with this combo, because I already have the amp but no pre
  • rburgess714
    Options

How happy are you with this combo, because I already have the amp but no pre

It’s worked out well for me, I wanted a pre with ht bypass and had the A23 already so it made sense. It does everything I need. I primarily stream through my Auralic mini.

Some say the sound is analytical/sterile but to my ears there is good synergy with my 60s and it sounds great, wide sound stage, detailed and not forward at all. Do keep in mind I jumped in the rabbit hole a little over 2 years ago and have been through some gear but certainly haven’t heard as much gear as most of the forum members.
    Living Room

Office

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    I have a nice Odyssey setup available 😜
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • kevhed72
    Options
    Alright....I spent all weekend at a swim meet looking at integrateds online...and here is a short list:
    1. Marantz PM 14 s1
    2. Dayens Ecstasy 2 or 3
    3. Vincent SV700 but this really pushes the budget
    4. Rogue Audio but the Pharaoh pushes the budget.
    5. Cambridge Audio 840

Any other contenders out there?
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Alright....I spent all weekend at a swim meet looking at integrateds online...and here is a short list:
    1. Marantz PM 14 s1
    2. Dayens Ecstasy 2 or 3
    3. Vincent SV700 but this really pushes the budget
    4. Rogue Audio but the Pharaoh pushes the budget.
    5. Cambridge Audio 840

Any other contenders out there?

I wouldn't go with the Dayens. Their CS and support of their products are a little off.

Is there a certain sound signature you are after?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • kevhed72
    Options
    Detailed and 3D....without being too foward. Everything I have read on the Dayens tells me its right in the middle, sweet spot. The Vincent appeals because of the tubed pre to play with the sound and the MK 236 was a past favorite of mine.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    If you can find a good deal on one, I’ve been really happy with the Rotel RA1592 that’s currently in my 2ch system.

If you can find an amazing deal on one, the McIntosh MA252 is awesome.

The McIntosh seems to pair really nicely with Totem speakers. My Father has one hooked up to his Totem Signature One speakers.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Tubes and totems are fantastic. I only had a Jolida with my RM’s but I miss that combo. Great for classical and jazz. Not so much for full heavy rock and electronica. If I had the opportunity to have a secondary rig, I would get some tubes again.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Primaluna….That new Carver 275, Mac, you should have grabbed that MF A5 in the FM for a g note.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Primaluna’s are fantastic, good rec tony.
  • joecoulson
    Options
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Amen Joe, lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kevhed72
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Primaluna….That new Carver 275, Mac, you should have grabbed that MF A5 in the FM for a g note.
    I know right....thats what I get for driving my kids to swim practice! :p
  • kevhed72
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    Options
    Funny, I don't seem to notice many "Mac guys" on the forums braggin' much on their McAires. :|

n9uj0b3cy2zp.png

fxrc8bqpd2vn.png

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/lifestyle/McAire
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    edited January 2019
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Funny, I don't seem to notice many "Mac guys" on the forums braggin' much on their McAires. :|

n9uj0b3cy2zp.png

fxrc8bqpd2vn.png

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/lifestyle/McAire

They list it as a "lifestyle" product, but it should be called a "High WAF" product.
    My girlfriend has a JBL Authentics L16 for this exact reason. She loves the look, it fits on one shelf, and it does sound better than most 1 box products. She's fully aware she could have easily gotten an integrated and speakers, including some with style. That was not of interest though. Once she saw this it was a must have product.
    Assuming the day comes where we live together and have some more square footage to work with, I expect the L16 and her turntable to live in the living room, and my system to live deeper in the house out of the main areas.
    JBL-L1628570.jpg
    23_2_4.png

Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited January 2019
    Options

This NAD is around 1600.00 now. ;)B)

I haven't heard one yet but they're on the used market now. I think the reviews were OK.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NAD-M3-Dual-Mono-Integrated-Amplifier-
    Remote/332969850249?epid=117462224&hash=item4d868cb589:g:SJYAAOSw8LZcHXso:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true
    szoyjofa5lju.png

5b96kypaxign.png

mfe7pzpy0487.png

yxa1s5rsc8gf.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    I really like the way those look
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    Options
    Holy cow, that's a beefy looking NAD amplifier!